aukland running

Old August 22nd 07, 04:26 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
32 degrees

Default aukland running

Anyone else see the fasterskier.com article on Anders Aukland placing 2nd in
the Norwegian Nationals track finals 5000m race? He went about 14:30 or
so - pretty fast for a skier. Justin Wadsworth just commented on the
Caldwell website devoted to Kris Freeman that he went 14:50 or so.... I'm
wondering how many skiers really do some serious running speedwork and how
fast they've gotten? The muscle groups for running and diagonal stride
skiing are nearly identical so they must correspond well?? Have any
"runners" with Olympic credentials cross over to skiing Olympic/World
level?? OR, vice versa??

Which skier is the "best" runner?

JKal.

Old August 22nd 07, 05:01 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jake

Just FYI, that was Justin Freeman, Kris's big brother that made that
comment.

Old August 22nd 07, 10:24 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
PBo

Trond and Knut Nystad were (are) pretty speedy at UVM.
Ben Husaby i think won MN state track 2-mile, and he's a big boy.

Good classic skiers all.

-phil

Old August 23rd 07, 01:07 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
32 degrees

Default more running

Dan Ray - mentioned in Pete Vordenbergs book, also was a Minnesota state
champ in the 2 mile run I believe. Went on to be one of NMU's best skiers
in '88-'89 for Sten... along with John Goble, Michigan 800 meter state
champ in 1:54 ...

i'm picturing husaby in the 2 mile against some skinny guys, hahahaha, would
like to have seen it.
JKal.

ups.com...

Old August 23rd 07, 11:54 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
joeconn4[_2_]

On Aug 22, 12:26 pm, "32 degrees"
wrote:

...Which skier is the "best" runner?

Ben True can run a little bit ;-)

Old August 24th 07, 08:13 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Terje Henriksen

"32 degrees" skrev i melding
Anyone else see the fasterskier.com article on Anders Aukland placing 2nd in
the Norwegian Nationals track finals 5000m race? He went about 14:30 or so -
pretty fast for a skier. Justin Wadsworth just commented on the Caldwell
website devoted to Kris Freeman that he went 14:50 or so.... I'm wondering
how many skiers really do some serious running speedwork and how fast they've
gotten? The muscle groups for running and diagonal stride skiing are nearly
identical so they must correspond well?? Have any "runners" with Olympic
credentials cross over to skiing Olympic/World level?? OR, vice versa??

Which skier is the "best" runner?

Ingrid Kristiansen.

--
Terje Henriksen
Kirkenes

Old August 24th 07, 10:00 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Terje Mathisen

Terje Henriksen wrote:
"32 degrees" skrev i melding
Anyone else see the fasterskier.com article on Anders Aukland placing 2nd in
the Norwegian Nationals track finals 5000m race? He went about 14:30 or so -
pretty fast for a skier. Justin Wadsworth just commented on the Caldwell
website devoted to Kris Freeman that he went 14:50 or so.... I'm wondering
how many skiers really do some serious running speedwork and how fast they've
gotten? The muscle groups for running and diagonal stride skiing are nearly
identical so they must correspond well?? Have any "runners" with Olympic
credentials cross over to skiing Olympic/World level?? OR, vice versa??

Which skier is the "best" runner?

Ingrid Kristiansen.

Winner of "Egebergs Ærespris", the most highly-ranked of all sports
prices here in Norway:

The Egeberg can only be given to true multi-seasonal athletes, with the
original requirements something like world championship level in one
season/sport and national championship level in the opposite season.

I.e. Ingrid Kristiansen won multiple track & field championships, and
her 10K record stood for a _very_ long time (until that one strange year
when a bunch of chinese women come from "nowhere", blew away all the
longs-distance records, and then disappeared. Their trainer said this
was achieved with a diet which included tortoise blood or some such).

In winter I believe she won at least one national xc championship relay.

Yes: She was an individual European champion as a junior, then went on
to grab 8 (!) senior relay championships. :-)

(BTW, the statutes for the Egeberg have been changed, so now the two
sports can be in the same season, i.e. Ole Einar Bjørndalen and Lars
Berger have both gotten the price for combining xc and biathlon.)

Terje

--
-
Old August 24th 07, 01:36 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
tassava

On Aug 24, 5:00 am, Terje Mathisen
wrote:
Terje Henriksen wrote:
"32 degrees" skrev i melding
Anyone else see the fasterskier.com article on Anders Aukland placing 2nd in
the Norwegian Nationals track finals 5000m race? ... Have any "runners" with Olympic
[...]

In case anybody wants to see other winners of this prize, here's a
list:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egebergs_%C3%86respris

Elite XC skiers are well-represented; here are a few from the last 20
years:
1987 Oddvar Brå - cross-country skiing and track and field
2001 Anders Aukland - cross-country skiing, triathlon, sled dog racing
and track and field
2002 Ole Einar Bjørndalen - biathlon and cross-country skiing
2002 Hilde Gjermundshaug Pedersen - ski orienteering and cross-country
skiing
2006 Lars Berger - biathlon and cross-country skiing

Old August 25th 07, 03:45 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Hugh P

Philip Boit of Kenya? Raced at Nagano, Salt Lake and Turin, and was
still going at Sapporo this year.
I met him at Vuokatti in Finland, where he appeared to be based, a few
years ago. A charming, gentle man. He told a story from when he first
started skiing: 'I used to fall a lot and put my fingers in the snow,
and I think my gloves must not have been very good, because all my
fingernails fell off'. More determination than most of us are required
to draw on.
For some reason we talked about the 3000m steeplechase, and I remember
that he remarked that the best steeplechasers could run their 3,000m
over the jumps nearly as fast as he could without the obstacles: so he
could run somewhat faster than 7'53".
I don't know whether it is really fair to count him as a 'skier' in
this context, since he was peculiarly inept on snow, and still had the
'Bambi on ice' look after several years of skiing.
Hugh

Schattie is still running away. Suzieflame Alpine Skiing 58 July 24th 07 06:19 PM
Running with Ski Poles EdV Nordic Skiing 13 June 16th 07 07:59 AM
Running a Ski Chalet Stokesy European Ski Resorts 15 December 15th 05 05:44 PM
running 32 degrees Nordic Skiing 7 March 7th 04 01:16 AM
Running or Cycling Bob Creasote Nordic Skiing 8 August 20th 03 03:54 AM