Going to Whistler! Seeking Opinions/advice

Old January 11th 05, 09:41 PM
Bruce Chang

Default Going to Whistler! Seeking Opinions/advice

I'm going to whistler in early March! Woohoo!!

Just wondering if anyone has any opinions or advice as to which trails are
good and what to avoid.

I'm also looking for discount lift tickets online but it being mid season
there, even the local places that offer discounted lift tickets if you book
lodgings only offer a 5% discount (gee, thanks). Does anyone know of a
place that might have a more substantial discount? Just looking to save a
couple bucks here and there.

I hear that since Whistler is so much lower, that there isn't any altitude
acclimation problems, anyone able to confirm this?

Apparently we're staying at some ski in/ski out place right by the creekside
gondola for just $175/day. If we can get 9 people that's $20/night! So
cheap.

I'm excited.. Never been to whistler before.

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

Old January 11th 05, 09:57 PM
Mark.Andersen

I'm also looking for discount lift tickets online but it being mid

season
there, even the local places that offer discounted lift tickets if

you book
lodgings only offer a 5% discount (gee, thanks). Does anyone know of

place that might have a more substantial discount? Just looking to

save a
couple bucks here and there.

7-11 in Squamish has discount tickets for Whistler. Last year they
saved you $9/ticket. There are 2 7-11s in Squamish, and the one time I
tried stopping at the 2nd, they didn't have any tickets.
Squamish is about 2/3 of the way up 99 from Vancouver to Whistler.

Old January 11th 05, 10:26 PM
Mike Watson

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 22:41:38 GMT, "Bruce Chang"
wrote:

[...]

We got most of our tickets in vancouver at the westbeach store last
year. Plus bought 4 from the cheap ski.board board store nearby (cant
remember its name) for a big whacking discount(ok I think they were
freebies the owner couldnt use but hey saved me a few dollars).
Old January 11th 05, 10:32 PM
Mike Watson

wrote:

I'm going to whistler in early March! Woohoo!!

I'm off to lake louise here. Forogt to answer your other points.

I hear that since Whistler is so much lower, that there isn't any altitude
acclimation problems, anyone able to confirm this?

Yup, I'm used to feeling ill in high european resorts so whistler was
superb for me.

Apparently we're staying at some ski in/ski out place right by the creekside
gondola for just $175/day. If we can get 9 people that's $20/night! So
cheap.

Stayed in creekside too. It has a liqour store amongst other such
goodies(its next to the mxican restaurant).

Not sure about ski in/out. It was pretty slushy and heavy on the
lower runs so I always took transport back down.

Have fun, I really enjoyed it last year.
Old January 13th 05, 03:41 PM
Aegis

I went on my honeymoon last year, and had a great time. Whistler is
BIG, and so conditions at the top can be wildly different at the summit
than at the base. That said, I would say head for the top of the
mountain. Also, Blackcomb has a reputation for being a bit more gnarly
than Whistler. I also stayed at Creekside, in the First Tracks lodge -
15 steps to the gondola; we stepped over our balcony to get out of our
room! Now, I went in Late March - the 15th to the 21st - and there
were very foggy, cloudy conditions at the lower elevations. At one
point, it got a bit scary, actually. But when I went to the top, it was
crystal clear skies with deep powder. Also, that's where some of the
terrain parks are so if you are a park fiend like me you will love the
summit runs.

As far as the altitude, it is true - no altitude problems experienced
at all.

Have fun, and don't get lost! The place is Huge; last year two guys
were lost for 3 days while we were there, just trying to find their way
back down so stay on the trails if you don't have GPS/ a Guide.