"Madman across the Water".

Old November 18th 03, 09:17 PM
Walt

Default "Madman across the Water".

sjjohnston wrote:

I don't know if anyone has pointed this out (due to my aversion to
wading through vitriol), but I'm fairly confident that the "Madman
Across the Water" to which the album title refers is Elton John
himself. See, he was aware of this thing called "perspective:" when
he's in the US, he's the guy from across the water.

And here I thought it was Bernie Taubman (the guy who wrote the lyrics
to almost all of Elton's songs). Shows what I know.

--
//-Walt
//
Old November 18th 03, 09:43 PM
Schneck

"Inger Skramstad Jørstad" wrote in message
"The Real Bev" skrev i melding

When the Czechs and the Slovaks split up,
Slovakia became of course still Slovakia (SVK), or "the Slovak Republic",
but the Czechs did not wish their country to be called "Czecho" (ENG),

What??? Sorry, but you've just lopped off "Slovakia" from "Czechoslovakia"
to say what it would have been in English??? Err.... no!!! I believe there's
a diplomatic protocol in place where the naming of new states from the break
up of an old one is left to the state itself and then adopted by everybody
else. And if memory serves, the Czech Republic was called that before the
Soviet Union amalgamated it with Slovakia.

Old November 18th 03, 09:48 PM
bdubya

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 17:17:16 -0500, Walt
wrote:

sjjohnston wrote:

I don't know if anyone has pointed this out (due to my aversion to
wading through vitriol), but I'm fairly confident that the "Madman
Across the Water" to which the album title refers is Elton John
himself. See, he was aware of this thing called "perspective:" when
he's in the US, he's the guy from across the water.

And here I thought it was Bernie Taubman (the guy who wrote the lyrics
to almost all of Elton's songs). Shows what I know.

Taupin.

Taubman's the shopping mall guy.

HTH. HAND.
bw
Old November 18th 03, 09:52 PM
Inger Skramstad Jørstad

"Schneck" skrev i melding
What??? Sorry, but you've just lopped off "Slovakia" from

"Czechoslovakia"
to say what it would have been in English??

Well, it was in fact suggested by some, maybe not too seriously, but this
"name" was luckily soon abandoned.

a diplomatic protocol in place where the naming of new states from the

break
up of an old one is left to the state itself and then adopted by everybody
else. And if memory serves, the Czech Republic was called that before the
Soviet Union amalgamated it with Slovakia.

BTW, do you know where Oslo ( = the capital city of Norway) is? In the
middle of Czechoslovakia, obviously. A good one some years ago, that one
was.

Old November 18th 03, 09:57 PM
Inger Skramstad Jørstad

"Walt" skrev i melding
And here I thought it was Bernie Taubman (the guy who wrote the lyrics
to almost all of Elton's songs). Shows what I know.

Good point, I have actually never really thought of that. Could "The Madman
across the Water actually in fact be him, and not Elton?? (And no, it is not
called "The Madam across the Water".)

Old November 18th 03, 10:10 PM
Inger Skramstad Jørstad

"Inger Skramstad Jørstad" skrev i melding
news
BTW, do you know where Oslo ( = the capital city of Norway) is? Right in

the
middle of Czechoslovakia, obviously. A good one some years ago, that one

was.

You all got that? Czech-oslo-vakia, right?

Old November 18th 03, 10:12 PM
Inger Skramstad Jørstad

"bdubya" skrev i melding
Taupin.
Taubman's the shopping mall guy.

Quite correct, the name is Bernie Taupin, I missed that one.

Old November 18th 03, 11:09 PM
The Real Bev

tm wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:
tm wrote:
"pigo" wrote:
"Inger Skramstad Jørstad" wrote

and NOT Turkey, a name which they find
degrading and offensive.

Too bad for them I guess. That's the name on the maps I read.

Is that one of those bizarre maps that puts the americas in the center
and cuts eurasia in half? Those things are really hard to use. My
world map has Japan in the center.

I assume you've seen the one that has New York in the center...

No. I'd like to see that. I'll bet they are available in NY?

Probably. There's an equivalent 'Hollywood' map too. Imagine you are a
half a mile off the coast of NYC and half a mile up, looking west at a
more-or-less 3-D view. NYC takes up 3/4 of the foreground and many
landmarks are labeled. Next, you see something called The Mississippi
River. Then The Rockies, Pacific Ocean, Asia and Europe.

I've also got a big National Geographic map that i cut down the
Atlantic and pieced back together so I can see Asia without going
back and forth.

Oh fine, I suppose you completely eliminated Ascension Island. What are
you, some kind of continentcentric snob?

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old November 19th 03, 01:47 AM
Walt

sjjohnston wrote:

I don't know if anyone has pointed this out (due to my aversion to
wading through vitriol), but I'm fairly confident that the "Madman
Across the Water" to which the album title refers is Elton John
himself. See, he was aware of this thing called "perspective:" when
he's in the US, he's the guy from across the water.

And here I thought it was Bernie Taubman (the guy who wrote the lyrics
to almost all of Elton's songs). Shows what I know.

Taupin.

Taubman's the shopping mall guy.

HTH. HAND.
bw

Ok. As I said before, shows what I know.

//-Walt
//
//There is no Volkl Conspiracy