Canada this winter... where to?

Old July 11th 03, 03:12 AM
Serena

Default Canada this winter... where to?

Hi, I'm planning a trip to Canada this winter, probably in January,
for 2 to 3 weeks, and probably can't stay until February. This will be
my second season, I learned to board at packed powder/hard pack
condition of Hunter Mountain, NY State (my arse's still sore), and I
managed to get out of beginner's area by the end of the season (barely
though).

Any good mountain recommendations in BC/Alberta, with snow that is
more forgiving to my snowboarding abilities? I'm thinking of Fernie,
Sunshine, and Lake Louise.

Thanks

Serena
Old July 12th 03, 10:14 PM
TomTom

Hmm.. for forgiving snow there's no place like Utah, that's some of the
lightest powder. I went to Whistler in Jan. Don't get me wrong, it was a
great trip, but I wasn't impressed.

"Serena" wrote in message
m...
Hi, I'm planning a trip to Canada this winter, probably in January,
for 2 to 3 weeks, and probably can't stay until February. This will be
my second season, I learned to board at packed powder/hard pack
condition of Hunter Mountain, NY State (my arse's still sore), and I
managed to get out of beginner's area by the end of the season (barely
though).

Any good mountain recommendations in BC/Alberta, with snow that is
more forgiving to my snowboarding abilities? I'm thinking of Fernie,
Sunshine, and Lake Louise.

Thanks

Serena

---

Old July 14th 03, 04:10 AM
Gary Griffis

If your going into Calgary i strongly reccomend taking the drive out to
Golden BC, its only about an hour drive from lake louise. Its a small
mountain town that has a huge mountain and isnt to touristy (but dont worry
they still have fresh meat mondays at the local bar, new stripper every
week). I lived in Jasper AB and rode at both sunshine and lake louise and
i'd take kickinghorse (Golden) any day of the week, plus its not that far
out of the way that u can hit more than one hill.

Old September 27th 04, 08:22 PM
Waco Paco

Gary Griffis wrote:
If your going into Calgary i strongly reccomend taking the drive out to
Golden BC, its only about an hour drive from lake louise. Its a small
mountain town that has a huge mountain and isnt to touristy (but dont worry
they still have fresh meat mondays at the local bar, new stripper every
week). I lived in Jasper AB and rode at both sunshine and lake louise and
i'd take kickinghorse (Golden) any day of the week, plus its not that far
out of the way that u can hit more than one hill.

I was in Kicking Horse last season and oh my what a great mountain.
Although for a boarder with limited experience, Kicking Horse, I dare
say, is a little too advanced for you. It is nothing like anything on
the east coast and it is one of the more challenging mountains I've been
to. I was ripping down Lake Louise just fine on pretty much all of the
runs, but I'd have to say Kicking Horse kicked my ass. For a boarder in
his second season, I'd recommend Lake Louise or even the mountains in
Vancouver.

STu
Old September 27th 04, 09:07 PM
Neil Gendzwill

Waco Paco wrote:
I was ripping down Lake Louise just fine on pretty much all of the
runs, but I'd have to say Kicking Horse kicked my ass.

Kicking Horse is a tough hill. They've got one lift that services
beginner runs, and everything else is pretty tough sledding for a
beginner. The main lift is a gondola that runs nearly the entire
vertical. If you come down the front, it's cat-track city for beginners
until about half-way down where there are one or two steepish blue runs.
If you go the back way, there's pretty much only one run that's
doable. I'd say a beginner/intermediate would be happy there for a
weekend, but there's not enough for a week. But if you're a strong
rider, confident in steeps and in bumps, it's a fun, fun hill. Just be
aware that much of what they label black would be double-diamond on
other hills.

Another good thing about KH is that it is uncrowded and the weather is
supposedly usually good - at least, it was while I was there and Ski
Canada gave it "best weather" in their "best of Canada" feature.

Neil

Old September 27th 04, 10:57 PM
Mike T

Just be aware that much of what they label black would be double-diamond
on other hills.

I gotta come up and visit. It would be a nice change from Mt Hood where
the only real steeps are way too short.

Old September 28th 04, 06:24 PM
tg

I am going to try Red Mountain Resort this year. A couple of hours north of
Spokane. I haven't been there before, but I received some great reviews as
far as terrain, snow, cost, and lack of crowds. Anyone with first hand
experience of it?

Old September 28th 04, 07:04 PM
Neil Gendzwill

tg wrote:
I am going to try Red Mountain Resort this year. A couple of hours north of
Spokane. I haven't been there before, but I received some great reviews as
far as terrain, snow, cost, and lack of crowds. Anyone with first hand
experience of it?

It's on my "to-do" list for sure. The in-bounds terrain is supposed to
be insane, especially in the trees. Another expert's mountain by all
accounts.

Neil

Old September 29th 04, 07:59 AM
Switters

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 18:24:14 GMT, "tg"
allegedly wrote:

Anyone with first hand experience of it?

waves

It is a great place, and some of the runs are pretty steep. It can get
crowded though, and you may find yourself waiting 20 minutes at the bottom
of the motherlode chair. On a powder day, you better get up very early if
you want fresh tracks.

Some of the trees are tightly packed, and when the slopes is 35 degrees
and more it can get interesting. Add some low level cloud cover and some
cliffs in amongst the trees, it can get dangerous. Take a buddy,
especially down runs like Powder Fields, and in the trees on the Slides.

If you head up that way, you should try out White Water as well. Has even
less lifts and less terrain, but it's got a nice vibe from it. Visit
Nelson as well, if you need a break from riding. Great place.

- Dave.

http://www.vpas.org/ - Snowboarding the worlds pow pow -
Securing your e-mail

The Snowboard FAQ lives here - http://rssFAQ.org/
Old September 29th 04, 09:28 AM
Steve

Neil Gendzwill wrote in message ...
tg wrote:
I am going to try Red Mountain Resort this year. A couple of hours north of
Spokane. I haven't been there before, but I received some great reviews as
far as terrain, snow, cost, and lack of crowds. Anyone with first hand
experience of it?

It's on my "to-do" list for sure. The in-bounds terrain is supposed to
be insane, especially in the trees. Another expert's mountain by all
accounts.

Neil

Im going over to Canada as well in January for a month. Ive booked a
holiday in Fernie for 10 days and then after that ive got nearly 20
days to go other places. Im looking forward to Fernie and then
possibly Banff. Is it worth going to Whistler, or is it just hype?

Which other resorts are worth visiting?

Cheers
Steve

Canada Heliski nico General 1 December 5th 03 05:56 AM
Early Winter in Colorado Steve Dufour General 9 September 15th 03 03:11 PM