Dynastar Intuitiv 69L...for a guy?

Old December 8th 03, 12:31 AM
William Steve

Default Dynastar Intuitiv 69L...for a guy?

Hi, I'm a once-upon-a-time-good-skier just getting back into things
after about 8-10 years off. I took my old skis in for a tuning and
was told that for $50 they'd get them all set for me, but for $200
they could put me in a ski that would be much better than my old,
straight skis. Since my bindings and boots were newer and in very
good condition, all I would need is new skis. So I go out on the
floor and a salesman explained that for the money there was not a
better ski in the store than this 2002 Dynastar Intuitive 69L and that
they used to sell for about $550 two years ago. They happened to have
only my size, a 169 for $198. It was my lucky day.

I'm usually not one to buy without researching but, since I'm no ski
expert and this salesman said he's been on ski patrol, and taught
skiing for years, for some odd reason I trusted him. So I bought the
Intuitives. A day later I got on the web and starting researching.
Well, needless to say, I discovered that the "L" stands for ladies.
The manager at Ski Market swore up and down that there is NO
DIFFERENCE whatsoever between the mens and womens Intuitive. He said
the only difference is the color and the mount is 1cm up. He said
he'd sell me another ski, but it would be less ski for more money. He
offered the Salomon X Scream, last year's model, for $239, but with
the caveat that it wasn't as good as the Intuitive 69L.

People I talked to since and research on the web indicates that these
Intuitive L skis are probably lighter and less rigid than a mens ski.
I was told by one friend that I should look for less flexible skis.

I ski only in the Northeast USA and only about 10 times per year
(expected). I used to ski all the time when I was younger, so I was
pretty good back then, at least for this part of the world. I'm about
5 feet 11 inches, weigh about 155lbs and I'm in my late 20s. I have
strong, but skinny legs and decent upper body strength. What do you
think, should I keep these skis or get my money back and look for
another deal?

The manager at ski market said it was up to me. FWIW, I did take the
skis out to Vermont this weekend (the manager said that was fine, and
I could still return them if I wanted) and they felt good, but not a
world of difference from my old straight skis.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

To respond to my email, take out the 'takeout' in my address. Thanks,
-William
Old December 8th 03, 10:03 PM
Mary Malmros

Common sense says that since you've skied the things, no one on some
internet forum is going to be able to give you better information
than you already have. I'll offer a couple of thoughts:

- So-called "women's" skis are often designed for lighter skiers.
They bend easier. A softer ski might not be a bad thing for you,
since you're on the light side for your height, and also because
it's your first shaped ski. You just don't gotta hammer 'em like
the old boards, that's not the way to ski 'em, but if you get a
stiffer ski, you might be tempted to do just that.

- If you're the sort to believe that people in the lift line are
pointing and laughing at you because you're using a women's ski,
take 'em back. It won't be worth the worry for you.

--
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ::::::::::::::::::::::::
Mary Malmros
Old December 9th 03, 02:46 PM
Richard M

Mary Malmros said:
Common sense says that since you've skied the things, no one on some
internet forum is going to be able to give you better information
than you already have. I'll offer a couple of thoughts:

- So-called "women's" skis are often designed for lighter skiers.
They bend easier. A softer ski might not be a bad thing for you,
since you're on the light side for your height, and also because
it's your first shaped ski. You just don't gotta hammer 'em like
the old boards, that's not the way to ski 'em, but if you get a
stiffer ski, you might be tempted to do just that.

- If you're the sort to believe that people in the lift line are
pointing and laughing at you because you're using a women's ski,
take 'em back. It won't be worth the worry for you.

If you're worried about what people will say, paint 'em black and
tell everyone they're test skis from the factory. Also works as
theft prevention, as thieves prefer skis that can be easily resold.

I've got a friend who works in the rental shop of a major Utah resort.
He skis on a "woman's" ski (Bandit XL) because he prefers a lighter
and snappier ski.
Old December 9th 03, 03:57 PM
lal_truckee

Richard M wrote:

If you're worried about what people will say, paint 'em black and
tell everyone they're test skis from the factory. Also works as
theft prevention, as thieves prefer skis that can be easily resold.

Test skis are usually painted flat white. Which makes powder cords
pertinent.

Old December 9th 03, 09:28 PM
Richard M

lal_truckee wrote :
Richard M wrote:
If you're worried about what people will say, paint 'em black and
tell everyone they're test skis from the factory. Also works as
theft prevention, as thieves prefer skis that can be easily resold.

Test skis are usually painted flat white. Which makes powder cords
pertinent.

Good point. Better make 'em flourescent orange or something equally obnoxious...