New Snowboard

Old August 25th 04, 04:41 PM
Steve

Default New Snowboard

Any advice would be appreciated on this one..

Heres the situation:
No problem with Red runs at all.
Take Black runs with a bit of caution.
Just started to ride switch.
Make the odd jump when the terrain allows.
Have size 11 boots.
Going to spend a month in Canada in January.

Im 6'3", 184lbs, Size 11 Boots

What I need is a new board that will allow me to progress through the
month. ie kickers, go into the park, hit some serious runs.

The ones I was thinking about were the Burton Canyon 163 or the Ride
Decade 162 Wide.

Any ideas?

Cheers
Steve
Old August 25th 04, 05:11 PM

Take a good look at the Prior All Mountain Freestyle (AMF). You can
even call Chris Prior with any questions you might have. I own the
Prior Men's Freeride MFR) now (have yet to ride it), and have heard
great things firsthand about the AMF:

http://www.priorsnowboards.com/frame...ge=boards.html

The pictured topsheets are old. The 2004 topsheets have alot more
style. Not that its terribly important, but just FYI.

Brian.

Old August 25th 04, 09:35 PM
Dick Dragon

"Steve" wrote in message
om...
Any advice would be appreciated on this one..

Heres the situation:
No problem with Red runs at all.
Take Black runs with a bit of caution.
Just started to ride switch.
Make the odd jump when the terrain allows.
Have size 11 boots.
Going to spend a month in Canada in January.

Im 6'3", 184lbs, Size 11 Boots

What I need is a new board that will allow me to progress through the
month. ie kickers, go into the park, hit some serious runs.

The ones I was thinking about were the Burton Canyon 163 or the Ride
Decade 162 Wide.

Any ideas?

Cheers
Steve

Hey Steve. Where in Canada will you be? out west in B.C., Alberta Area or
further east like Ontario, Quebec?
As far as boards go don't let the size of your feet limit the type of boards
to buy I ride a rather narrow Burton Dominant but becuase Ive got toe ramps
on my bindings I have no problem with drag. also you can look into buying
risers if you dont want new bindings the just elevate your bindings a bit.
as far as boards go if your looking into somehting of a all mountain board
Option Makes some nice ones too many to list one that comes to mind is the
booter. If you want somehting more for freestyle only I suggust you also
drop the size of your boards down im 6'1 and i ride a 158 but I spend 90% of
my time in the park. Hope any of that Helps ya out.
Cheers,
Dick.

Old August 29th 04, 04:49 PM
Tiburon27

I would suggest a GNU Carbon Highbeam Wide, or a GNU Riders Choice. Each
are awesome, fully versatile boards.
I have also owned (in previous years) 3 different Lib Tech Emma Peels. My
first Emma had a manufacturers defect so I sent it back near the end of the
season and got a next years model (!!!).
www.mervin.com should provide you with a board well suited to your needs. I
tend to shy away from Burton becasue of their funky 3-hole binding pattern.
If you don't have 3-hole bindings you are usually stuck with one stance
option. Why limit yourself?

Old August 30th 04, 09:03 PM
Dick Dragon

"Tiburon27" wrote in message
I would suggest a GNU Carbon Highbeam Wide, or a GNU Riders Choice. Each
are awesome, fully versatile boards.
I have also owned (in previous years) 3 different Lib Tech Emma Peels. My
first Emma had a manufacturers defect so I sent it back near the end of

the
season and got a next years model (!!!).
www.mervin.com should provide you with a board well suited to your needs.

tend to shy away from Burton becasue of their funky 3-hole binding

pattern.
If you don't have 3-hole bindings you are usually stuck with one stance
option. Why limit yourself?

You can just as easily go out and for 5.65 canadian buy universal
baseplates for your bindings that work with any hole configuration.

Old August 31st 04, 02:58 PM
Tiburon27

You can just as easily go out and for 5.65 canadian buy universal
baseplates for your bindings that work with any hole configuration.

You can just as easily go out and for 5.65 canadian buy universal
baseplates for your bindings that work with any hole configuration.

You mean the disk and not baseplates. The baseplates are the entire footbed
of the binding. None of the shops in my area carry universal disks. You
would also need to make sure that the teeth pattern of the disk fit that of
the baseplate and different bindings are thin profile, thick profile, metal,
pseudo plastic etc.
Again, why limit yourself, and now why have a headache? Buy a board that
doesn't force you to buy their proprietary bindings. I have no problem with
Burton design or R&D except for that crazy 3 hole pattern.
-Tiburon