how much training ...

Old July 27th 06, 09:17 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Default how much training ...

Peter H. wrote:
I wonder how many people could train 50-hour weeks at any
intensity without developing some kind of muscular or skeletal
problems after a few months. Not many I think, though
maybe it's just an old man talking here. There seem to be quite
a few who attempt, and give up for the reason above,
even fairly leisurely cross-continent bike trips.

With proper build-up and good positioning, as long as the intensity is
kept for the most part low, I'll bet it would be a long time before
too many problems. 50 hours can also be divided up into different sized
chunks which give better time for recovery. Proper positioning is key.
I've been on group rides where I see riders shaking their hands (numb I
guess) or stretching their back or arms after only 20 minutes or so.
This indicates they clearly have poor position on the bike. I recently
completed a 19 hour bike ride with only a minimal amount of discomfort
in a wrist I broke once. Position makes a huge difference.

Skiing is worse because of weight-bearing, so I'm quite amazed at this
guy Alex Nilsson, who crossed Canada (quite a bit farther than U.S.)
last summer on rollerskis, averaging about 65 km/day for 95 days,
at the age of approximately 70!

And roller-skiing has vibration fatiuge you don't get on snow. That
cross-Canada feat is amazing!

Joseph

http://www.fitstep.com/ski-site/index.html

Best, Peter

Jan Gerrit Klok wrote:
...... While at 130bpm (150W) I could easily do 10 hours (1.5kWh)of
pedaling a day
(not every day please), doing 5 of them at 300W would wear me out. Actually,
I'd manage 2 maximum, I feeling good. 250W is more sustainable, but for 6
hours every day...please no! That's like being in the leading group of a TdF
stage all day long!

"WasGitchi" Make me wonder...
what his heart rate was during those 50 hour

Old July 27th 06, 07:38 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Peter H. wrote:
wrote:
With proper build-up and good positioning, as long as the intensity is
kept for the most part low, I'll bet it would be a long time before
too many problems. 50 hours can also be divided up into different sized
chunks which give better time for recovery. Proper positioning is key.
I've been on group rides where I see riders shaking their hands (numb I
guess) or stretching their back or arms after only 20 minutes or so.
This indicates they clearly have poor position on the bike. I recently
completed a 19 hour bike ride with only a minimal amount of discomfort
in a wrist I broke once. Position makes a huge difference.

I'm sure you're largely correct here---getting a maximal stem for my
long upper body--short legs seemed to do a lot for me, so I imagine
starting with a bike that really fits is essential for good position.
There is of course a difference between a single mammoth ride
of 19 hours, and doing half that every day for several months.
My experience is that proper warmup, enough stretching, and
varying the activity (or rest days) in that order are the best ways
to keep overuse injuries to a minimum. Keeping the intensity low
helps more on the fatigue side.

Indeed one long ride doesn't prove much. I was more thinking about how
it illustrates how a good position (or at least not a poor one!) can
help in th ecomfort department since 19 hours is an order of magnitude
different than the 20 minutes I see some people showing signs of
discomfort. Stretching is I'm sure an underestimated aid for getting
good results from large amounts of training, also for being able to do
so injury free.

Was the 19 hours the annual longest-day Trondheim-Oslo jaunt (June
21)?
Some guys on the train back from Lillehammer after my last Birken
5 years ago tried to convince me to come back in the summer for that.

Yes it was that "jaunt". It's big fun and recommended for all crazy
endurance athlete/hobbyists like us! Come join the fun! It was way more
fun than last year's Birkebeiner. I remember seeing some poor Canadians
and thought to myself, poor guys travelled all the way here for THIS?
The bike ride Birkebeiner is in a few weeks, so I'd better dust off the
MTB soon...

Joseph

Old August 4th 06, 12:01 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

32 degrees wrote:
Kind of OFF TOPIC, but kinda on topic... Just read ( see below ) that FLoyd Landis was training up to 50 hours/week riding in his early formative years.
Is this what it takes to get to the top?? wow, thats huge hours.

Come on! No one has jumped on this one yet...

Okay, it takes a brass set of ba11S WITH LOTS AND LOTS OF TESTOSTERONE!

J Tegeder
"Keep training, lycra never lies!" JT