Fallback Options

Old November 22nd 05, 02:34 AM

Default Fallback Options

I'm coming into Park City for a business meeting on Dec 5-7 and decided
to add a few (4) days with a buddy up front to visit Snowbird and Alta.
However, with temps in the high 50s and no snow in sight until after
Thanksgiving I'm considering the options. I'd appreciate any thoughts:

1) Trust that Ullr hasn't deserted the Utahns for still supporting Bush
(still high 50s -- like the temps) and that it will be snowing when I
arrive on the 30th.

2) Getting in the car and driving till it gets colder and deeper. I'd
put the limit on this at 6 hours. From mapquest,etc that looks like it
could get us to Grand Targhee (30+inches mid mountain and open).

3) Just be grateful I'm making turns anywhere. The season doesn't
start in Pennsylvania for another month.

Any other recommendations than Targhee in terms of base per hour of
travel?

-- Tom McK

Old November 22nd 05, 02:51 AM

Tom wrote:

Any other recommendations than Targhee in terms of base per hour of
travel?

Rent a car and go visit the desert. Really. Cheap. No one there. Nice
weather. Great hiking, biking, exploring, etc... A great day exploring
the desert seems better than a bad day of skiing. Just my opinion.

Beware of weather.

-klaus

Old November 22nd 05, 03:23 AM

AstroPax wrote:

Zion, Bryce, or Canyonlands....they'll all be empty.

A friend got a room in Moab last weekend for $38. Then you have Island
in the Sky, Arches, and Deadhorse Point that could easily keep you
occupied for a week. I'd imagine Carmel Junction and Loa/Torrey would
be pretty damn cheap, too. Ruby's for Bryce, but they get some winter
business although they're probably hurting right now. Call 'em up and
barter, see where you get a ridiculous deal. I'm starting to talk
myself into it for next weekend..

-klaus

Old November 22nd 05, 04:51 AM

"AstroPax" wrote in message
On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 02:51:06 +0000 (UTC), klaus
wrote:

Tom wrote:

Any other recommendations than Targhee in terms of base per hour
of
travel?

Rent a car and go visit the desert. Really.

Zion, Bryce, or Canyonlands....they'll all be empty.

-Astro

It's a great time of year to get a cheap houseboat at Lake Powell
too.

Old November 22nd 05, 10:53 AM

Thanks. All great suggestions, save for the failure to mention snow.
An oversight I suppose.

Old November 22nd 05, 04:55 PM

"Tom" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks. All great suggestions, save for the failure to mention snow.
An oversight I suppose.

Judging by your political points I would just stear clear of Utah. You would
just find something to complain about afterwards anyways right?

30inches is normal for utah and near areas (6 hours), but lets see what
happens on Sat and Monday...

Old November 22nd 05, 07:19 PM

Thanks. Things do appear to be looking up for this weekend...

Did I make a political point? I believe it a fact that Utah still
supports Bush at a high level.
http://tinyurl.com/csnlh
Amusingly, it is the inverse of Pennsylvania
http://tinyurl.com/83t5o

But, no I really don't think Ullr is punishing Utah. I mean, look at
how much snow Texas gets.

Old November 22nd 05, 07:48 PM

Tom wrote:

Any other recommendations than Targhee in terms of base per hour of
travel?

Rent a car and go visit the desert. Really.

Zion, Bryce, or Canyonlands....they'll all be empty.

Well of course they'll be empty. That's what makes them *canyons*.

If they were filled in, they'd look like someplace in Nebraska.

//Walt
//
// ...just trying to be helpful...
Old November 22nd 05, 09:46 PM

On 21 Nov 2005 18:34:12 -0800, "Tom" wrote:

[...]

Well, looks like NW Michigan is getting off to a good start. That
doesn't help, I know, but it's still good news.

bw
Old November 22nd 05, 11:34 PM

How many hours would it take to get to Summit County, CO? They have at
least 6 areas open, mabe more.

H. R.(Bob) Hofmann