Wax Iron

Old December 7th 07, 04:37 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
delltodd

Default Wax Iron

The thought occurred to me - a broken iron would put me out of
business untill I could get a new one, which could take a couple days.
Maybe my iron would break the night a ski race. Or I might drop it at
a bad time, and maybe that kills it. Could be a bad thing!

Maybe I should get a second iron.

Do you guys have a backup iron ?

How long do irons last before they retire ?

They work pretty long hours.

DT
Old December 7th 07, 05:59 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

My waxing iron is a Toko Wax Mouse -- the one that does not have a
temperature control. I like it -- it's just hot enough to melt Start
Green. This is its 4th season.

My backup iron is an old no-holes laundry iron that I bought for $2 at
a yard sale. Like all laundry irons, temperature control is very
dicey, but it's only an emergency backup iron.

Kevin Miller
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Old December 7th 07, 07:24 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Dave M-K

Dell

I was having a similar thought the other night while waxing, and came up
with a new service for shops.

New Service-Iron Evaluation. Concerned about the status of your wax iron?
For only $29.99 we will grind the base of your iron (make sure it is flat)
and look at the heating elements and thermostat to ensure you are not
sealing your bases. For an extra $10 we will coat the iron's base with HF
wax to protect it in transport and save you 10 seconds the next time you
wax.

DMK

Old December 7th 07, 11:25 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On Dec 7, 10:37 am, delltodd wrote:
The thought occurred to me - a broken iron would put me out of
business untill I could get a new one, which could take a couple days.
Maybe my iron would break the night a ski race. Or I might drop it at
a bad time, and maybe that kills it. Could be a bad thing!

Maybe I should get a second iron.

Do you guys have a backup iron ?

How long do irons last before they retire ?

They work pretty long hours.

DT

Dell,

I did have a back up until I got a new one, classic impulse buy ( the
catalogs came). The 10 year old Toko works fine, I currently use it to
heat in base binder for classic wax. Nice new club suits by the way.
Others go to www.grnst.org and scroll down if you want to see what the
Grand Rapids (MI) team will be wearing this year.

I think this is the year that you chase down Darenzo and the
Frontrunner, although they are skiing at Rosies Run as we type.

John O'Connell
Saint Paul
Old December 7th 07, 11:47 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 14:24:57 -0500, "Dave M-K"
wrote:

Dell

I was having a similar thought the other night while waxing, and came up
with a new service for shops.

New Service-Iron Evaluation. Concerned about the status of your wax iron?
For only $29.99 we will grind the base of your iron (make sure it is flat)
and look at the heating elements and thermostat to ensure you are not
sealing your bases. For an extra $10 we will coat the iron's base with HF
wax to protect it in transport and save you 10 seconds the next time you
wax.

Great! Where do I sign up? Do they take American Express??!

JFT

Old December 10th 07, 07:43 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
delltodd

On Dec 7, 6:25 pm, wrote:
[...]

Hey O'C!

To think I am just a new Mayo-Kiely Turbo Iron away from skiing with
Kalamzoo Nordic's finest ! I better order that thing.

Thanks for the kind words on the suit. The plan for the last version
was to go simple and we succeeded, so this time I'd been dreaming of
some flash for a long time. That Team Canada suit is probably my
favorite, and we were able to get it done nearly the same. Better be
fast in a suit that cool!

DT
Old December 11th 07, 01:56 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Dave M-K

Dell

Remember the beauty of the service is that you don't have to purchase a new
iron, we grind, recalibrate, and prewax your existing iron! I know this
doesn't solve your back up iron issue but I'm sure someone else will gladly
take some of your money for that.

I do think in the next year or two we will be start our hand picked iron
program. Details on that are still a bit sketchy but what we will ask from
costumers is that they photocopy their hand, arm and describe their ironign
style. We will then determine which iron is best for you. How often do you
walk into a shop and are forced to buy the iron they have on the shelf, not
knowing that another iron could vastly improve your waxing experience. You
really don't know what you are missing until you hold an iron that is most
closely matched to you hand and ironing style. When going with a hand
selected iron we also offer the grind option. Often times irons sit in
boxes for a year or two and collect lots of dirt before they are used by a
consumer. Bases can also be damaged in transport.

Dave

Old December 14th 07, 12:39 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
32 degrees

Dave - hopefully the model color and design scheme of your IRONS will change
drastically from year to year so those people who are really into having
others know they have the "newest" and "best" equipment will be happy. Will
the iron colors MATCH your current ski model colors too? Hope so. Nobody
wants to be seen waxing with a "bumblebee" iron these days.

Looks like the REAL snow for US Nationals at MTU will be better than the
stuff you had to deal with last year !!

JKal.

Old December 14th 07, 01:30 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Dave M-K

Unfortunately since we do not MAKE the irons we cannot control the
MANUFACTURES graphics or color schemes but if you've ever sene "Pimp My
Ride", I have not but have heard about it, get ready for "Pimp My Iron".
We'll just leave it at that.

Conditions in the Keweenaw are fantastic right now. All four of the groomed
trail systems are in great shape with significant base. Nationals should be
a good week. It's too bad they fall right after new years, it would be a
great time for people to come up and watch and ski. IF you've got the time
it will be worth the trip.

Dave

Old December 14th 07, 06:21 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
32 Degrees B

SWEET - Can't wait to see the Pimp My Iron designs when they're out.
attachments? special gloves to wear with them? Speakers to plug your
iPod into it?

I made US Nationals last year - but not happening this year...
My highlight last year was skiing the warmup loop behind the start
area on sprint day.
I got to ski right behind Andy Newell for a couple k. He was going
nice and slow just warming up.
I hammered on past him just to show him who was boss!!! It nearly
killed me dead, but i did it !!
hahahaha
JKal

"delltodd" wrote in message
On Dec 7, 6:25 pm, wrote:
[...]

DT- Hide quoted text -

wax iron Bob Burns Nordic Skiing 1 November 2nd 06 05:10 PM
Using a household clothes iron to iron on ski wax..... nordvind Nordic Skiing 9 March 28th 06 08:22 PM
wax iron question Greg Nordic Skiing 7 February 11th 05 12:33 AM
Daron Rahlves, iron man! Mary Malmros Alpine Skiing (moderated) 0 January 27th 05 03:02 AM
where to get non steam iron? Scott T. Lindner Snowboarding 25 January 15th 04 03:39 AM