A Snow and ski forum. SkiBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » SkiBanter forum » Skiing Newsgroups » Nordic Skiing
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Calling Dave Dermott! -- DIY skate sharpening jig?

Old February 14th 13, 02:42 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Calling Dave Dermott! -- DIY skate sharpening jig?

Dave, you there?

I can't find a forum for speed or nordic skates. There's one but the admin is closed. I searched and they have no info on DIY jigs anyway.

I sell budget Nordic Skates for about $40 (the nice old woodies). It seems like the sharpening jigs are about the same price. I was hoping there might be a way to DIY a jig out of simple homeshop items. If someone gets into the sport then sure buy nicer blades and a real jig.

Any ideas or leads?

The goal is to run a stone at flat across the blade. It's easy to tilt a stone so a jig makes it so you can clamp two skates side by side and run a stone across both, flat, at the same time. Nice. Seems like a DIY jig might be easy to make. Some pieces of wood, bolts and wing-nuts. I'd like to provide customers with a graphic. I personally have an old jig so haven't had to invest the time fabricating my own...
Ads