camber defined

Old January 18th 06, 07:15 PM

Default camber defined

I read about 'camber and a half' and 'double camber'. Is this a
mathematical definition? Would I be able to identify the amount of camber
by measuring ratio of unloaded ski belly-height to length of ski or
something?

Old January 20th 06, 11:41 PM

Camber and a half generally refers to skis that are a compromise
between the single camber alpine or Telemark skis and double camber
classic skis. Skis designed to turn work better when the camber is
flattened under equally weighted loading and negatively cambered when
one ski if fully weighted. In contrast, classic double camber skis
have enough residual camber when skis are equally weighted so that
pressure on the grip wax zone is minimual when gliding.

The "camber and a half" ski is a softer double camber ski that will
de-camber better than a double camber ski when fully weighted, yet does
not drag its wax as much as a single camber ski.

Edgar

Old January 23rd 06, 05:48 PM

Old January 25th 06, 11:23 AM

"Booker C. Bense"
bbense+rec.skiing.backcountry.Jan.23.06@telemark. slac.stanford.edu wrote
in message ...

Touring skis need different camber, shape... [email protected] Nordic Skiing 0 January 28th 05 11:00 PM
More camber in shorter classic skis compared to longer? [email protected] Nordic Skiing 1 January 28th 05 04:25 PM
Fischer 812 Camber Tony Nordic Skiing 7 January 7th 05 09:32 PM
Restoring Camber on Old Wood Skis Bob Maswick Nordic Skiing 4 January 13th 04 02:56 PM
Camber in skate skis Mike Nordic Skiing 5 November 7th 03 02:32 PM