Just bought board - Is it big enough??

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 12th 06, 06:49 PM

James;
I've got 2 seasons under my belt and I went through all of the same
issues you are going through when I purchased my board. I'm almost the
same size as you are (6'2, 210lbs, 10 1/2 US shoe size). I researched
for weeks and agonized over what board to choose.I ended up with a 162
Burton Custom. Where you are in your progession right now, either board
will probably work fine for you. As a lot of people have pointed out,
160 is at the low end for your size so switching to the 163 might not
be a bad idea. I'm in agreement that "wide" boards are not a great
choice. A couple of friends have them and do not like them. The
overhang issue can be addressed by changing the angle of your stance if
you stay with the 160. I'm not familiar with adding risers to Flows, so
I won't comment on that option.
It's funny, I spent so much time focusing on the length of my board
when I was starting out and now I find that I hardly ever think about
it. The only time I notice it is when I'm trying to go faster and the
board starts to chatter a bit on some turns. A longer board would
probably be smoother for me at higher speed. The things I focus on now
are boot fit and stance angle. I've found that dialing in the fit of my
boots to have a much greater impact on my performance and comfort than
the board ever could. I've taken my boots to a professional boot fitter
to decrease my heel lift and it's made a world of difference. I highly
recommend this.
I switched to Flows this season, and I LOVE them. I know a lot of
people bag on them, but the comfort and convienence is awesome and I've
seen no decrease in response since switching. I've even learned to slip
into the rear foot wrap just prior to getting off of the lift. This
allows for much better control when exiting the lift, something that I
had real trouble with when just trying to use the stomp pad. One
additional plus of the Flows is that you can put your foot in the rear
wrap while riding the lift (if the chair isn't full), this helps
relieve the weight on the front foot from carrying the board on the
lift.
In the end, you will probably be happy with either choice and probably
upgrade in a couple of years either way. Focus on your technique, start
to carve instead of slide, and challenge yourself everytime you go out.
Everything else will take care of itself.
Cheers,
Mark