Can Snowboarders and skiiers be friends?

Old March 15th 05, 05:00 PM
Jay

"Bryan" wrote in message
. com...

"Lisa Horton" wrote in message

Bryan wrote:

How many of you ride with a friend who skis?

Occasionally I see a boarder and skiier together and with my son ready
switch to boarding (mostly at my suggestion) I wonder if he really needs
to;
I was thinking that he'd get bored on skis if he went with a boarding
friend
who spent most of their time at the terrain parks instead of on the
trails/runs.

Now and then I ride with a friend who boards (I'm a skier). Then again,
she doesn't make a habit of sitting down in the middle of runs

I tend to like boarders, they often have what I consider a good, and not
snotty, attitude.

Lisa

Interesting. I had a girlfriend when I was young who didn't care that her
dormmate was a smoker on the idea that smokers wouldn't be bothered by her
sloppy living. I guess smokers aren't snotty. And why do boarders sit
down in the middle of runs?

Because we can :-)

And why do skiers stand around in groups at the lift exit? I guess because
they can :-)

Back to the question though. I occasionally go boarding with skiers and in
my distant past I've been skiing with boarders. It generally works out. It's
true skiers generally don't want to go near the park but I once tempted a
novice skier friend of mine into the halfpipe and she actually did amazingly
well and it really boosted her confidence.

Jay.

Old March 15th 05, 05:21 PM
lonerider

Dean wrote:
Bryan wrote:
And why do boarders sit down in the middle of runs?

There are two questions: Why do they sit? Why do they sit in the

middle
of runs?

After great consideration I've concluded that the answer is: Because
they can and standing still on a board is very difficult. Sitting

with
skis probably isn't realistic which is why some skiers stand in the
middle of runs.

If you want to know why they sit in the middle of runs to socialize
rather than sitting on a side, that's probably because they are young
and aren't thinking. The common element is "young" and

"inexperienced". Vans pull into the
resorts, kids get out, and the vans leave. The ski patrol is not a
substitute for parental supervision and training.

Dean

I agree with Dean here on the main points. First it is extremely
difficult to stand still on a slope. Second snowboard in general is
more physically demanding becuase the rider must use constant energy
just to maintain their balance (like when standing still on a slope)
where as a skiier can easily keep their body upright will minimal
effort.

As I mentioned in my other posts, most of the things people attribute
to snowboarders really should be attributed to young/inexperienced
riders who don't know better. They are simply unconscious of the world
and other people around them until someone tells them "hey we should
sit to the side of the trail away from the drops so someone doesn't
crash into us."

I should mention that this is only a "generalization" about youth AND
that plenty of adults fail to obey proper mountain etiquette as well.
Actually "park-inexperienced" adults tend to ignore proper park/pipe
etiquette more than younger skiiers/riders (there are 3 basic rules)
but that's another story.

Old March 15th 05, 05:22 PM
Robert Stevahn

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 05:10:30 GMT, "Bryan"
wrote:

I was
thinking that he would probably have more fun riding than skiing. That
however is based on the assumption (out of total ingnorance) that
snowboarders spend most of their day at the terrain parks and pipes.

There are all kinds of boarders and all kinds of skiiers. I ride with
both, but obviously gravitate toward those who enjoy the same sort of
things I do. It's no problem boarding with skiiers, although expert
skiiers will get down the mountain faster than expert boarders.

If he's happy with skis, get him a pair of twin tips and he'll find
plenty of company in the park.

-- Robert
Old March 15th 05, 05:43 PM
Lisa Horton

Bryan wrote:

[...]

I'll admit venturing into terrain park areas at times. The easy terrain
areas have little jumps that I can handle safely. The half pipes are
VERY tempting, and when I get good enough, I think I'll get some twin
tips and see how it goes. You boarders are having just TOO MUCH fun in
there, I want some of that

Lisa
Old March 15th 05, 05:45 PM
Lisa Horton

Bryan wrote:

How many of you ride with a friend who skis?

Occasionally I see a boarder and skiier together and with my son ready to
switch to boarding (mostly at my suggestion) I wonder if he really needs
to;
I was thinking that he'd get bored on skis if he went with a boarding
friend
who spent most of their time at the terrain parks instead of on the
trails/runs.

Now and then I ride with a friend who boards (I'm a skier). Then again,
she doesn't make a habit of sitting down in the middle of runs

I tend to like boarders, they often have what I consider a good, and not
snotty, attitude.

Lisa

Interesting. I had a girlfriend when I was young who didn't care that her
dormmate was a smoker on the idea that smokers wouldn't be bothered by her
sloppy living. I guess smokers aren't snotty. And why do boarders sit down
in the middle of runs?

Looks like your question was answered by others, and I agree it seems
like it's usually the younger boarders sitting in the middle of the
run. I didn't want to speculate, because there's no way I'm going to
come into your group and talk crap about boarders

Lisa
Old March 15th 05, 05:45 PM
Eric

although expert skiiers will get down the mountain faster
than expert boarders

If you don't mind me asking, why is that?

Thanks
Eric

Old March 15th 05, 05:52 PM
Robert Stevahn

On 15 Mar 2005 09:45:52 -0800, "Eric" wrote:

If you don't mind me asking, why is that?

Skis go faster than boards. Four edges give you more wiggle room for
error correction than two. Don't get me wrong. My groups of friends
gets down the mountain on boards faster than the majority of skiers,
but an expert skier should be able to beat you every time.

-- Robert
Old March 15th 05, 07:00 PM
Bob

"Robert Stevahn" wrote in message
On 15 Mar 2005 09:45:52 -0800, "Eric" wrote:

If you don't mind me asking, why is that?

Skis go faster than boards. Four edges give you more wiggle room for
error correction than two. Don't get me wrong. My groups of friends
gets down the mountain on boards faster than the majority of skiers,
but an expert skier should be able to beat you every time.

I used to crew for a league race operation. The boarders best times were
always way higher than the better skiers.

Bob

Old March 15th 05, 07:11 PM
Robert Stevahn

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 11:00:37 -0800, "Bob"
wrote:

I used to crew for a league race operation. The boarders best times were
always way higher than the better skiers.

I wonder why the sanctioning bodies give handicaps to boarders and
telemarkers, then?

In our one league race this year (before they cancelled due to lack of
snow), the two boarders were several seconds slower than the fastest
skiers on the GS course.

-- Robert
Old March 15th 05, 07:25 PM
lonerider

wrote:

I used to crew for a league race operation. The boarders best times

were
always way higher than the better skiers.

I wonder why the sanctioning bodies give handicaps to boarders and
telemarkers, then?

In our one league race this year (before they cancelled due to lack

of
snow), the two boarders were several seconds slower than the fastest
skiers on the GS course.

-- Robert

I think he is providing evidence supporting you claim... notice he says
best times were way "higher," which if you think about it... means
"slower" I had to re-read the post a bunch of times before getting that
myself. So yea, I personally have found that a skiier at a particular
level of ability will be faster down the slope than a comparable
snowboarder - that is just a general rule.