Eastern Townships vs. Quebec City ???

Old August 28th 03, 08:15 PM
Walt

Default Eastern Townships vs. Quebec City ???

It's the end of summer and time to start planning the first ski trip of
the season.
The last two years I've gone to Tremblant in early December for a long
weekend. This year I'm mulling over doing something different, i.e. the
Eastern Townships' resorts - Bromont, Sutton, Owl's Head , Orford

Or maybe the resorts around Quebec City - Massif, Sainte-Anne, Stoneham.

Pointers, advice, reviews (good or bad), comments are all greatly
appreciated.

My tastes is skiing are pretty simple: a couple of decent blue
cruisers, short lift lines, and reasonably uncrowded slopes are all I'm
really looking for. Sunshine and fresh corduroy are bonuses, but I know
you can't order that in advance. Since I'm not rich and I ski a lot,
price is definitely a factor. Every dollar I save is a dollar I can use
to ski another day.

--
//-Walt
//
Old August 29th 03, 10:19 PM
Dave Stallard

mark marpet wrote:

I highly recommend the Eastern Townships. Owls Head is where I spend most
of my time, but I've also been at Bromont and Orford. I liked Owl's Head so
much that I bought a town house there. That's putting your money where your
mouth is.
I've been to Mount St. Anne and didn't much like it: far too much ersatz
Austrian-Village flavor. As for Massif, I have heard from many, many folks
that it's GREAT, as long as you catch the snow right. It's best, I hear,
later in the season.

Is Le Massif the one you can see the ocean from?

Dave

Old August 29th 03, 11:52 PM
TCS

Is Le Massif the one you can see the ocean from?

Wouldn't that actually be the St. Lawrence River? Quite wide at that point and
in the distance.

TCS (The Colorado Skier)
Colorado Skiing is temporarily closed
Old August 30th 03, 04:50 AM
|Panzer|

Exactly, It's the St. Lawrance River, but at that point, it's wide
enough that you wont see the other side. Feels like the ocean.

Panzer

Old September 1st 03, 04:54 PM
|Panzer|

Walt,
Le Massif is more an Expert mountain (Ste-Anne is more cruiser
friendly but harder than Tremblant) versus Tremblant. I have a lot of
fun skiing at that resort, a lot a great runs, the most difficult ones
are either groomed or with mogul. It's worth it. I would definitely
recommend you a trip to Quebec City, try the Ste-Anne / Le Massif
package (2 days at each mountain). They call it the "Carte Blanche" :
http://www.fun2ski.com/presentation.html

David

"Walt" wrote in message

|Panzer| wrote:
"TCS" wrote ..

Is Le Massif the one you can see the ocean from?

Wouldn't that actually be the St. Lawrence River? Quite wide at

that
point and in the distance.

Exactly, It's the St. Lawrance River, but at that point,
it's wide enough that you wont see the other side. Feels
like the ocean.

You should definitely be able to see the other side if the
air's clear. (which is probably unlikely in early
December..) The river's only about 15 miles across at that
point.

Anyway, while I like good scenery, I can get that at home
(i.e. The Homestead on the shore of Lake Michigan is one of
the picturesque places to ski anywhere - too bad the
skiing's so mediocre)

So, how is Massif to *ski*? I've gotten the impression that
it's more of an expert's hill than, say, Tremblant. I've
got the same idea about Sainte Anne. Is this right?

How about the Eastern Townships? More cruiser-friendly
terrain?

-Walt

Old September 5th 03, 11:51 AM
Joshua L. Segal

After careful reading of the question and the replies, the answer is
simple.
2004 St. Anne
2005 Owl's Head
2006 Le Massif
2007 Sutton
2008....
2009....

Skifully, Joshua Segal
Old September 5th 03, 04:14 PM
Walt

"Joshua L. Segal" wrote:

After careful reading of the question and the replies, the answer is
simple.
2004 St. Anne
2005 Owl's Head
2006 Le Massif
2007 Sutton
2008....
2009....

But I'm planning to go in December 2003. Does this mean I have to go
back to Tremblant this year?

--
//-Walt
//
Old September 8th 03, 02:06 PM
Dave Stallard

|Panzer| wrote:

Exactly, It's the St. Lawrance River, but at that point, it's wide
enough that you wont see the other side. Feels like the ocean.

Yeah, I just flew down it yesterday on a plane coming back from Europe,
and I thought we were still over the ocean from looking out the
window. But checking the position map on the video monitor (I love
those things!) I could see that we were actually over the St. Lawrence.

Dave
Old September 8th 03, 02:43 PM
Walt

Dave Stallard wrote:

|Panzer| wrote:

Exactly, It's the St. Lawrance River, but at that point, it's wide
enough that you wont see the other side. Feels like the ocean.

Yeah, I just flew down it yesterday on a plane coming back from Europe,
and I thought we were still over the ocean from looking out the
window. But checking the position map on the video monitor (I love
those things!) I could see that we were actually over the St. Lawrence.

Unless your pilot was really lost, you were probably flying up the river
rather than down it on your way back from Europe. The St. Lawrence is
quite wide at the mouth near the Gaspe penensula, but by the time you
get near the Estern Townships it's only about 20 miles wide. Yes this
is very wide for a river. No, it doesn't look like the ocean.

--
//-Walt
//