Enjoyable day.

Old July 14th 09, 02:20 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Norm

Default Enjoyable day.

"pigo" wrote in message

Lottery tickets *are* a tax on the poor!

A *tax* is something that you have no choice but to pay.

Most sales taxes would not pass this test.

Lottery tickets are a tax on the inabilty to do simple math. This is not
entirely restricted to th epoor but in some cases does meet the above test.

Old July 14th 09, 02:37 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
MoonMan

Norm wrote:
"pigo" wrote in message

Lottery tickets *are* a tax on the poor!

A *tax* is something that you have no choice but to pay.

Most sales taxes would not pass this test.

Lottery tickets are a tax on the inabilty to do simple math. This is
not entirely restricted to th epoor but in some cases does meet the
above test.

Come to think of it the only sort of tax you have to pay is a poll tax.
because that's a tax on your head.
don't want to pay property taxes? then don't own any property (or move
somewhere they don't have property taxes).
don't want to pay income tax? then don't earn enough to become liable for
income tax
don't want to pay Sales taxes? don't buy anything taxable (or in europe
anything that isn't zero VAT /TVA rated)

etc. etc. etc.

--

Chris *:-)

Old July 14th 09, 06:15 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_6_]

JQ wrote:

"The Real Bev" wrote:
A mighty Hungarian warrior wrote:

I hope everyone had the same day I had. I woke up before dawn, and
went to the country club for a round of golf. Then to the yacht club
for some sailing. Then to the VFW, (Mead Hall), for some drinks with
many heroes, veterans, and proud warriors. Life is good.

Didn't you do all that just the other day? Getting in a rut?

I went to one of the few remaining Bob's Big Boy restaurants (Shoney's,
for you easterners). Well, 'coffee shop' is more like it. It used to
make -- in theory, anyway -- the best chain burgers around. Not any more.
Carl's Jr. and In 'n' Out share top honors now, depending on which is
closer.

The sign claims 'car hop service'. Maybe only on weekend evenings. Or
maybe it's just a sign.

There's no Shoney's out here in the East I know they are up in the North
West (Oregon).

We used to see them back east maybe 40 years ago. There's a third variant Bob's
brand, but I can't remember what it is/was.

We have Bob Big Boys but it is a dying breed that can be seen on the
Turnpike (toll road) and near some off ramps of major expressways, there is
still one left two towns over from me. As a chain store Fuddruckers claims
to be one of the best hamburger joints in these parts.

There was one here for a couple of years, but now it's a CVS. I never bought
anything there, but I went in once to look around. Pretentious and expensive.
If I want to assemble my own food I'll do it at home for 1/4 the price!

--
Cheers, Bev
It's 95% of the lawyers making the other 5% look bad.
Old July 14th 09, 06:17 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_6_]

MoonMan wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:

When I was in college we always ate breakfast at the Bob's near the
school (no carhops, but they did have patio dining). 2 eggs, hash
browns and toast for 35 cents. I forgot to check the menu, but a
burger, fries and salad (they used to give you a wedge of iceberg,
now it's loose lettuce pieces with a slice of cucumber, I guess to
please today's more sophisticated tastes; they also leave the peel
on the fries) Is $7.50+tax+tip, and it isn't that good. Especially since
tax is now 9.75%.

Actually, it's nice to see the income-tax-evading poor getting
screwed with the sales tax. Anybody know if there's a tax on lottery
tickets?

Lottery tickets *are* a tax on the poor!

Good. Also a tax on people who aren't good at math.

Old July 14th 09, 06:22 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_6_]

MoonMan wrote:

Norm wrote:
"pigo" wrote:

Lottery tickets *are* a tax on the poor!

A *tax* is something that you have no choice but to pay.

Most sales taxes would not pass this test.

Lottery tickets are a tax on the inabilty to do simple math. This is not
entirely restricted to th epoor but in some cases does meet the above
test.

Come to think of it the only sort of tax you have to pay is a poll tax.
because that's a tax on your head. don't want to pay property taxes? then
don't own any property (or move somewhere they don't have property taxes).
don't want to pay income tax? then don't earn enough to become liable for
income tax don't want to pay Sales taxes? don't buy anything taxable (or in
europe anything that isn't zero VAT /TVA rated)

We don't have to pay sales tax on food unless it's prepared -- everything else
is taxable. I guess if the only thing you use/buy/eat is raw vegetables you
can get away without paying tax. I guess you could eat raw meat too, but I find
that distaseteful.

OTOH, you don't have to pay sales tax on stuff you steal. I think there's a
lesson in there somewhere...

Old July 14th 09, 06:45 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

The Real Bev wrote:

OTOH, you don't have to pay sales tax on stuff you steal.

But you do have to pay income tax on the value of the things you steal.
The bright side is that you can deduct any business expenses incurred
as a result of the theft (burglary tools, getaway car, disguise, etc.).
You can even deduct your legal expenses when you get caught.

Ain't America wonderful?

//Walt
Old July 14th 09, 07:33 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_6_]

Walt wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:

OTOH, you don't have to pay sales tax on stuff you steal.

But you do have to pay income tax on the value of the things you steal.

Did the victim issue you a 1099? If not, it didn't happen! If he actually DID
give you one, make sure you do a Schedule C and deposit some of the profits in
your Keogh [or whatever they call it now] account.

The bright side is that you can deduct any business expenses incurred
as a result of the theft (burglary tools, getaway car, disguise, etc.).
You can even deduct your legal expenses when you get caught.

And NEVER forget mileage. It really adds up!

Ain't America wonderful?

No question about it!

--
Cheers, Bev
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Old July 14th 09, 08:13 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

The Real Bev wrote:
Walt wrote:
The Real Bev wrote:

OTOH, you don't have to pay sales tax on stuff you steal.

But you do have to pay income tax on the value of the things you steal.

Did the victim issue you a 1099?

But, of course. To not do so would be *dishonest*.

The only alternative is to do a W2, but for some reason they really push
back about paying their share of FICA. Cheap *******s.

//Walt

Old July 14th 09, 08:28 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_6_]

Walt wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:
Walt wrote:
The Real Bev wrote:

OTOH, you don't have to pay sales tax on stuff you steal.

But you do have to pay income tax on the value of the things you steal.

Did the victim issue you a 1099?

But, of course. To not do so would be *dishonest*.

The only alternative is to do a W2, but for some reason they really push
back about paying their share of FICA. Cheap *******s.

I don't think a casual thief could be considered a W2 employee unless he
repeated the theft on a more or less regular basis under the direction of the
employer, and I just don't think the average victim is interested in setting up
as a continuing business. Come on, would YOU want to do it?

If the thief was part of a gang then the gang leader might be required to list
him as a W2 employee, but given the casual nature of the employment I think
that would be iffy. The thief would probably not want to take the leader to
court to force him to pay FICA, state disability, unemployment, etc. back to
the day the thief started work, and that's really the only recourse the thief
would have.

--
Cheers, Bev
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++
Old July 14th 09, 09:15 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
A mighty Hungarian warrior

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 15:37:01 +0100, "MoonMan"
wrote this crap:

Come to think of it the only sort of tax you have to pay is a poll tax.
because that's a tax on your head.
don't want to pay property taxes? then don't own any property (or move
somewhere they don't have property taxes).
don't want to pay income tax? then don't earn enough to become liable for
income tax
don't want to pay Sales taxes? don't buy anything taxable (or in europe
anything that isn't zero VAT /TVA rated)

I don't pay tax on green fees, or on cart rental. There's leadership.

I'm sure somebody does, but it isn't me.

And vote for Palin-Ahhnold in 2012.

A mighty Hungarian warrior
The blood of Attila runs through me