Thirty Two boots? opinions?

Old November 12th 04, 06:42 PM
GB

Default Thirty Two boots? opinions?

Hi,

I was at the local boardshop and the salesman kept pimping the Thirty Two
boots.

I like the fact that they're heat moldable, but can't find much information
on user's experiences with them.

Does anyone use these and could give an opinion?
75% freeride, 25% freestyle is my riding.

Thanks!
guy

Old November 12th 04, 06:55 PM
lonerider

Hey Guy, I just got a pair of ThirtyTwo Forecasts and I like them a
lot. Previously I've been riding with Salomon Dialogue and Synapse
boots (Nitro Meijis before that). Salomon makes a pretty good boot, but
their liners break down and pack out really quickly - also while they
are narrower in general, they have a very roomy toebox, which was bad
for me. The 32's are better for someone with an all-around narrow foot
like me... but I think with the properly "toecaps" and molding they
were shape to a wider foot.

I've ridden the 32's for two days without molding and they are a very
nice solid boot... lightweight, stiff (the Forecast is the stiffest
model with a plastic brace built into the tongue), and has a nice
internal liner strap. I just got them molded (partially why I bought
the boot) and I expect the boots to be even better. The liner is made
by Intuition, which sells or licensed heat-moldable liners for alpine
snowboard boots (of which pretty much every alpine snowboarder raves
about). Those types are liners are supposedly very warm and are very
resistant to packing out so I am very optimistic about the life of my
liners (with the Salomon, they were start getting loose 7-8 days into
the season... by 15-20 days into a season my feet would kill and I
would end up trading the boots into REI to get a new pair... that
happened for 2.5 seasons in a row). If you like freeriding, go with
the Forecast... it is nice and stiff, but not super-stiff (at least for
me I still liked it in the park, but I like stiff boots). The Team-Two
is good for a more freestyle boot, but I think you could survive with
it. The Lashed and Prion are just way too soft for any type of riding
in my opinion.

ThirtyTwo boots are a small company that makes nice boots... if you go
to groups.google.com you can search this newsgroup and read Dmitri's
opinions on his 32 Team-Ones (also favorable compared to Salomon).

Old November 12th 04, 08:57 PM
Waco Paco

GB wrote:
Hi,

I was at the local boardshop and the salesman kept pimping the Thirty Two
boots.

I like the fact that they're heat moldable, but can't find much information
on user's experiences with them.

Does anyone use these and could give an opinion?
75% freeride, 25% freestyle is my riding.

Thanks!
guy

I just got a pair of last year's TM-One's but have yet to try them
out... They are by far one of the lighter snowboard boots on the market.
At the time of purchase, I tried on a pair of Northwave Legends and
Atomic BOA's, nothing came close to the way these fitted my feet. Also
heal lift seems to be minimal. The look wicked too.

The TM-Ones seem to be fairly stiff too. After I've tried them out on
the slopes I'll give you a report.

-stu
Old November 12th 04, 09:58 PM
Dmitry

"GB" wrote

I was at the local boardshop and the salesman kept pimping the Thirty Two
boots.

I like the fact that they're heat moldable, but can't find much information
on user's experiences with them.

Does anyone use these and could give an opinion?
75% freeride, 25% freestyle is my riding.

Don't forget you can't dry them out with anything that heats
up significantly. Other than that they're the best thing
since sliced bread

Old November 12th 04, 10:00 PM
Dmitry

"Waco Paco" wrote

I just got a pair of last year's TM-One's but have yet to try them out... They are by far one of the lighter snowboard boots on
the market. At the time of purchase, I tried on a pair of Northwave Legends and Atomic BOA's, nothing came close to the way these
fitted my feet. Also heal lift seems to be minimal. The look wicked too.

The TM-Ones seem to be fairly stiff too. After I've tried them out on the slopes I'll give you a report.

Hehe, I need to go get some commission from them for getting
people in good boots

Old November 12th 04, 10:41 PM
Robbie

I have the Team Twos. I love them. Stiff enough for freeriding
comfortably and free enough to whip around in the park. I enjoy the
moldable liners. I have a narrow heel and wide foot and the boots fit
great after heating. I had a pair of '01Team 2's and the air cushion
blew out. Sole Tech replaced them with a current year model at no
cost. Great service and good people.

Old November 14th 04, 10:55 PM
Jay

"GB" wrote in message

Hi,

I was at the local boardshop and the salesman kept pimping the Thirty Two
boots.

I like the fact that they're heat moldable, but can't find much
information
on user's experiences with them.

Does anyone use these and could give an opinion?
75% freeride, 25% freestyle is my riding.

Thanks!
guy

I've got the 32 prions and they're excellent.Don't like the name much (this
is the stuff that causes BSE right? :-)

The shop overdid it a bit with the heat moulding thing which caused me a bit
of bother to start with but it soon sorted itself out. Basically the liner
is just a lump of foam so it should fit your feet pretty well whatever shape
they are. I had Salomon dialogues before and they were ok until the liners
broke down and it caused me hell. Most other boots I've tried are useless
because of heel lift.

Actually the Prions are sort of entry level but I know of at least one pro
that uses them. They're medium flex (for my weight at least) so if you're
into mostly freeride you might want something stiffer.

Jay.

Old November 15th 04, 08:45 PM
Jason Watkins

My GF has a pair. She loved them, up until she started complaining
about them getting rather wet inside. I couldn't figure out what was
causing the problem, so she got some new boots she likes now instead.
I suspect it was just snow getting packed into them.

Also, the liners mold great... far more than the normal 'thermo fit'
liners you find in the larger names. The stuff in the intuition liners
expands consideribly. But each time you heat them, the expansion is
less. My guess is you can get 4 good moldings out of them, and maybe a
couple more so-so ones.

Overall, I'm pretty impressed. I suspect I'd be using them right now,
if I hadn't made a switch to hardboots instead.
Old November 15th 04, 10:14 PM
GB

Overwhelming positive opinions! That's cool. I guess the sales guy wasn't
blowing smoke.

I'll go try on a pair and give them a much closer look now.

NorthEast update:
Killington has 15 trails open already!!!! Might hit it this weekend just
for a fix.

why hardboots? Dmitry Snowboarding 97 March 23rd 04 02:47 PM
Any recent Demos of note to report? Gene Goldenfeld Nordic Skiing 14 March 13th 04 05:42 PM
Rossi Power 90 boots - any opinions Flyfire Alpine Skiing 0 January 15th 04 01:49 PM
Salomon 9 vs Carbon Griss Nordic Skiing 9 January 6th 04 04:25 PM
Who rides Thirty Two boots? b c Snowboarding 2 November 11th 03 01:25 PM