Provo River, Today, 06/27/05 & Sams mini vacation

Old June 28th 05, 12:13 AM
Sam Seiber

Default Provo River, Today, 06/27/05 & Sams mini vacation

AstroPax wrote:
All of that "lots of snow" is melting away and dumping into the
rivers.
I'm waxing the Kayak.
Upper Provo River, Uinta Mountains, today, for example:
http://nikon.astropax.com/scenic/provo_river_004.htm
http://nikon.astropax.com/scenic/provo_river_005.htm
-Astro

Just a question on the second pic ...005.htm,
exposure said 1/2.5 second.
Huh, is this a fraction & a decimal value in one? Is that
a half second + .5 second, for 1 second? Is this .4 seconds (one divide
by two point five)? What kind of math do they use in Utah?
How do you say that value in words?

Anyway, Did a mini Colorado vacation over last weekend. Walked to the
top of Wolf Creek ski area (the big snow depth area in Colorado). Wish
I would brought my twigs. I could have made the top half of the trip
back down on them, rather than romp through the slush powders wearing my
sneakers. Pictures will show up sometime this summer on my site
(iskico.com).

Also checked out Silverton (just a tiny portion), took a picture there
that
generated another question. I gotta get that posted soon, so youze here
can help me with the question.

Telluride sure looks raped by the rich. Don't think I am gonna be going
there during the winter anytime soon.

Durango Mtn Resort looked kind of hip. Camped out within about a mile
of
the area Friday nite.

So I have had a chance to see four ski areas I have never seen before.
Wolf
Creek will be a gas to visit in the winter. It will be the first area
that
I have hiked before I skied.

Sadly, it wanted to be overcast at night. Sure makes a telescope a drag
use.

Sam "16.5973624 weeks (approx) to wait for the Loveland opening" Seiber
Old June 28th 05, 03:12 AM
uglymoney

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 20:45:59 -0600, AstroPax
wrote:

I agree. The last time I skied there myself was sometime around 1983.

It was still good through the late 80's. By the time I made it back
in the early 90's the money had pretty much taken the life out of main
street. The skiing is still good though, and the scenery. I'm going
back, but will have to stay out of town, prolly somewhere like this:

http://www.ourayriversideinn.com/

Seem to remember drinking a little too much at a place called "fly me
to the moon saloon", or something like that.

I remember that place. Well sort of.

nate
Old June 28th 05, 03:22 AM
uglymoney

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 18:13:35 -0600, Sam Seiber
wrote:

nyway, Did a mini Colorado vacation over last weekend. Walked to the
top of Wolf Creek ski area (the big snow depth area in Colorado). Wish
I would brought my twigs. I could have made the top half of the trip
back down on them, rather than romp through the slush powders wearing my
sneakers. Pictures will show up sometime this summer on my site
(iskico.com).

Sounds like a great trip. I've done basically the same loop.

Also checked out Silverton (just a tiny portion), took a picture there
that
generated another question. I gotta get that posted soon, so youze here
can help me with the question.

Look forward to the pictures.

Telluride sure looks raped by the rich. Don't think I am gonna be going
there during the winter anytime soon.

Yes, but you should still go ski it. Great mountain.

Durango Mtn Resort looked kind of hip. Camped out within about a mile
of
the area Friday nite.

Nice little camping area (though too close to the road). I've stayed
in the same spot. The ampitheatre campground in Ouray is nice as
well. I have a couple favored spots that are high gravel road
campgrounds and basically deserted after Labor day.

Damn, I might have to go back to the San Juans this September. I was
thinking about it just today, put in for vacation even, and then Sam
taunts me with a post like this.

nate

Old June 28th 05, 04:55 AM
Sam Seiber

Astro,
Right now, I just gotta ask you and the rest of the gang,
See the pictu
http://www.iskico.com/Temp/p87.jpg

Now, which sign just doesn't belong?

this space intentionaly left blank

never understood that, it ISN'T blank, read on

This is on THE lift at the base of Silverton Mountain.
It really cracked me up. I am pretty sure the sign on the left is
required by law. The sign on the right is just good manners, and
perhaps an insurance discount. They just flat DON'T go together.

Mike Saemisch, what do you think?

Sam "Looking for the funny stuff at the ski areas" Seiber
Old June 28th 05, 05:19 AM
Sam Seiber

uglymoney wrote in
Sounds like a great trip. I've done basically the same loop.

Wolf Creek hit me right. I have never seen the place until now.
Older lifts. Reminds me of our older poster TCS (The Colorado Skier).
Walked down Wolf Creek high poma lift line (which reminds me big time
of my poma at Loveland).

Look forward to the pictures.

See my other post, or look at http://www.iskico.com/Temp/p87.jpg

Telluride sure looks raped by the rich. Don't think I am gonna be going
there during the winter anytime soon.

Yes, but you should still go ski it. Great mountain.

Dunno ugly. With my Bonus 5 A-Basin pass, I can get a day at Vale (sp on
purpose), and that is a 2 hr drive from my house. Telluride doesn't look
like anything so special I would dump that kind of money into. Plus it
just makes the "developers" (**** on the planet and get rich quick
realestate people and Hollywood types) continue there planet rape.

OH ****. I got on my damn soap box. Damn, Telluride.... The old mantra
was Vail, yes, Vail. Well, Telluride, if you love to shop.

Durango Mtn Resort looked kind of hip. Camped out within about a mile
of
the area Friday nite.

Nice little camping area (though too close to the road). I've stayed
in the same spot. The ampitheatre campground in Ouray is nice as
well. I have a couple favored spots that are high gravel road
campgrounds and basically deserted after Labor day.

My camp spot was about 7 miles west on a dirt road that pretty much
followed DMR as well. Had something like 8 spots in the entire campground.
I saw just a few other spots off the road, but I am not sure if they
are legal. I drove by Ampitheater in Ouray the next, after spending $3
to do the scenic chair lift at DMR. The lifty at the top seemed to be
a bit of a lift manufacture buff like me & TCS. She knew her Yan from a
Poma, from her Dopplemeyer.

Damn, I might have to go back to the San Juans this September. I was
thinking about it just today, put in for vacation even, and then Sam
taunts me with a post like this.

nate

Hey, ugly, you are always welcome in my home state. Hope you can do your
vacation here. Hell, I have lived here for 44 of my 48 years of my life.
Still nice to know this native can find something new fun to see & do.

Now, I havn't seen the Milky Way in several years. Denver is not the place
to find it. But in the last few years I have been in the mountains, I am
not sure if the sky is getting that mucky that details I recall just are
not there. When I was camped by DMR, I had my small telescope out, and was
looking at a globular cluster at low power. I dropped in a higher power
eyepeice, and I couldn't see the globular. A cloud dropped in over
Scorpius.
and good bye to my nice view. An hour later, and it was rain time.

Sam "I ski Loveland" Seiber
Old June 28th 05, 05:20 AM
The Real Bev

Sam Seiber wrote:

Astro,
Right now, I just gotta ask you and the rest of the gang,
See the pictu
http://www.iskico.com/Temp/p87.jpg

Now, which sign just doesn't belong?

this space intentionaly left blank

never understood that, it ISN'T blank, read on

This is on THE lift at the base of Silverton Mountain.
It really cracked me up. I am pretty sure the sign on the left is
required by law. The sign on the right is just good manners, and
perhaps an insurance discount. They just flat DON'T go together.

Mike Saemisch, what do you think?

Sam "Looking for the funny stuff at the ski areas" Seiber

I'm not Mike, but given the number of people here who pride themselves on
their ability to hike for their turns, it just might be possible that there's
a purist who NEVER rode a lift. Not that any of us would know such a lunatic,
of course...

--
Cheers, Bev
"Welcome to Hell, here's your accordion."
Old June 28th 05, 07:51 PM
Walt

Sam Seiber wrote:

Astro,
Right now, I just gotta ask you and the rest of the gang,
See the pictu
http://www.iskico.com/Temp/p87.jpg

Now, which sign just doesn't belong?

I shared this picture with a colleague. His response below:

Wow man.

Please ask the attendant? Ask him/her what exactly? To call Rescue in
advance?

-Walt
Old June 28th 05, 08:24 PM
uglymoney

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 05:19:16 -0000, Sam Seiber
wrote:

Yes, but you should still go ski it. Great mountain.

Dunno ugly. With my Bonus 5 A-Basin pass, I can get a day at Vale (sp on
purpose), and that is a 2 hr drive from my house. Telluride doesn't look
like anything so special I would dump that kind of money into. Plus it
just makes the "developers" (**** on the planet and get rich quick
realestate people and Hollywood types) continue there planet rape.

OH ****. I got on my damn soap box. Damn, Telluride.... The old mantra
was Vail, yes, Vail. Well, Telluride, if you love to shop.

Vail is flat, Telluride is comparatively steep. Vail is on an
interstate, Telluride is not.

I put T-ride more in a class with the truly great NA mountains that
offer real expert terrain. It has something unique to offer: steep
black runs that wind down through trees into town. Long steep and
good. T-ride doesn't have every type of terrain to please all people,
but then neither does A-Basin or Alta or Crested Butte.

Yeah, money destroyed the town (or was destroying it last I could
afford to visit). Oh well, I still like the mountain.

nate

Old June 28th 05, 10:47 PM
lal_truckee

Sam Seiber wrote:
Astro,
Right now, I just gotta ask you and the rest of the gang,
See the pictu
http://www.iskico.com/Temp/p87.jpg

Now, which sign just doesn't belong?

this space intentionaly left blank

never understood that, it ISN'T blank, read on

This is on THE lift at the base of Silverton Mountain.
It really cracked me up. I am pretty sure the sign on the left is
required by law. The sign on the right is just good manners, and
perhaps an insurance discount. They just flat DON'T go together.

Maybe. Or maybe not. Which sign is more likely to keep the never-ever
from riding the lift? Left? Right?

IMO the sign at the right attracts never-evers (actually, hardly-evers)
while the one at the left may give them pause - as in maybe the lift is
hard to load and they don't want to look like a doofuss while showing
off to friends, at least not before getting up the mountain.
Old July 1st 05, 01:27 AM
bdubya

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 15:51:08 -0400, Walt
wrote:

Sam Seiber wrote:

Astro,
Right now, I just gotta ask you and the rest of the gang,
See the pictu
http://www.iskico.com/Temp/p87.jpg

Now, which sign just doesn't belong?

I shared this picture with a colleague. His response below:

Wow man.

Please ask the attendant? Ask him/her what exactly? To call Rescue in
advance?

Ask him how to ride the lift, so that he can shut it down until you go
away?

bw