need advice on Toblach/Dobbiaco vs. Asiago vs. Eastern Pyrenees

Old January 16th 10, 01:17 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
KneeGuy

Default need advice on Toblach/Dobbiaco vs. Asiago vs. Eastern Pyrenees

Am about to commit to a holiday with an outfit that has programs in
Toblach/Dobbiaco, Altopiano di Asiago, and the Eastern Pyrenees/Ax-les-
Thermes. Will be there end of Feb or beginning of March.

My biggest concern is snow conditions. Judging from the weather
reports & webcams I've seen it's been quite warm in general, with
dicey coverage. Any recommendations / predictions about where the
best snow will be?

Any other input regarding terrain, scenery, etc.? I'm looking for a
mix of skate and classic, and get grumpy if the grooming is poor!

Thanks in advanced for any advice!
Old January 18th 10, 02:19 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
dardruba[_2_]

On 16/01/2010 02:17, KneeGuy wrote:
Am about to commit to a holiday with an outfit that has programs in
Toblach/Dobbiaco, Altopiano di Asiago, and the Eastern Pyrenees/Ax-les-
Thermes. Will be there end of Feb or beginning of March.

I don't know the 2nd and 3rd choices but Dobbiaco/Toblach should be
ideal at that time.
That main road east from the Brenner Highway through the Pustertal has a
lot of XC ski locations all the way to Lienz and the scenery is knockout.
Nearby are the ski locations of
Niederdorf/Villabassa,Innichen/SanCandido, Sexten/Sesto and Prags/Braies
and the Ski Centre at Dobbiaco/Toblach was seen recently on TV for the
Tour de Ski chase from Cortina to Dobbiaco. All the locations are known
for the snow quality, the variety of tracks and the quality of track
preparation.
Sure its on the south side of the Alps but it collects wind blown snow
from North and North East winds and while the sun is pleasant in March
its not quite so destructive as in the Val di Fiemme area.

Old January 20th 10, 11:36 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
KneeGuy

On Jan 18, 10:19*am, dardruba wrote:
[...]

Great to know, thanks! Although I've heard very recently of people
headed to various parts of Europe to ski who ended up hiking instead.
My big concern is the potential lack of snow, given how the season's
been in many places. Here in upstate NY, we have the worst conditions
I can remember in a very long time.
Old January 21st 10, 07:50 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Eugene Miya

In article ,
KneeGuy wrote:
Toblach/Dobbiaco,
Will be there end of Feb or beginning of March.

I was stuck there missing the last bus to Cortina 4 years ago.
It was a wonderful place. I had a wonderful time in a station pensione (1*)
close to the train station. And they have a new youth hostel next to the
train station. The food was very good. No one spoken English (much less
something like Japanese) in the pensione but that didn't stop them from
treating me very well.

My biggest concern is snow conditions. Judging from the weather
reports & webcams I've seen it's been quite warm in general, with
dicey coverage. Any recommendations / predictions about where the
best snow will be?

Any other input regarding terrain, scenery, etc.? I'm looking for a
mix of skate and classic, and get grumpy if the grooming is poor!

Grooming?
Well, yeah, I guess they do do some grooming.
Terrain and scenery are very nice Dolomite formations.

Toblach is near a NATO base for I think mountain warfare training.
I watched and heard CH-47 Chinooks, and they were driving Hagglunds
(drove one near McMurdo once) in the street.

--

Looking for an H-912 (container).

------------ And now a word from our sponsor ----------------------
For a quality mail server, try SurgeMail, easy to install,
fast, efficient and reliable. Run a million users on a standard
PC running NT or Unix without running out of power, use the best!
---- See http://netwinsite.com/sponsor/sponsor_surgemail.htm ----