Moguls

Old October 2nd 03, 01:13 PM

Old October 2nd 03, 01:43 PM

Old October 2nd 03, 02:16 PM
Chester Bullock

Default Moguls

Tim Sampson wrote:

Hi

What exactly are moguls?

Thanks
Tim

Reminds me of the famous tourist question: "What do you do with the
moguls in the summer?"

--
Chester Bullock,
Ethical, custom website hosting, design and programming

Old October 2nd 03, 03:01 PM
bdubya

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 14:13:51 +0100, "Tim Sampson"
wrote:

Hi

What exactly are moguls?

They're also called "bumps".
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~carstens/moguls.gif
http://images.chron.com/content/news...ahrkemogul.jpg

The term is also (inaccurately) applied to the sort of transverse,
rhythmless parallel ridges that form on a slope that sees a lot of
snowboards.

bw
Old October 2nd 03, 03:25 PM
Walt

bdubya wrote:
On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 14:13:51 +0100, "Tim Sampson"

What exactly are moguls?

The term is also (inaccurately) applied to the sort of transverse,
rhythmless parallel ridges that form on a slope that sees a lot of
snowboards.

Parallel? I've never seen snowboards leave parallel ridges. They've
always seemed completely random to me.

--
//-Walt
//
Old October 2nd 03, 03:28 PM
pigo

"Chester Bullock" wrote in message
Tim Sampson wrote:

Hi

What exactly are moguls?

Thanks
Tim

Reminds me of the famous tourist question: "What do you do with the
moguls in the summer?"

My favorite is "where does the white go when the snow melts?"

Old October 2nd 03, 04:11 PM
lal_truckee

Tim Sampson wrote:
Hi

What exactly are moguls?

Bumps in snow used to identify tamed snow where the proletariat are
allowed to ski - The aristocratic few ski elsewhere on untamed steeper
snow away from the maddening crowds.

Old October 2nd 03, 06:21 PM
foot2foot

Default Moguls (What are moguls?)

"Tim Sampson" wrote in message

Hi

What exactly are moguls?

Thanks
Tim

What skiers generall do is make linked half circles all the
way down the hill.

When a skier turns on a particular spot, it shaves a little
bit of snow off the slope in a half-cirular fashion. Then,
other skiers come along and turn in the same spot,
perhaps turning around the other side of the little "hill"
that the previous skier made.

After a while many little hills develop on the slope.
Then at night the *groomer* (big machine) comes
along and flattens out all the moguls to make it easy to
ski on the next day.

But some slopes are left in the above condition, and
the moguls get more and more pronounced, so that
those who like moguls can ski these runs.

Finally, this whole mogul thing turns into a
competition. For instance the Olympic mogul
competition, with people flying off jumps placed in
the middle of the mogul run.

Old October 2nd 03, 06:39 PM
Crashj

bdubya wrote in message . ..

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 14:13:51 +0100, "Tim Sampson" wrote:
What exactly are moguls?

They're also called "bumps".

I was once asked quite seriously why "we" built the darned things
right in the middle of the best slopes?

A favored technique is to grab a sled and head down the fall line,
letting the occupied toboggan run in the groove. It shows that the
slow route is in the valley around the bumps.

Actually skiing the bumps can be done by relaxing the legs in torsion
and allowing a flat ski to follow the groove line while keeping the
upper body straight down the hill. Checking on the downslope controls
the speed.

Crashj 'easier done than said' Johnson
Old October 2nd 03, 07:01 PM
Chester Bullock

Crashj wrote:

Actually skiing the bumps can be done by relaxing the legs in torsion
and allowing a flat ski to follow the groove line while keeping the
upper body straight down the hill. Checking on the downslope controls
the speed.

Man, is that all it takes? Wow, I must be doing it wrong then...

That's almost like saying in golf all you need to do is hit the ball
straight towards the pin and all will be good...

Some Observations Keith Snowboarding 24 February 26th 04 05:21 PM
Freeride board recommendations? msegal Snowboarding 12 February 18th 04 05:46 AM