ski storage ...

Old February 9th 05, 03:18 PM
Le Dieu

Default ski storage ...

....Should skis be stored for long periods with bindings open or closed? I'm
assuming 'closed' means, as if you're boot was in it.

Does it matter? Anything else I should know?

TIA

A. D.

Old February 9th 05, 04:13 PM
Steve Pardoe

"Le Dieu" wrote in message
...Should skis be stored for long periods with bindings open or closed?

I'm
assuming 'closed' means, as if you're boot was in it.

Does it matter? Anything else I should know?

....and what's the comparable answer regarding ski boots? We've been told to
store them (as in, for 51 weeks) with the clasps fastened - is this right,
and how tightly (and does it matter?)?

Steve

Old February 9th 05, 04:23 PM
KMM

"Le Dieu" wrote in message
...Should skis be stored for long periods with bindings open or closed?

I'm
assuming 'closed' means, as if you're boot was in it.

Does it matter? Anything else I should know?

I store my skis with the binding open i.e. as if I were about to step in to
the binding.

Old February 9th 05, 04:25 PM
KMM

"Steve Pardoe" wrote in message

"Le Dieu" wrote in message
...Should skis be stored for long periods with bindings open or closed?

I'm
assuming 'closed' means, as if you're boot was in it.

Does it matter? Anything else I should know?

...and what's the comparable answer regarding ski boots? We've been told

store them (as in, for 51 weeks) with the clasps fastened - is this right,
and how tightly (and does it matter?)?

Yes. If I am not using my boots I fasten to the same position I have them in
whilst skiing.

Old February 9th 05, 04:30 PM
Le Dieu

"Le Dieu" wrote in message
...Should skis be stored for long periods with bindings open or closed?

I'm
assuming 'closed' means, as if you're boot was in it.

Does it matter? Anything else I should know?

...and what's the comparable answer regarding ski boots? We've been told

store them (as in, for 51 weeks) with the clasps fastened - is this
right,
and how tightly (and does it matter?)?

Yes. If I am not using my boots I fasten to the same position I have them
in
whilst skiing.

Yep, I always fasten my boots to store all done up.

But skis, I was just reading the blurb on my new bindings and it recommends
that you store them closed. This had never occurred to me and I wondered if
anyone else does this. And why?

A. D.

Old February 9th 05, 04:33 PM
Ace

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 15:18:57 GMT, "Le Dieu" wrote:

...Should skis be stored for long periods with bindings open or closed? I'm
assuming 'closed' means, as if you're boot was in it.

Does it matter? Anything else I should know?

The Fritcshi biondings I bought last week specifically state that they
should be stored in the relaxed, i.e. as if there was a boot in,
position. Dunno if this really makes a difference, but the idea is
that in the open position the spring are under compression, so in
theory over time might lose some of their 'spring'.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old February 9th 05, 04:42 PM
Le Dieu

"Ace" wrote in message
On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 15:18:57 GMT, "Le Dieu" wrote:

...Should skis be stored for long periods with bindings open or closed?
I'm
assuming 'closed' means, as if you're boot was in it.

Does it matter? Anything else I should know?

The Fritcshi biondings I bought last week specifically state that they
should be stored in the relaxed, i.e. as if there was a boot in,
position. Dunno if this really makes a difference, but the idea is
that in the open position the spring are under compression, so in
theory over time might lose some of their 'spring'.

Ta. That's settled then. Closed it is.

A. D.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
All opinions expressed are personal and in no way represent those of the

Old February 9th 05, 10:35 PM
John Elgy

Le Dieu wrote:
...Should skis be stored for long periods with bindings open or closed? I'm
assuming 'closed' means, as if you're boot was in it.

Does it matter? Anything else I should know?

TIA

A. D.

A friend of of mine once went to a ski shop where they said the bindings
were to be screwed back to a zero setting 'to stop the springs creeping'
(I was unaware of creep happening on steel), but of course, come the
fateful day his binding just exploded half way down a black run - no one
had done them up again. After a lot of searching we managed to rebuild
the binding. We learnt a few lessons that day:

1/ Check your equipment before setting off for the day. In particular,
make sure no one has fiddled with it without you noticing.

2/ Always have at least a screw driver with you.

3/ When you take your skis off, black runs are suprisingly steep.

BTW I just store my skis with the bindings set just as I stepped out of
them (which is probably wrong) and my boots lightly done up.

John

Old February 10th 05, 10:01 AM
mutley

"Steve Pardoe" wrote in message "Le Dieu" wrote in message

...Should skis be stored for long periods with bindings open or closed?

I'm assuming 'closed' means, as if you're boot was in it.
Does it matter? Anything else I should know?
...and what's the comparable answer regarding ski boots? We've been

told to
store them (as in, for 51 weeks) with the clasps fastened - is this right,
and how tightly (and does it matter?)?

The only advice I have read about boots is that the linings should be
removed every night while skiing to make sure they dry out properly: no-one
does this where hot-air ski racks are provided and it's a right pain to get
them back in on some makes.
As for bindings, it's suggested that they are wound back to zero and then
back up to the required setting before each trip, apparently to make sure
that the tension setting has not stuck.
In both cases I would have thought that the most important thing was to
store in a dry atmosphere -- garages may not be the best location.
HTH
mutley

Old February 10th 05, 05:36 PM
Adrian D. Shaw

Felly sgrifennodd John Elgy :
2/ Always have at least a screw driver with you.

How does that tie in with the rule which states: Don't ski with sharp objects
about your person. ?

Adrian

--
Adrian Shaw ais@