Tips visiting on BIG BEAR, CA

Old November 20th 05, 02:18 AM

Default Tips visiting on BIG BEAR, CA

Hello All,

I'd greatly appreciate if someone can:

1) Provide guidance/comments on the average January skiing conditions
on the Big Bear Mountain, CA

2) Provide tips on where to look for a rental house (we have ~10 people
who would like to rent a house on 12/30/05 - 1/2/06

Best,

Vasa

Old November 20th 05, 02:50 AM

The Real Bev wrote:
wrote:

I'd greatly appreciate if someone can:

1) Provide guidance/comments on the average January skiing conditions
on the Big Bear Mountain, CA

OK. As long as Snow Summit claims to have 2 feet of snow (manmade included),
skiing is acceptable. More is, of course, better. I've skied at Big Bear
since 198x and I have no idea what "average" means here :-(

http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliRECtM.pl?cabibe gives average annual
December snowfall as 8.9 inches and 14.3 inches in January, but most of what
you'll be skiing on is man-made and groomed as quickly as possible.

Webcams here sometimes:

http://www.snowsummit.com/cams.php

This guy collects lots of SoCal info: http://www.skisocal.org/

2) Provide tips on where to look for a rental house (we have ~10 people
who would like to rent a house on 12/30/05 - 1/2/06

No info -- I've always done day trips, but maybe this will help:
http://www.bigbear.com/

Expect it to be crowded, and be prepared to pay top dollar. I once went up on
Jan 1 figuring that everybody else would be watching the Rose Parade and
football game. Wrong. I was also wrong about MLK Day and Teachers'
Conference Day (no school for any kid in at least two SoCal counties). All
holidays suck.

--
Cheers,
Bev

Subscribe today to "Fire in the Hole - the Quarterly Journal
for Incinerator Toilet Enthusiasts" -- Andrew

Old November 20th 05, 05:36 AM

The Real Bev wrote:

Expect it to be crowded, and be prepared to pay top dollar. I once
went up on Jan 1 figuring that everybody else would be watching the
Rose Parade and football game. Wrong. I was also wrong about MLK Day
and Teachers' Conference Day (no school for any kid in at least two
SoCal counties). All holidays suck.

Never been to Big Bear, but I've found that the good skiing on New
Year's Day in the Northeast is best in the EARLY morning - before
everyone who had too much to drink and/or stayed up too late the night
before gets up.

Janet

p.s. Just don't aks HOW I manage to get up early on new years day -
sometimes I'm not sure myself

Old November 21st 05, 02:09 AM

Guys, this is great. Thanks for the info!

Any tips on where i can lookup Big Bear condos online?

Vasa