new to snowboarding

Old January 1st 06, 07:03 PM

Default new to snowboarding

I live in the Boston areas, but my sister lives out by the
Tetons/Jackson hole. I went snowboarding for the first time at Targee
when I visited her and we had a look at Teton Pass which looked really
good. We did a little skiing on an easy spot there, but I have never
skied much. I am an ocean longboard surfer here in new england and
snowboarding seems similiar, so I made some fast progress on the
board, but I never surf goofy foot and in snowboarding it seems you
need to be able to do that as you easily get turned around (something
for me to work on). My biggest problem seemed to be goofy foot riding
when I got turned around.

I would like to be able to do some back country boarding, but
obviously need to learn on resort slopes here in new england, and when
you are short on time, you'd probably head to a resort anyway. I am
wondering what kind of board to get ? Probably a little big and stiff
from what I read. Where are some good places to get deals on boards ?

How dangerous is snowboarding, and how hard is it on knees/back body ?
Any more or less than skiing ? Seems I talked to a couple of
snowboarders who had suffered all kinds of broken bones. I am a
musician and am 43 so I would like to avoid that. Is Tuckermans a nasty
and dangerous scene where you are likely to get hurt ? That was my
impression from what one guy told me.

Any good books on new england boarding, equipment/technique etc ?

Old January 1st 06, 10:18 PM

Note all my comments below are my own opinions based on my own
experience. I am not and instructor and don't work in a shop or anything.

surf wrote:

I am an ocean longboard surfer here in new england and
snowboarding seems similiar, so I made some fast progress on the
board, but I never surf goofy foot and in snowboarding it seems you
need to be able to do that as you easily get turned around (something
for me to work on). My biggest problem seemed to be goofy foot riding
when I got turned around.

It's a common problem with beginners where the board spins around and
goes backwards. It just that you don't have full control of the board so
it seems to go wherever it wants to. You'll be able to stop this very
soon though.

Learning goofy is a big advantage in many ways. It's useful for when you
start learning tricks that involve going backwards, useful for long
traverses where you have to stay on one edge, and also makes you a more
well rounded snowboarder. It's also adds a bit of fun to otherwise
boring runs, as it will make them more difficult. Saying that, it isn't
necessary to learn as a beginner and many people never bother at all, at
least the ones who never do any freestyle.

I would like to be able to do some back country boarding, but
obviously need to learn on resort slopes here in new england, and when
you are short on time, you'd probably head to a resort anyway. I am
wondering what kind of board to get ? Probably a little big and stiff
from what I read.

Lot's of people recommend getting a smaller, softer board to learn on
but I went straight out and bought a stiffer board when I had never even
tried snowboarding before. My logic behind this was that I am an
ex-skateboarder and I was certain I'g enjoy it, and pretty sure I would
pick it up quickly. I had that board for 3 years and in retrospect, I
think I made the right decision. I didn't notice it being difficult to
learn and I enjoyed the board right up until its death when I wacked a
rock and ruined edge.

How dangerous is snowboarding, and how hard is it on knees/back body ?
Any more or less than skiing ? Seems I talked to a couple of
snowboarders who had suffered all kinds of broken bones. I am a
musician and am 43 so I would like to avoid that. Is Tuckermans a nasty
and dangerous scene where you are likely to get hurt ? That was my
impression from what one guy told me.

I've had an ACL replacement operation on my knee 8 years ago (the end of
my skateboarding days). I'd never play football or rugby now, but I
never have any problems with it while snowboarding.

Beginner snowboarders seem to be more prone to minor injuries than
beginner skiers. Usually this involves nothing more than a few bumps and
bruises but on occasion people do break their wrists (wrist guards can
help here). I think that has you get more advanced, skiing injuries tend
to be more severe because it's a lot harder on the knees and people tend
to get wrapped up in their own skis and poles. As well as this, they
travel faster so collisios are more serious.

Saying this though, the attitude of most snowboarders seems to be
different than most skiers. By this, I mean that the vast majority of
people who ski are happy with just staying on the piste and improvng
their technique. Snowboarders seem put themselves at more risk by trying
to learn jumps/rails once they have got the basics. It's really up to
you how much risk you take. You will learn a lot quicker if you don't
mind falling, just don't take it too far.

Old January 1st 06, 10:23 PM

OK, you didn't mention your size and athletic level.
Snowboarding saves your knees better than skiing, but can stress out
wrist, elbows, and shoulders, if you read the thread on wrist
protection.
I'm 56, have been snowboarding since '93, never got hurt, drop some
50' rockfaces, ridden most, not all the steeps in the Tahoe area.
But then, it's about the same with skiing, so your choice there.
Some guys push their limits, and broken bones and tears and strains
can happen, like they would in recreational nighttime slow pitch
softball.
If you have a tendency to NOT know your limits, probably you will get
hurt.
I know lots of guys who logged well over 500 days snowboarding, ride
pretty well of course, and have never been hurt while snowboarding.
One guy I know skied over 1,200 days, and the only injury he suffered
was getting caught in the clubhouse at Alpine when the avalance
hit...was that like in early '70's???
Can't reco size until YOU tell us your size.
You're asking us to tell you want size PANTS to wear!

Old January 2nd 06, 01:57 AM

I'm 5'9", around 180 pounds. I was told snowboard should come up to
chin or nose.

Do snowboard prices vary alot in different places ? I saw alot of
boards for like $200-$300 out in Jackson Hole area, but I'm not
informed enough to know what boards are best quality. I went on the REI
webiste and alot of the boards where alot more.

I own alot of surfboards, and it took me a long time to figure out what
I really wanted and what was best for me. I'd like to try to get by
with 1 snowboard, if that is realistic or not I don't know.

Is there a difficulty rating system for slopes ? Where does tuckerman's
ravine fall into ?

Old January 2nd 06, 02:00 AM

I never had a real need to surf goofy foot on waves, but when I tried
snowboarding I went on the edge going right and then just kept turning
until I was facing uphill and then naturally seemed to end up going the
other way goofy foot. That somehow just seemed like the natural thing
that just happened.

Old January 2nd 06, 02:47 AM

You got me on Tuck's ravine.
So in your case, you need a board for a 180lb'er. Now feetsize is
next. It's generally reco'd that if you have size 10 or smaller boots,
you can ride just fine with boards from 158 to 162. For pow and
backcountry, better up the ante at least 8cms.
Bigger feets, go wider on board waist width.
Soft flex is best for backcountry pow hunting, as it hunts and pecks
it's own nose attitude, and you concentrate on your own lines.
I'm a little taller but 35 lbs lighter than you, and my all around
goof boards are 153, and 156 sizing. For Pow and backcountry hike in
boarding, I'm on either a 164 or 169 depending on depth and fluff of
the snow.
Every company, low end board starting around '$280 retail to high end
models close to $500. That's for new issue current year. Previous
year stuff, you save 30-45%.
Backcountry, for sure strap in bindings.
Oh, Tucks....you mean those pics of a flat trail at the top dropping
into a narrow chute?
I can't tell the rest of the chute, but Chute 75 at Squaw and
ScottsChute at Alpine look similar, and are rated black diamond, so
most 70 day snowboarders can make it down in good snow conditions
without too many problems.

Old January 2nd 06, 02:02 PM

Sounds like you'd need 2 boards ideally. One for powder, one for
packed resort snow ? Not realistic to think of a board that would be
suitable for both ?

My sis says it's hard to get hurt falling in powder as it's very soft.

Where can you get last years models ? Do you have to wait for late
spring sales ?

Old January 2nd 06, 03:49 PM

surf wrote:
I never had a real need to surf goofy foot on waves, but when I tried
snowboarding I went on the edge going right and then just kept turning
until I was facing uphill and then naturally seemed to end up going the
other way goofy foot. That somehow just seemed like the natural thing
that just happened.

Yup, common beginner problem.
Old January 2nd 06, 03:56 PM

surf wrote:

My sis says it's hard to get hurt falling in powder as it's very soft.

Depends where you are. Some places have a lot of "sharks". These are
sharp rocks that lay just below the surface that you can't see. A couple
of weeks ago I hit one going quite fast and gouched a big grove down the
centre of the board. I went flying through the air about and wacked my
head on another sharp rock under the surface. Luckily I wear a helmet. I
would have been in serious trouble without it. As it was I only cracked
my goggles and scraped my nose. Be careful in powder if you don't know
the resort.
Old January 2nd 06, 03:58 PM

surf wrote:
Sounds like you'd need 2 boards ideally. One for powder, one for
packed resort snow ? Not realistic to think of a board that would be
suitable for both ?

Ideally yes, but by no means necessary. There are many 'all-mountain'
boards that are fine for both (e.g. Donek Pheonix), especially for a
beginner.