Can Snowboarders and skiiers be friends?

Old March 22nd 05, 08:54 AM
Switters

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 18:20:54 GMT, Andy Turner
allegedly wrote:

Experienced boarders try to come to a stop so as to build up a little
snow under their board as a kind of perch to rest on - but it rarely
works and depends largely on the conditions as to whether it's
possible.

Actually I tend to do that nearly all the time. However, you're right
sometimes conditions just don't let you do that.

- Dave.

http://www.vpas.org/ - Snowboarding the worlds pow pow -
Securing your e-mail

The Snowboard FAQ lives here - http://rssFAQ.org/
Old March 23rd 05, 01:02 AM
David

"lonerider" wrote in message ups.com...
Actually "park-inexperienced" adults tend to ignore proper park/pipe
etiquette more than younger skiiers/riders (there are 3 basic rules)
but that's another story.

Doesn't matter. What are the basic rules?

Old March 24th 05, 07:25 PM
L H

Bri: Better get your ski friend to try the boards. He/she might enjoy
a no-poles ride on a groomed run.

Since 1960 I have taught hundreds to board from their ski backgrounds.
All have thanked me many times. The boards open a terrain the skier may
NEVER see or appreciate. Skiing, as we know it, continues to phase out
each year. Watch the boarders take over each ski area, one by one, each
year.

Friends......of course ! Do ski area mgts, NSAA, like it....absolutely
not ! Why ? Older skiers spend money $. Younger more athletic
boarders do not ! They don't have it to blow.

The ski mfgrs got the msg several years ago. Mfg retail inventory
orders continue to decline each year while board orders soar. Ask your
favorite local retailer.......last yr vs 2004-5. They better get their
choice 2005-6 orders in soon.

Off to the West Side runs at Hunter Mtn NY for weekend of teaching
several "70+ skier neighbors" to board. Get 'em padddded where it
hurts, check bindings, push 'em off......smile and pick em up !

Friends...buddies...always ! LH 3/24/05

Old March 28th 05, 01:45 AM
snoig

"Bob" wrote in message

"Robert Stevahn" wrote in message
On 15 Mar 2005 09:45:52 -0800, "Eric" wrote:

If you don't mind me asking, why is that?

Skis go faster than boards. Four edges give you more wiggle room for
error correction than two. Don't get me wrong. My groups of friends
gets down the mountain on boards faster than the majority of skiers,
but an expert skier should be able to beat you every time.

I used to crew for a league race operation. The boarders best times were
always way higher than the better skiers.

Bob

Back in the begining of boarder/skier cross, they actually ran a few races
with mixed skiers/boarders. That didn't last for long because the skiers
always beat the boarders and they had to change to a team format where first
the skiers go then the boarders. I think they call it ultra-cross these
days. The main reason for these types of races, was because skiers are
always faster out of the gate. Poles and skating always make for a faster
start.

When you compare speed records for skiers and boarders, the skiers are
always faster. That's just the way it is. If your experience shows
otherwise, I think you just had better boarders than skiers for your league
races.

snoig

Old March 28th 05, 02:03 AM
snoig

"Bryan" wrote in message
. com...
How many of you ride with a friend who skis?

Occasionally I see a boarder and skiier together and with my son ready to
switch to boarding (mostly at my suggestion) I wonder if he really needs

to;
I was thinking that he'd get bored on skis if he went with a boarding

friend
who spent most of their time at the terrain parks instead of on the
trails/runs.

Well, I ski (but have boarded plenty) but most of my friends board. All I
can say is it is helpful if the skier has done some boarding so they know
how the terrian looks to a boarder. The main issue as a skier is to make
sure you stop at the end of long traverses, not the begining. And always
stop in places where you know it's easy for your boarder friends to get
started again. Other than those issues, it's really no big deal.

As far as skis in the park, why does he need to switch to a board to have
fun in the park? Around here, there are plenty of skiers in the park and it
seems to me there are more all the time but I don't usually frequent the
park.

snoig

Old March 29th 05, 04:10 AM
Bryan

"snoig" wrote in message

"Bryan" wrote in message
. com...
How many of you ride with a friend who skis?

Occasionally I see a boarder and skiier together and with my son ready to
switch to boarding (mostly at my suggestion) I wonder if he really needs

to;
I was thinking that he'd get bored on skis if he went with a boarding

friend
who spent most of their time at the terrain parks instead of on the
trails/runs.

As far as skis in the park, why does he need to switch to a board to have
fun in the park? Around here, there are plenty of skiers in the park and
it
seems to me there are more all the time but I don't usually frequent the
park.

snoig

Great question. With the suggestion about the twin tips, I think I can back
off from me being the reason he switches to boarding.

Old March 30th 05, 04:25 AM
Bob

"snoig" wrote in message

"Bob" wrote in message

[...]

As I said, my experience does not show otherwise.

The response to my statement reminds me of a friend that flunked the Mass.
drivers license test many years ago. The critical question. True or false.
Fatigue reduces reaction time. Massachusetts insisted that it does. He (an
MIT student) said it doesn't. He was right, they were wrong, but they would
only accept the "official" answer.

Bob

Old March 31st 05, 09:03 PM
snoig

[...]