Natasha Richardson

Old March 19th 09, 05:23 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
bdubya

Default Natasha Richardson

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 08:00:22 -0700, "Norm"
wrote:

"Evojeesus" wrote in message
On Mar 19, 1:50 pm, Walt wrote:
Evojeesus wrote:
Ok folks, just wear your helmet when you're skiing or on a motorbike,
the life you save might be your own...

Dr. Eugene Flamm, chairman of neurosurgery at Montefiore
Medical Center in New York, said there is little evidence
in this case that a helmet would have warded off
Richardson's injury.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Health/Min...7116273&page=1

The helmet can reduce g-forces to the head and if g-forces caused the
thing, the helmet may well have helped, whether or not there's
documented evidence of that or not. I read some of the discussion on
the subject and people claimed that there are dozens of concussion-
injuries per ski resort per year, the vast majority with people who
were not wearing helmets.

=====================

I agree its a good idea to wear a helmet. I wear a helmet. I strongly
suggest to my kids they wear helmets. (one of two does, the other is an
adult now and makes his own choices) I've seen head injuries in non helmet
wearing skiers.

However, I read where this accident is rekindling discussion regarding
making helmet use mandatory. I have a problem telling people they must wear
a helmet. Whats next, body armour? Cut down all the trees?

Of course it will rekindle such discussion; celebrity deaths are funny
that way. IIRC, after Sonny Bono there was talk about whether resorts
should offer glade skiing. Hopefully it'll go no further. I wear a
helmet while skiing, but like having the option of not wearing it on
any given day.

Sad about Ms. Richardson; sad about every other ski death, too.

bw
Old March 19th 09, 06:35 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
A mighty Hungarian warrior

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 04:02:14 -0700 (PDT), Evojeesus
wrote this crap:

Wuss! * Don't tell me what to do, dumbass.

I'm telling you to wear a helmet while skiing, that's what Hungarian
warrior-characters do in battle anyway.

Don't tell me what to do, dumbass. If you **** me off, you know what
will happen.

I live a life of action,adventure, and danger. If you **** me off, my
armies will destroy you, and your family will be sold into slavery.

You will be doomed, DOOMED, I say, and your lands will be forever
cursed.

And vote for Palin-Ahhnold in 2012.

A mighty Hungarian warrior
The blood of Attila runs through me
Old March 19th 09, 06:36 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
A mighty Hungarian warrior

wrote this crap:

However, I read where this accident is rekindling discussion regarding
making helmet use mandatory. I have a problem telling people they must wear
a helmet. Whats next, body armour?

BODY ARMOR! I love it. And carry a sword and shield. Wear chain
mail, too. And wear a flack jacket.

Old March 19th 09, 07:37 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Evojeesus

On Mar 19, 7:35*pm, A mighty Hungarian
wrote:

And vote for Palin-Ahhnold in 2012.

You have a sick sense of humour.
Old March 19th 09, 07:39 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Evojeesus

On Mar 19, 8:44*pm, bdubya wrote:

A helmet can protect against g-forces, by deforming and
absorbing part of the impact, but somehow I doubt that on a green run
during a lesson, she hit hard enough to deform a helmet , so I doubt a
helmet would have helped.

At least the helmet is padded. If you hit your head on ice while ice-
skating you know that even wearing a hat helps compared with skull-to-
ice contact.

Old March 19th 09, 07:44 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
bdubya

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 09:28:05 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Mar 19, 8:50*am, Walt wrote:
Evojeesus wrote:
Ok folks, just wear your helmet when you're skiing or on a motorbike,
the life you save might be your own...

* *Dr. Eugene Flamm, chairman of neurosurgery at Montefiore
* *Medical Center in New York, said there is little evidence
* *in this case that a helmet would have warded off
* *Richardson's injury.

True, because there is no evidence of exactly what her injury was, or
what the precise cause of death was. That information hasn't been
released. Since we know almost nothing beyond the facts that she fell
and she died, we don't know whether a helmet would have helped or not.

However, you omitted the other quoted doctor's professional advice &
speculation on this point:
"Faden said that Richardson's death should serve as a reminder to the
public to take precautions against head injury whenever possible. ...
He added that he believes the use of a helmet may have helped lessen
the likelihood of a traumatic brain injury."

May, possibly, have lessened the likelihood. Maybe.
AFAIK, she didn't hit her head on a rock, tree, or other hard or
pointy object. Just a routine hard fall onto snow, so it wasn't a
point impact that did the damage, it was just the g-force of the
sudden stop. A helmet can protect against g-forces, by deforming and

Old March 19th 09, 08:07 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Mar 19, 12:50*pm, bod43 wrote:
On 19 Mar, 16:28, wrote:

However, you omitted the other quoted doctor's professional advice &
speculation on this point:
"Faden said that Richardson's death should serve as a reminder to the
public to take precautions against head injury whenever possible. ...

To mention a couple of examples in the news here.

Especially when standing in the queue for the checkout -http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Sky-News-Archive/Article/20080641318812
"Mr Tripp suffered severe head injuries when he hit
the supermarket floor"

Or when a pedestrian on the pavement (sidewalk -http://www.dailymail.co..uk/news/article-1032894/Parents-anguish-kille...
"suffering fatal injuries as she hit her head on the pavement"

In fact, why not just stay in bed - much safer - except it's
not of course, you will just die sooner with some problem
related to inactivity.

I'm not sure if you have a point or are just being cynical. Naturally,
everyone has to decide for himself or herself what steps prudence
requires. But let's not pretend that everyday life is the same as an
afternoon on the slopes, even for a beginner. Freak accidents can
occur anywhere, but with good health and normal caution, it's possible
to avoid falls in the home or at the workplace for very long stretches
of time. If you want to wear a helmet while trudging up the stairs to
your bedroom, fine, but chances are you could make that trip 1,000
times and not fall once. In contrast, everyone falls on the slopes
occasionally. If you challenge yourself in any reasonable way, you
will fall from time to time. It's the nature of the activity: slippery
surfaces + fast speeds = occasional wipeouts.

The strong argument for wearing a helmet while skiing or snowboarding
cannot be reduced to the weak argument for wearing a helmet while
engaging in any activity with even the slightest risk.

Joe Ramirez
Old March 19th 09, 09:31 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

Evojeesus wrote:

On Mar 19, 8:44 pm, bdubya wrote:

A helmet can protect against g-forces, by deforming and
absorbing part of the impact, but somehow I doubt that on a green run
during a lesson, she hit hard enough to deform a helmet , so I doubt a
helmet would have helped.

At least the helmet is padded. If you hit your head on ice while ice-
skating you know that even wearing a hat helps compared with skull-to-
ice contact.

As does hair. As does cotton cloth in a skin-to-asphalt encounter.

--
Cheers, Bev
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~
Old March 19th 09, 09:38 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

comadrejo wrote:
This is the run that Natasha Richardson went down at Tremblant, it is
pretty pedestrian. What change a bunny slope fall into a lethal injury
is the surface..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7q9uLO9NqM

Are you sure it was Nansen? Got a cite?

The press reports called it the "bunny hill" which I assumed was one of
the magic carpet areas at the base, not the top-to-bottom green
"beginner" run.

//Walt
Old March 19th 09, 09:44 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
A mighty Hungarian warrior

wrote:

And vote for Palin-Ahhnold in 2012.

You have a sick sense of humour.