Alaska August camp -- anyone been there?

Old June 13th 05, 09:04 PM
Derick Fay

Default Alaska August camp -- anyone been there?

I am thinking of going to this camp on Eagle Glacier near Anchorage in
August:

http://www.fasterskier.com/training2339.html

Has anyone been to it or heard about experiences?

I've been planning to be in southern Alaska in early August anyway
(taking the ferry up the coast with a friend who is en route to her
research site) and this looks like a great opp. to get some skiing in
while I'm up there...

Old June 13th 05, 10:52 PM
Jim

I am director of the APUNSC program that is offering the camp. We just
came down from the Thomas Training Center on Eagle Glacier on Saturday
afternoon. We were up at the facility for five days and had new snow,
with some white out conditions virtually ever day. That is life on a
glacier...but in spite of the snow and occasional white out conditions
the skiing was exceptional.

In August one can expect similar conditions, perhaps half the days
being over cast or mixed rain and snow and the other hald nice and
sunny. In spite of the weather the skiing is generally very good by any
summer skiing standards.

Two years ago we completed a half million dollar refurbishment of the
facility. I think you will find the facility comfortable and enjoyable
for some quality summer on snow skiing.

Jim

Old June 21st 05, 09:39 PM
Tim Kelley

Jim,

You might post a link to pictures of skiing at Eagle Glacier. I'll
vouch for the fact that when the weather is good there ... you won't
want to be anywhere else. It's an amazing facility in an awesome
environment.

My hat is off to APU for keeping the price very reasonable for this
camp. $720 for six days of lodging, food, ski coaching, track setting
and a helicopter ride. Try staying in a hotel or B&B and eat in
Anchorage in the summer for that amount per day.

Tim

Old June 23rd 05, 12:28 AM
jon

Check out the following link for Additional info on the APUNSC Thomas
Training Center on Eagle Glacier:

http://nordic.alaskapacific.edu/ and click on Thomas Training Center

Old June 23rd 05, 05:05 AM

that actually IS is an amazing deal.

Old June 23rd 05, 06:31 PM
Tim Kelley

With the new Google maps - you can get a satellite view of Girdwood,
Alaska and the Eagle Glacier to the north. See:

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=61.01...&z=5&t=k&hl=en

You can click on the map and pan it any direction. And the control on
the left side allows you to zoom in and out.

The actual location of the Thomas Training Center on Eagle Glacier is
depicted by the red cross on this map:

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=6&...3&layer=DRG250

TK