Snowboard FAQ

Old December 4th 06, 07:49 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Switters

Default Snowboard FAQ

I've uploaded a new version that has stripped out a lot of the deadwood,
and 80s stuff. Take a look, let me know what you like and don't like.
Constructive criticism is much preferred over any other

- Dave.

http://www.vpas.org.uk/ - Snowboarding the worlds pow pow -
Securing your e-mail

The Snowboard FAQ lives here - http://www.vpas.fsnet.co.uk/rssFAQ
Old December 4th 06, 10:50 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard

Switters wrote:
I've uploaded a new version that has stripped out a lot of the deadwood,
and 80s stuff. Take a look, let me know what you like and don't like.
Constructive criticism is much preferred over any other

Nice job. I compared the revised material with the specific suggestions
I made in October, and it appears that everything on my checklist has
been addressed somehow. The FAQ also seems to be more general in terms
of timeframes now (fewer specific dates given), which is probably good
for the long run. The content won't need to be refreshed as often.

Just one idea: I realize that you don't want to include a long list of
URLs at the end, and that's probably wise. These days people can find
out almost anything on their own; a snowboarding newbie probably won't
be an Internet newbie. However, there are two really, really good Web
sites that I think it would be helpful to list explicitly:

www.boardreviews.com -- Thousands of reviews of snowboards by riders,
neatly organized by brand. You just can't get this kind of information
in most places.

http://snowboard.colonies.com -- Extremely rich snowboarding
"community" site. The forums there are the most active I've seen
anywhere on the Web. There's a thread for every snowboarding topic you
can think of.

Thanks,

Joe Ramirez

Old December 4th 06, 10:59 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Jürgen Schmadlak

Switters wrote:

I've uploaded a new version that has stripped out a lot of the deadwood,
and 80s stuff. Take a look, let me know what you like and don't like.
Constructive criticism is much preferred over any other

I know the language of this newsgroup is english. However, do you
see any problem if it translate the FAQ to german language? I can
host the german version on my website or send you the translation if
you want to host it on your website.

--
Satisfy your thirst for life!
NP: 13th Monkey - Tremor
Old December 4th 06, 11:06 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Neil Gendzwill

wrote:

www.boardreviews.com -- Thousands of reviews of snowboards by riders,
neatly organized by brand. You just can't get this kind of information
in most places.

Not as useful as it appears, once you figure out that most of the
reviews are posted by the people who have only owned that particular
snowboard. So you kind of have to ignore the positives.

http://snowboard.colonies.com -- Extremely rich snowboarding
"community" site.

There's a number of other forums just as good or better.

There's a thread for every snowboarding topic you
can think of.

Nothing for alpine or racing, not even sbx.

Neil
Old December 4th 06, 11:22 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard

Neil Gendzwill wrote:
wrote:

www.boardreviews.com -- Thousands of reviews of snowboards by riders,
neatly organized by brand. You just can't get this kind of information
in most places.

Not as useful as it appears, once you figure out that most of the
reviews are posted by the people who have only owned that particular
snowboard. So you kind of have to ignore the positives.

At least boardreviews.com doesn't suppress the negatives, unlike most
snowboarding magazines. Getting straight critical dope is the biggest
advantage of rider reviews.

http://snowboard.colonies.com -- Extremely rich snowboarding
"community" site.

There's a number of other forums just as good or better.

"Just as good" doesn't really matter, since the FAQ needs only one such
link (or none at all, depending on what Dave thinks). As to "better,"
e.g.?

There's a thread for every snowboarding topic you
can think of.

Nothing for alpine or racing, not even sbx.

There do not appear to be specific subforums dedicated to these topics,
but if you search for information on them, you'll find some. E.g.:
http://snowboard.colonies.com/forums/topic/8938/

Besides, the FAQ already includes the link to www.alpinecarving.com.
Seems to me that this topic, at least, is covered.

Joe Ramirez

Old December 5th 06, 03:27 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Neil Gendzwill

wrote:

At least boardreviews.com doesn't suppress the negatives, unlike most
snowboarding magazines. Getting straight critical dope is the biggest
advantage of rider reviews.

True. But I'm just saying I don't find it particularly useful as the
good info is lost in the noise of all the people pimping their one and
only ride.

There's a number of other forums just as good or better.

"Just as good" doesn't really matter, since the FAQ needs only one such
link (or none at all, depending on what Dave thinks). As to "better,"
e.g.?

For my taste, bomberonline trumps them all. But there's lots of people
online at tws or burton, and probably a bunch more I can't be bothered
to read.

There do not appear to be specific subforums dedicated to these topics,
but if you search for information on them, you'll find some. E.g.:
http://snowboard.colonies.com/forums/topic/8938/

That thread died a quick death with very little discussion.

Besides, the FAQ already includes the link to www.alpinecarving.com.
Seems to me that this topic, at least, is covered.

I was just making the point that your statement that you can find
threads on any topic you can think of is not true. So if you want to
point to that place as the one true forum, not so much. Best to either
make a list, or leave the links out entirely.

Neil
Old December 5th 06, 04:37 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard

Neil Gendzwill wrote:
wrote:

At least boardreviews.com doesn't suppress the negatives, unlike most
snowboarding magazines. Getting straight critical dope is the biggest
advantage of rider reviews.

True. But I'm just saying I don't find it particularly useful as the
good info is lost in the noise of all the people pimping their one and
only ride.

Fair enough. Of course, you already know a lot more than the newbies.

There's a number of other forums just as good or better.

"Just as good" doesn't really matter, since the FAQ needs only one such
link (or none at all, depending on what Dave thinks). As to "better,"
e.g.?

For my taste, bomberonline trumps them all.

Sure, but that's a highly specialized site. How many FAQ-reading
newbies are going to start out as hard-booting carvers? Plus, a carving
site is already listed.

But there's lots of people
online at tws or burton, and probably a bunch more I can't be bothered
to read.

Burton = manufacturer site; probably better to choose something that's
more neutral so the FAQ won't appear to be making endorsements. There's
no perfect choice; I think the site I suggested is probably as good as
any, which is all that's needed. But if another really good site were
used instead, that would be fine too.

There do not appear to be specific subforums dedicated to these topics,
but if you search for information on them, you'll find some. E.g.:
http://snowboard.colonies.com/forums/topic/8938/

That thread died a quick death with very little discussion.

Besides, the FAQ already includes the link to www.alpinecarving.com.
Seems to me that this topic, at least, is covered.

I was just making the point that your statement that you can find
threads on any topic you can think of is not true.

If you want to take my statement of praise literally, you are certainly
correct. But no forum anywhere can live up to that standard. I bet no
forum has a long and wonderfully detailed thread on my first board, a
Zuma Wave. Doesn't mean there're not great discussion places.

So if you want to
point to that place as the one true forum, not so much. Best to either
make a list, or leave the links out entirely.

Since there is no "one true forum," the issue IMO is whether it might
be helpful to a newbie for him or her to be guided directly to a site
that's reasonably easy to use, has a ton of information, and has
opportunities to ask more questions with the hope of getting prompt
there and nowhere else. (They should come here, too.) Making a long
list of sites so nothing gets left out is a pain, as I think Dave
points out. This is a case of the perfect's being the enemy of the
good: if we can't give newbies every discussion group link, we
shouldn't give them any?

OK, I've given my view of this now, and Dave can decide how to handle
it. The FAQ will survive either way.

Joe Ramirez

Old December 6th 06, 12:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Switters

On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 22:59:18 GMT, Jürgen Schmadlak
allegedly wrote:

I know the language of this newsgroup is english. However, do you
see any problem if it translate the FAQ to german language? I can
host the german version on my website or send you the translation if
you want to host it on your website.

I've been thinking about doing translations to other languages for a
while. I only know about 20 words in German, so would need help

There are a few more changes that I would like to make in the short term,
so it's not worth doing quite yet, but I'll contact you by email and send
the raw files from which I build the HTML.

Vielen Danke

- Dave.

http://www.vpas.org.uk/ - Snowboarding the worlds pow pow.
Donek Sasquatch 162, Prior Pow 181, Burton Canyon 162

The Snowboard FAQ lives here - http://www.vpas.fsnet.co.uk/rssFAQ/
Old December 6th 06, 12:25 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Switters

I've read the complete thread here, and acknowledge the points made by
both Joe and Neil.

www.boardreviews.com -- Thousands of reviews of snowboards by riders,
neatly organized by brand. You just can't get this kind of information
in most places.

This kind of stuff would be useful, if it was well balanced. Any rider
reviews are going to suffer from extremes. People saying how brilliant
their board is when it's the first one they've ever had, or slating a
board that broke on them on day 1 because of a manufacturing fault.

I started kitesurfing not that long ago and face a similar dilemma of
where do I get good information. Most of the forums suffer from people
pimping their stuff, so you end up not believing any of it. Demoing
isn't always an option, neither is blagging off of your mates. Plus,
something that was brilliant a couple of years ago isn't so hot now.

I'll check out the site, and go from there.

http://snowboard.colonies.com -- Extremely rich snowboarding
"community" site. The forums there are the most active I've seen
anywhere on the Web. There's a thread for every snowboarding topic you
can think of.

I won't be adding this one. The FAQ is for this newsgroup, so
advertising a forum just doesn't sit right - and even if a forum was to
be included, which one would it be? I've never even heard of this one,
yet there are others that I have heard of.