Wanna do a 14ner this New Years Eve or Da

Old October 1st 03, 04:15 PM
Ulrich Hausmann

Default Wanna do a 14ner this New Years Eve or Da

B. Cooke wrote:

Too funny... Every once in a blue moon I ski with my roomate; his Husky is
quite proficient as a rescue dog (or so I've been assured). Problem is:
the damned thing hates me, so I doubt its utility.

i don't believe in the rescue qualities of a husky. they're good for 2
things: running and eating ;-)

in andermatt because of their resistence they tried to train them as
rescue dogs, but they didn't learn anything.

greetings,

ulrich

Old October 1st 03, 04:22 PM
lal_truckee

MoonMan wrote:

In ,
B. Cooke typed:

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003, Bob Lee wrote:

avalung and inflatable balloon backpack thing are debatable items.
Hey, how about an avy-rescue dog? Those are handy.

Too funny... Every once in a blue moon I ski with my roomate; his
Husky is quite proficient as a rescue dog (or so I've been assured).
Problem is: the damned thing hates me, so I doubt its utility.

Sorry to be an ignorant Brit, but what is a 14ner, apart from a very
succseful conker?

A 14ner is one of the 14,000 foot peaks in the contiguous United States.
(I believe "contiguous" is part of the definition - usually the Alaskan
and Hawaiian 14,000+ peaks are not included? Correct?)

BTW Collyradicans misbelieve that they have cornered the market on
14ners, and so assume when speaking of 14ners - as usual, they are
incorrect.

Old October 1st 03, 05:44 PM
Mike Garrison

lal_truckee wrote:

A 14ner is one of the 14,000 foot peaks in the contiguous United States.
(I believe "contiguous" is part of the definition - usually the Alaskan
and Hawaiian 14,000+ peaks are not included? Correct?)

BTW Collyradicans misbelieve that they have cornered the market on
14ners, and so assume when speaking of 14ners - as usual, they are
incorrect.

Just like Texans. They never talk about Alaska either.

-Mike
Old October 1st 03, 06:34 PM
Gary S.

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 17:44:56 GMT, Mike Garrison
wrote:

lal_truckee wrote:

A 14ner is one of the 14,000 foot peaks in the contiguous United States.
(I believe "contiguous" is part of the definition - usually the Alaskan
and Hawaiian 14,000+ peaks are not included? Correct?)

BTW Collyradicans misbelieve that they have cornered the market on
14ners, and so assume when speaking of 14ners - as usual, they are
incorrect.

Just like Texans. They never talk about Alaska either.

Telling Coloradans they are just like Texans in some way should get
amusing.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA
Old October 2nd 03, 12:18 AM
Richard Henry

"Bob Lee" wrote in message
MoonMan wrote:

Sorry to be an ignorant Brit, but what is a 14ner, apart from a very
succseful conker?

No problem with the Brit-ness, and now that lal answered your question,
what's a conker?

Bob

I bet I already know...I just want to see what you say.

Well, I don't, so thank you for asking so I don't have to look ignorant.

Old October 2nd 03, 12:28 AM
Crashj

Mike Garrison wrote in message ...
foot2foot wrote:

There's only *one* thing you *really* need, and
that's a beacon. The other things you really need
are a probe and a shovel. Clothes are but a luxury.

-Mike (wondering if it is legal to "do a 14ner", or does
that vary state by state?)

Well, that depends on the clothing, as long as the 14ner has her
mother's permission.

Crashj 'happy nude year' Johnson
Old October 2nd 03, 07:16 AM
BrritSki

Bob Lee wrote:

MoonMan wrote:

Sorry to be an ignorant Brit, but what is a 14ner, apart from a very
succseful conker?

No problem with the Brit-ness, and now that lal answered your question,
what's a conker?

The fruit of a horse-chestnut tree.

They are falling now (or have already fallen) and then the green spiky
(but not prickly) shell splits and a beautiful shiny chestnut brown seed
is revealed, about an inch in diameter. Inedible, but small boys (and
some strange men) drill holes through them and thread one on to a
knotted string and then they play conkers, where one player holds his
conker still while the other player swings his and hits it. Then they
change over and alternate until one conker is smashed to pieces. The
victorious conker goes on and is known by the number of winds, thus a
fiver or the 14ner that Chris referred to. There are various arcane
recipes for hardening your conker (doubtless to appear soon as spam)
such as soaking them in vinegar and/or baking them.
There was some fear reported recently that the drought has caused the
conkers to drop early and be too small so the World Championships may be
cancelled
Google for more info.

Old October 2nd 03, 09:56 AM
Janet

A 14ner is one of the 14,000 foot peaks in the contiguous United States.
(I believe "contiguous" is part of the definition - usually the Alaskan
and Hawaiian 14,000+ peaks are not included? Correct?)

definitely not Hawaii, we don't have any 14,000 foot peaks that I know of.....