Tuning question

Old December 27th 14, 08:13 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
downhill

Default Tuning question

The last thing I do before I put my skis away is coat them with base
prep. I make sure to cover all the edges, it is done when the skis are
dried.
Every year there is rust in the front or top of the ski where the edges
do not make contact while running flat referred to as the shovel section
.. Normally you detune this area to prevent hooking.
It is surface rust but the skis were stored indoors and no other part of
edges has rust on it.
Any explanation?
Old December 27th 14, 09:47 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

On 12/27/14 12:13 PM, downhill wrote:
The last thing I do before I put my skis away is coat them with base
prep. I make sure to cover all the edges, it is done when the skis are
dried.
Every year there is rust in the front or top of the ski where the edges
do not make contact while running flat referred to as the shovel section
. Normally you detune this area to prevent hooking.
It is surface rust but the skis were stored indoors and no other part of
edges has rust on it.
Any explanation?

Explanation:
Base prep isn't doing what you think it's doing - it's not coating the
surfaces with a air and moisture blocking inert substance.
Solution:
Melt copious (cheap) paraffin over the whole base and up the sides
before storing - coat it thick and don't worry about rust ever again.
Scrap before skiing, or just make a run and wear it off.

How's the snow treating you guys?
Old December 27th 14, 10:52 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Sat, 27 Dec 2014 15:13:14 -0500, downhill
wrote this crap:

The last thing I do before I put my skis away is coat them with base
prep. I make sure to cover all the edges, it is done when the skis are
dried.
Every year there is rust in the front or top of the ski where the edges
do not make contact while running flat referred to as the shovel section
. Normally you detune this area to prevent hooking.
It is surface rust but the skis were stored indoors and no other part of
edges has rust on it.
Any explanation?

Cheap skis. Good steel doesn't rust.

This signature is now the ultimate
power in the universe
Old December 28th 14, 03:18 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
downhill

lal_truckee wrote:
Explanation:
Base prep isn't doing what you think it's doing - it's not coating the
surfaces with a air and moisture blocking inert substance.
Solution:
Melt copious (cheap) paraffin over the whole base and up the sides
before storing - coat it thick and don't worry about rust ever again.
Scrap before skiing, or just make a run and wear it off.

How's the snow treating you guys?

I would by that explanation but it is only the tips of the ski, not the
rest of the edges. & only the part that does not contact the snow.
I do melt an excessive amount of base prep over the ski tip to tail,
the edges are covered. The base prep is a low temp wax based product.
I put so much on you could not ski it off, it is a good scrape job to
get it all off. Normally I wax with a thin layer, then scrape and brush.

It has been too warm here, nobody is raving about the conditions.
The 5 day calls for flurries Sunday afternoon and cold just below
freezing at Windham mon to thursday.
Tuxedo is hurting they have had a very hard time trying to make snow.
The places I train at have not had any session yet this year.
Okemo has run Nastar 3 times this year, last year at this point they had
run a dozen times.
I will report how Windham is. I will be at Sundown a week from tomorrow
for opening NASTAR if they open for it. That part of Ct is normally cold
so I expect them to have something.
Old December 28th 14, 03:28 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Saturday, December 27, 2014 1:13:21 PM UTC-7, downhill wrote:
The last thing I do before I put my skis away is coat them with base
prep. I make sure to cover all the edges, it is done when the skis are
dried.
Every year there is rust in the front or top of the ski where the edges
do not make contact while running flat referred to as the shovel section
. Normally you detune this area to prevent hooking.
It is surface rust but the skis were stored indoors and no other part of
edges has rust on it.
Any explanation?

I never did anything other than put them in the closet. Cleaner and wax in the fall, scrape it off and go. But then my skis never lasted more than 12-14 months or so. And no amount of "preservation" would have changed that.

ski tuning down_hill Alpine Skiing 26 January 15th 13 06:30 AM
Tuning question Ron - NY Alpine Skiing 17 February 22nd 07 02:32 PM
Tuning clinic? DMignon Snowboarding 1 October 26th 04 05:01 AM
Tuning Jiyang Chen Alpine Skiing 54 January 4th 04 09:56 PM
ski tuning video Seth Masia Alpine Skiing 7 October 3rd 03 05:14 PM