Good food in SLC ?

Old February 19th 04, 08:40 PM
Walt

Default Good food in SLC ?

I'm gearing up for my annual pilgrimage to SLC, but this time I'm
traveling with a couple of foodies who'll be looking for better than
merely adequate food at dinner time. The last couple of times I went by
myself or with the non-food fixated, so I just hit whatever was
convenient near the hotel before falling into bed. This time I need to
do a bit better.

So, recommendations anyone? We'll be staying in the Sandy/Midvale area
(a conscious decision to save money on accommodations so we can blow it
on food). Not opposed to driving to the downtown area if that's what it
takes. Probably don't want to drive back up the Canyon or over to Park
City, but will if it's worth the trip. Looking for quality food, not
necessarily pretentious atmosphere or obsequious service. Willing to
spend a few $$$ if warranted, but the object is to get good food, not
just spend money. Wine or (real) beer with dinner is a must.

A related question: usually when we travel we try to eat the cuisine
that the area's known for; French-style in Quebec, Pacific Rim in
Whistler, Southwestern in Santa Fe, etc. What's SLC known for? Any
local delicacies that they do particularly well there that we shouldn't
miss? Any styles that should be avoided?

--
//-Walt
//
Old February 19th 04, 09:18 PM
Richard Henry

"Walt" wrote in message

A related question: usually when we travel we try to eat the cuisine
that the area's known for; French-style in Quebec, Pacific Rim in
Whistler, Southwestern in Santa Fe, etc. What's SLC known for?

The beer. Ask Pigo.

Of course, the beer's better at Vail. Vail is always better. You should go
to Vail.

Old February 19th 04, 10:33 PM
SkiFastBadly

There's a great restaurant in the Hotel Monaco at 2nd South and Main
called Bomera...American style food, they have this great home made
potato chip with melted Maytag Blue cheese as an appetizer.

L'Avenue Bistro is french style, it's good. It's on 2100 South just
east of 1300 East.

Lemon Grass is good Thai food, that's on 2nd South, about five blocks
east of Main, I think.

If you want to see what a Utard thinks is "Fancy Schmancy" check out
L'Chiam (that's not the rigth spelling) it's kind of an upper tier hooters.

Market Street Broiler on 1300 East and about 3rd south is pretty good
seafood, if you're looking for that.

Something unique to utah, in my experience, is the "Brazilian Grille"
concept. It's an all you can eat salad bar, and then these guys run
around with all kinds of meat on sticks serving it. Since it's 'all you
can eat' Utards love it. If you've never tried it, it's worth doing
once. There's on in Trolley square which is 700 East and, i don't know,
about 8th south.

If you want to take a drive, I highly recommend the Snake Creek Grille
in Heber, and Pasillas in Kamas. Of course, since you don't know me,
the phrase "I highly recommend" is meaningless to you, so on the other
hand, don't bother.

I wouldn't go south. To my knowledge there is no real food south of Sandy.

Old February 19th 04, 11:07 PM
vern93

In article ,
SkiFastBadly wrote:

Lemon Grass is good Thai food, that's on 2nd South, about five blocks
east of Main, I think.

Hey what's the name of the great Thai place that on the 2nd floor of a
strip mall, the same place where the Red Butt is? That place is (was?)
great.

If you want to see what a Utard thinks is "Fancy Schmancy" check out
L'Chiam (that's not the rigth spelling) it's kind of an upper tier hooters.

What do you mean by this? Expensive wings with really hot waitresses?
(seriously, I'm curious.) Speaking of Hooters, did anyone see the
"Raisians" episode of South Park?

Something unique to utah, in my experience, is the "Brazilian Grille"
concept. It's an all you can eat salad bar, and then these guys run
around with all kinds of meat on sticks serving it. Since it's 'all you
can eat' Utards love it. If you've never tried it, it's worth doing
once.

A mildly dissenting opinion, but I'm not really sure if that *is* worth
doing once. At least the night I went, it was really mediocre.

A uniquely SLC, must eat place, for Pizza, is the "The Pie" Is it the
greatest pizza in the world? No. But it's really good, college type
crowd, local place. After a day on the mountain, sometimes the "The
Pie" is all I can think about.

Dave
Old February 20th 04, 12:24 AM
The Real Bev

SkiFastBadly wrote:

[...]

There's a nice Denny's in St. George.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old February 20th 04, 12:27 AM
scottabe

El Chubasco in Park City. Best part about it is that there is absolutely no
chance of running into any rsa assholes there.

Old February 20th 04, 12:58 AM
SkiFastBadly

scottabe wrote:
El Chubasco in Park City. Best part about it is that there is absolutely no
chance of running into any rsa assholes there.

Well the problem with that statement is that I eat there once in awhile,
and in the past you've referred to me as an ras asshole. Cognitive
dissonance sets in...