possible to drown in snow?

Old March 7th 06, 08:02 PM

Default possible to drown in snow?

I was hiking through 3+ ft of fresh powder in my boots to fetch a pair
of gloves I had lost uphill. I wondered, if there was 7 ft of fresh
snow, would it be possible to sink below the surface while hiking in
boots and drown? Or is there a limit to how deep you can sink in fresh
snow because eventually, your boots will compress enough snow (before
you're in over your head) to support your weight?

Old March 7th 06, 08:04 PM

I was hiking through 3+ ft of fresh powder in my boots to fetch a pair
of gloves I had lost uphill. I wondered, if there was 7 ft of fresh
snow, would it be possible to sink below the surface while hiking in
boots and drown? Or is there a limit to how deep you can sink in fresh
snow because eventually, your boots will compress enough snow (before
you're in over your head) to support your weight?

If the snow is light enough, you can sink a LONG way. And it would be
pretty hard to get out. So yeah, you could drown in it.

Old March 7th 06, 08:16 PM

Mike T wrote:

I was hiking through 3+ ft of fresh powder in my boots to fetch a pair
of gloves I had lost uphill. I wondered, if there was 7 ft of fresh
snow, would it be possible to sink below the surface while hiking in
boots and drown? Or is there a limit to how deep you can sink in fresh
snow because eventually, your boots will compress enough snow (before
you're in over your head) to support your weight?

If the snow is light enough, you can sink a LONG way. And it would be
pretty hard to get out. So yeah, you could drown in it.

An example is the tree well phenomana. People fall into tree wells, can't
get out and die.

--
Before Heading to the Hills Head to The Wisconsin Skier:
http://www.wi-ski.com/
Old March 7th 06, 09:01 PM

Mike T wrote:

I was hiking through 3+ ft of fresh powder in my boots to fetch a pair
of gloves I had lost uphill. I wondered, if there was 7 ft of fresh
snow, would it be possible to sink below the surface while hiking in
boots and drown? Or is there a limit to how deep you can sink in fresh
snow because eventually, your boots will compress enough snow (before
you're in over your head) to support your weight?

If the snow is light enough, you can sink a LONG way. And it would be
pretty hard to get out. So yeah, you could drown in it.

Yes, it is not only possible to drown in snow, but it happens several
times a season. Imagine going in head first with large flat object(s)
attached to your feet making it difficult to turn yourself upright. I
read somewhere that asphixiation is the #1 cause of death for
snowboarders, mostly related to falling in a tree well. (Note: I'm too
lazy to look up a cite this PM and will gladly accept a factual
correction if one is offered)

Asphixiation is the usual cause of death for those who perish in an
avalanche, but that's not really what the OP is getting at. A tree well
crash is more like the scenario envisioned. Simply hiking and going in
feet first would be highly unusual, but I suppose theoretically
possible, especially if the hiker gets disoriented and can't figure out
which way is up.

//Walt

P.S. I'll spare Bob the tree well crash picture this time.
Old March 7th 06, 09:04 PM

"Bucky" wrote in message
oups.com...
I was hiking through 3+ ft of fresh powder in my boots to fetch a pair
of gloves I had lost uphill. I wondered, if there was 7 ft of fresh
snow, would it be possible to sink below the surface while hiking in
boots and drown? Or is there a limit to how deep you can sink in fresh
snow because eventually, your boots will compress enough snow (before
you're in over your head) to support your weight?

Tree wells can be nasty, where the branches prevent settling and packing of
the snow around the base of a tree. While cat skiing, we had a guy pop a ski
off, lose control and go head first at the base of a tree. As he struggled
he fell farther down (like quicksand). We had to dig him out and he snorted
alot of snow. People can and do die in them

Old March 7th 06, 10:49 PM

In article .com,
Bucky wrote:
I was hiking through 3+ ft of fresh powder in my boots to fetch a pair
of gloves I had lost uphill. I wondered, if there was 7 ft of fresh
snow, would it be possible to sink below the surface while hiking in
boots and drown? Or is there a limit to how deep you can sink in fresh
snow because eventually, your boots will compress enough snow (before
you're in over your head) to support your weight?

You don't drown in snow. You suffocate.
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Old March 7th 06, 11:48 PM

"Bucky" wrote in message
oups.com...
I was hiking through 3+ ft of fresh powder in my boots to fetch a pair
of gloves I had lost uphill. I wondered, if there was 7 ft of fresh
snow, would it be possible to sink below the surface while hiking in
boots and drown? Or is there a limit to how deep you can sink in fresh
snow because eventually, your boots will compress enough snow (before
you're in over your head) to support your weight?

One time I was skiing in about 2.5' of fresh, really light powder on Mount
Baker. I went into the trees on quite a steep hill, and I flipped. Fell head
first , with my skis on. Being on the hill the snow acted much deeper, and
it was a real struggle to work myself out. I was breathing like nuts and
thought I was going to suffocate. I thought I was a goner. :-)

Old March 8th 06, 04:30 PM

JvD wrote:
"Bucky" wrote in message
oups.com...

I was hiking through 3+ ft of fresh powder in my boots to fetch a pair
of gloves I had lost uphill. I wondered, if there was 7 ft of fresh
snow, would it be possible to sink below the surface while hiking in
boots and drown? Or is there a limit to how deep you can sink in fresh
snow because eventually, your boots will compress enough snow (before
you're in over your head) to support your weight?

One time I was skiing in about 2.5' of fresh, really light powder on Mount
Baker. I went into the trees on quite a steep hill, and I flipped. Fell head
first , with my skis on. Being on the hill the snow acted much deeper, and
it was a real struggle to work myself out. I was breathing like nuts and
thought I was going to suffocate. I thought I was a goner. :-)

I think a rebreather will be on my shopping list for next season.
Old March 8th 06, 10:11 PM

In message , Christine
writes
On Tue, 7 Mar 2006 13:04:20 -0800, "Mike T"
wrote:
So yeah, you could drown in it.

Technically speaking, you'd suffocate, not drown. Happened years ago

There's no difference unless you survive only to succumb to the
aftereffects of having water enter your lungs.

I've read several reports of deaths in deep soft snow, but none of
secondary drowning in a survivor of this type of accident.

--
Sue ];(

Spam was invented by two Yank lawyers;
when they die and go to hell they'll be made to read it all.
Old March 9th 06, 12:29 AM

In article ,
Sue wrote:
In message , Christine
writes
Technically speaking, you'd suffocate, not drown. Happened years ago

There's no difference unless you survive only to succumb to the
aftereffects of having water enter your lungs.

drown |droun| verb [ intrans. ] die through submersion in and inhalation of
water : she drowned in the pond | | ( be drowned) two fishermen were drowned
when their motorboat capsized. b" [ trans. ] deliberately kill (a person
or animal) in this way : he killed his wife then drowned himself in a fit
of despair.

suffocate verb die or cause to die from lack of air or inability to breathe
: [ intrans. ] ten detainees suffocated in an airless police cell.
| [ trans. ] she was suffocated by the fumes.
-have or cause to have difficulty in breathing : [ intrans. ] he was
suffocating, his head jammed up against the back of the sofa | [ trans. ]
you're suffocating me- I can scarcely breathe | [as adj. ] ( suffocating)
the suffocating heat.
- figurative feel or cause to feel trapped and oppressed : [as adj. ]
( suffocated) I felt suffocated by my marriage.

Sloppy sloppy! Care to retract?
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."