Atomic Don, Samonon Definition, Rossi Myth - any comments

Old October 20th 03, 06:34 PM
Ian Turek

Default Atomic Don, Samonon Definition, Rossi Myth - any comments

I had been on Ride Control 157 with hard boots (Shimano) and K2 clickers
till last season. The board has a bit too much sidecut for the type of
riding I like to do (groomed or powder runs with occassional steeper
sections and mogules; from time to time bump and jump action but no pipe)
and the hard boots (while snaggy) are a very uncomfortable after hours of
riding.

I getting ready to get a new gear. I am looking at the Salomon Malamutes as
they are supposdly very snaggy but still very comfy, bindings that will hold
me in the boots that I choose, and one of the following boards:

Atomic Don (great parameters but not my favorite graphics; also new on the
market with little comments)
Salomon Definition (some great reviews except that the board is on a heavy
side; some say that it is too stiff too)
Rossi Myth (good parameters but cannot find much opinions about this board)

If you have any info about the a bove boards, would you mind sharing it?

Thanks!!

Old October 20th 03, 07:28 PM
Mike T

If you have any info about the a bove boards, would you mind sharing
it?

When you say "Shimano hard boots", are you talking about those hybrid
ones that look like a soft boot with "armor" on them? I find my "true"
Raichle hard boots (look like a hard-shell ski boot save from the sole)
more comfy than any soft boot for riding, just not for walking... but I
digress...

I've never ridden the Definition, but I have ridden the 550 which is the
model that the Definition replaced in the Salomon lineup. It can really
hold a carve, but I thought the flex felt too... "synthetic". It would
go so far and then just stop. I like something where the more you bend
it, the more resistance you get.

Have you considered a Donek Incline (or Wide, or Sasquatch depending on
your foot size)? I've written much about these boards and why I love
'em on this newsgroup before (search using Google to read up on it) but
in summary: They have a bigger sidecut radius (less sidecut), longer
effective edge, and are stiffer across the board (torsional stiffness)
that most of the freeride / freestyle boards on the market of similar
lengths. (A 160 cm has a 9.09 m sidecut, 127 cm eff. edge. The only
well-known boards I know of that are similar is Prior and Rad-Air) They
are extremely stable at any speed and the flex has a nice progressive
feel. Probably not the best board to ride if you're jibbing all day
(want something really bendy for that) or if you spend all day in the
halfpipe (would prefer to sacrifice stability at speed for a tighter
sidecut) but for all-mountain riding, powder, carving, park, etc I can't
recommend them highly enough.

I use the Malamutes (when I'm not on my hard boots), and find them quite
comfy (not as comfy as hard boots with custom-fit liners, mind you), but
keep in mind the inside shape fits my feet well. Others can recommend
alternatives that are also very stiff but fit differently.

Mike T

Old October 21st 03, 06:56 PM
Ian Turek

Mike,

the Shimanos were the hybrid ones - softies but with the reinforced external
frame and a lockable angle adjustment.

Thanks for the info. I will definitely look at the Donek Incline (they also
have interesting sales gig with the direct purchase)

Another suggestion was to look at the GNU\Lib_Tech line. I checked them out
and they look interesting. I would definitely exclude ones with the
sintered carbon base (while super fast, it requires continuous waxing) but
their TNT base ones like Denny Kase, Team Rider Series and Phoenix seem
worth checking.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Ian

Old October 25th 03, 10:28 PM
Arvin Chang

"Ian Turek" wrote in message ...

I getting ready to get a new gear. I am looking at the Salomon Malamutes as
they are supposdly very snaggy but still very comfy, bindings that will hold
me in the boots that I choose, and one of the following boards:

Salomon Definition (some great reviews except that the board is on a heavy
side; some say that it is too stiff too)

Hey I have the Salomon Definition 156. It is an excellent board for
carving and cruising at high speeds. It is a bit heavy and more
importantly it is very stiff - making it feel like you can't "rush" it
into a carve. At first I was a little annoyed by this, but you get
used to it. The board is good for going fast and carving big long
tracks down the slope, it is extremely stable at high speeds and you
will be able to blast through crud and chunky snow without problem -
I've ridden through a bunch of sketchy landings that usually throw
most other people around like ragdolls without a problem. You need to
be a very confidant and strong rider for the board though.

After talking to Mike T and Sean Martin of Donek. I too am considering
getting a Donek Incline and then selling my Salomon Definition (1
seasons). If you wear size 8 boots, I have a pair of brand new K2
Firebirds and Magma Clicker HB bindings (never used). I would give it
all away for not much more than a price of a new Incline. Of course...
you gotta be thinking... "if this guy is going from a Definition to an
Incline, maybe I should just do it too."

--arvin
Old October 27th 03, 08:46 PM
Ian Turek

Cool info on the Definition but I am also big time conidering Donek. I also
am the kind of a person that really injoys changing the gear for new one.
While with the new cars you loose a lot of $$$, with snowboarding gear is
just a few hundred bucks every coupld of years. Thanks for the offer!!

"Arvin Chang" wrote in message
om...