Copper Mountain Opinions

Old January 29th 04, 10:12 PM
leo

Default Copper Mountain Opinions

Please..any opinions on Copper Mountain Co.....

Thanks..

Old January 29th 04, 11:10 PM
Paul Christofanelli

leo wrote:
: Please..any opinions on Copper Mountain Co.....
:

Here's an opinion:
Best overall ski area on or within 20 minutes of I-70. Most variety
and good snow. So Sam is happy, I'll say that Loveland is the
best ski area ON I-70 (it really is ON I-70).

-PC

Old January 30th 04, 03:28 AM
H. R. Bob Hofmann

"leo" wrote in message . com...
Please..any opinions on Copper Mountain Co.....

Thanks..

It's ok, I prefer Breck and Keystone,. Keystone has a gondola from
the River Run Base that is great when weather is not so good. You can
warm up a bit out of the wind and snow using the gondola, and then
tear down to the bottom and then warm up again. The only problem is
that the runs that fgo down from the top to the gondola are green and
some easy blues. The harder blues and blacks are all on the backside
of the first Keystone mountain, and farther back toward the Outback.

Copper has great bowls, if they are open. Someone else, like maybe
Chester Bullock, can give you great Copper advice as he used to work
there, and issued a report on the "true" Copper snow conditions that
were a hoot to compare to what the Official Copper website was saying.
Contact Chester at blackdiamondcomputing, I think.

H. R.(Bob) Hofmann
Old January 30th 04, 06:25 AM
Annoying Former Instructor Guy

"leo" wrote
Please..any opinions on Copper Mountain Co.....

Great mountain. Good terrain for beginners and intermediates.
Really probably the best beginner terrain anywhere. Good bump
runs, but not really enough steep, untamed type terrain for
my taste. The base amenities have improved, although it
doesn't offer the broad nightlife of Breckinridge.

If you view skiing as a workout, doing laps on the superbee
is a good way to burn several million calories going downhill.

Oh yeah. If you rent a condo, get one of the older ones. The
newer ones are smaller (by design) so that you'll go out and
spend more money. Gotta love Intrawest.

Old January 30th 04, 01:24 PM
Chester Bullock

H. R. Bob Hofmann wrote:
"leo" wrote in message . com...

[...]

Bob, you were close, it's - I get so much spam
these days, what's a few more pieces?

----------------------
Chester

The man who strikes first admits that his ideas have given out.
- Chinese Proverb
Old January 30th 04, 01:34 PM
Chester Bullock

leo wrote:

Please..any opinions on Copper Mountain Co.....

Thanks..

I read the other opinions, and they sum it up well. What they fail to
mention however is that Copper has one of the most naturally divided
mountains for varying skill levels. The beginners tend to stay on the
west side, the intermediates in the middle, and the advanced to the
east. This may sound trivial, but try being at River Run or one of
Keystone's other 2 trails that give base access at about 3:30 in the
afternoon - total mayhem.

You didn't indicate your skill level, so I can't really recommend where
to ski on the mountain. My favorite loops on a powder morning though
were up the Eagle to the Excelerator. Do laps on Excelerator until
Resolution or Storm King open. Then do laps on Storm King until they
open Spaulding Bowl. From there it will be total bliss. Spaulding gets
all kinds of snow when Copper gets even a trace, because of how the wind
blows. The trees below Spaulding are fun too, just go downhill past the
cat track. Stay along the ropeline and all will be good. Of course,
this plan only works if you are comfortable with steep terrain, varying
conditions, and trees. YMMV.

IMHO, the base area is not where you want to be for nightlife. I lived
there a few years ago and the place was pretty dead at night. They are
trying to change that, but I don't know how well it is working. The
bars in Breck or even Frisco are much more fun. I live in Denver now and
don't hang out up there after dark, so things may have changed, but I
know Breck is still a party town.

Save your money and stay in Frisco, Dillon, Silverthorne or Wildernest.
Deals are all over the place. A few can be found at
http://www.lodgingsale.com

Wow, I haven't written that much here for a long time. Hope this helps.
Next time be more specific and I can give you better answers.

----------------------
Chester

Downhill good, uphill bad.
Old January 30th 04, 09:55 PM
Sam Seiber

Paul Christofanelli wrote:
So Sam is happy, I'll say that Loveland is the
best ski area ON I-70 (it really is ON I-70).

-PC

I am a happy guy :-) :-) :-)

Sam "I ski Loveland" Seiber
Old January 31st 04, 12:13 AM
eedwards

"leo" wrote in message
om...
Please..any opinions on Copper Mountain Co.....

I have answered a similar request on Steamboat... which I declared as my
favorite Colorado area. Since I can't go to Steamboat that often (150 miles
from Denver...) I settle for a season pass I Copper (six years now.) This
is my favorite Front Range ski area.

1) Great, varied terrain
2) No crowds (except on a couple of lifts, that I rarely ski anyway...)
3) Wonderful easy terrain (I have been teaching my kids skiing lately...)
4) Challenging blacks
5) Nice bowls (where few go...)
6) Segregation of terrain by skills is nice (though not if you are skiing
with a rook and you want to just ride lifts together...
7) I know ever inch of this mountain.... as I have logged 100-150 days there
over the years....
8) Generally serious skiers rather than tourists ... larger % local crowd
than most of the other nearby areas

My favorite Colorado areas (overall Steamboat, Crested Butte, Copper,
Telluride, Beaver Creek, Aspen, Vail, Snowmass, A-Basin, Keystone,
Highlands, Breck

Old January 31st 04, 02:16 PM
leo

My favorite Colorado areas (overall Steamboat, Crested Butte, Copper,
Telluride, Beaver Creek, Aspen, Vail, Snowmass, A-Basin, Keystone,
Highlands, Breck

Thank you for taking time to help us with this trip. Thanks to everyone
that responded!

leo