Winter Park & Vail - Advice

Old February 17th 05, 07:29 PM
Ian Lowry

Default Winter Park & Vail - Advice

After many years skiing in Europe I'll be spending my first skiing holidfay
in the US (a week in Winter Park followed by a week in Vail (starting 5th
March)).

I've noticed that the lift tickets for vail are very expensive. Does any one
have any advice on best way to buy and from where? I'd probably be looking
for a 5 days out of 6, 5days out of 7 or possibly 6 days skiing.

Also any other general advice? eg, Any problems with queues and how to
avoid? Good places to drink/eat? Car parking?

Any views on which of the other resorts covered on the Vail ticket is worth
time out of my first week there?

Thanks in advance.Ian!

Old February 17th 05, 08:14 PM
uglymoney

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 20:29:27 -0000, "Ian Lowry"
wrote:

After many years skiing in Europe I'll be spending my first skiing holidfay
in the US (a week in Winter Park followed by a week in Vail (starting 5th
March)).

I've noticed that the lift tickets for vail are very expensive. Does any one
have any advice on best way to buy and from where?

I was there early this fall. I found a guy scalping group rate
tickets. I think I paid $51 or so, and they were going for full rack
at the window.

So look for scalpers.

nate
Old February 17th 05, 08:25 PM
lal_truckee

Ian Lowry wrote:
After many years skiing in Europe I'll be spending my first skiing holidfay
in the US (a week in Winter Park followed by a week in Vail (starting 5th
March)).

I've noticed that the lift tickets for vail are very expensive. Does any one
have any advice on best way to buy and from where? I'd probably be looking
for a 5 days out of 6, 5days out of 7 or possibly 6 days skiing.

Also any other general advice? eg, Any problems with queues and how to
avoid? Good places to drink/eat? Car parking?

Any views on which of the other resorts covered on the Vail ticket is worth
time out of my first week there?

If you've got a car, plan to ski the other places (particularly
A-Basin), not just Vail; in fact forget Vail and just ski the other
places. You'll save a small fortune and get better skiing. DON'T buy a
Vail 5/6 ticket and ski the others on the ticket - they are all cheaper
at the window IIRC. Can someone confirm this? A-Basin is much cheaper I
recall.

Humrph. I suppose you'll have to ski Vail a day or two just to be able
to say you skied Vail. Dam marketing racketeers.

Thanks in advance.Ian!

Old February 20th 05, 03:33 PM
Walt

Ian Lowry wrote:
After many years skiing in Europe I'll be spending my first skiing holidfay
in the US (a week in Winter Park followed by a week in Vail (starting 5th
March)).

I've noticed that the lift tickets for vail are very expensive. Does any one
have any advice on best way to buy and from where? I'd probably be looking
for a 5 days out of 6, 5days out of 7 or possibly 6 days skiing.

Also any other general advice? eg, Any problems with queues and how to
avoid? Good places to drink/eat? Car parking?

Any views on which of the other resorts covered on the Vail ticket is worth
time out of my first week there?

Thanks in advance.Ian!

I was skiing at Yyyy last week with a pinna who's somewhat familiar
with Vail and he reminded me of this:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...24439c6477a841

I'm not allowed to say any more at this point. Doctor's orders.

--
// Walt
//

Old February 20th 05, 04:28 PM
Richard Henry

"Walt" wrote in message
Ian Lowry wrote:
[...]

Nobody ski at Vail any more. It's too crowded. -- Yogi Skierra

Old February 22nd 05, 07:36 PM
nogodforme

What about Breckenridge?
I'm thinking of going there next year. I go early in the season, so
crowds are not a problem.
What's the best resort to stay in that's not far from the lift?

Old February 22nd 05, 07:51 PM
snoig

"nogodforme" wrote in message
oups.com...
What about Breckenridge?
I'm thinking of going there next year. I go early in the season, so
crowds are not a problem.
What's the best resort to stay in that's not far from the lift?

Depends how early in the season for crowds. Thanksgiving, Xmas - crowded.
Breck opens early usually and gets a lot of traffic due to the buddy passes.
Lots of people + limited terrain = crowded.

There are lots of ski-in, ski-out places in Breck so the best thing to do is
google for something in your price range.

snoig