Any metric where US skiers are "up there"?

Old March 22nd 05, 06:51 AM

I'm wondering if there are any metrics by which US skiers rank up at
the top or at it. You know, like in fitness tests of any type

(sit-ups,
push-ups, dips, broad jump), in VO2-Max, and in any other sports that
skiers tend to do, like running, cycling, inline, heck even
rollerskiing.

Well, perhaps at least something to compare with. A Swedish talbloid
used VO2-Max divided by body weight as metric for comparig skiiers and
listed it for some skiers:

Bj=F6rn D=E4hlie 92
Gunde Svan 90
Per Elofsson 90

Torgny Mogren 85
Anders S=F6dergren 85
Matias Fredriksson approx 85

They also mentioned two "odd cases" which shows that this metric (of
course) is not the only thing deciding how good skiier you can be and
that also a heavy skiier can make it to the very top:

Sven-=C5ke Lundb=E4ck: 93
The highest value of a Swedish national team skiier ever, partly due to
low body weight.

Juha Mieto 76-78 ("hevavy skiier with fantastic VO2-Max")

Moreover, it has been much debating in Swedish media lately about why
Sweden currently have so few skiiers in the absolute top, and Anders
S=F6dergren said that he and Mattias Fredriksson are the only Swedish
skiers who trains 800 h/year and according to him, that's how much
training you need to be able to fight for the medals. Important also
of course that every one of these hours is hi-quality training. Per
Elofsson trained 830 h/year when he peaked. I remember a Swedish
newspaper asking him during the peak training part of the year how much
those 830 h/year meant in km/day and when Per started writing down that
days training, it added up to 90 km/day, 5 days/week. (They train much
less during the world cup part of the year, of course.)

(I'm no expert in this matters myself so the above is just what I've
read in newspapers.)

Old March 22nd 05, 05:29 PM
Terje Mathisen

Gene Goldenfeld wrote:

Those figures look like their reported V02 maxs, so I'm wondering if V02
max is the ratio of the test figure divided by weight in kg. Someone
here should know. The Swedes just fired their coach (see
fasterskier.com).

Here in Norway (and Scandinavia?) it is indeed reported as maximum
volume O2 per kg body weight, anything above 80 is world class xc skier
area.

I think I've reported previously here that Bjørn Dæhlie supposedly got
up to 95 during summer training.

Terje

PS. Check out the numbers for the dogs that just ran the Iditarod: Less
than 60 pounds weight (i.e. around 25 kg), and up to 15.000 kcal
food/day. Either they have a much less efficient digestive system, or
they must have something like 3 times higher energy output than human
muscle tissue?

--
-
Old March 22nd 05, 06:05 PM
Rob Bradlee

--- Terje Mathisen wrote:

PS. Check out the numbers for the dogs that just ran the Iditarod:
Less
than 60 pounds weight (i.e. around 25 kg), and up to 15.000 kcal
food/day. Either they have a much less efficient digestive system, or

they must have something like 3 times higher energy output than human

muscle tissue?

I went to a talk by an exercise physiologist - he said pronghorn
antelopes have a VOmax of 400! So quite likely that dogs have us beat.
But half of them are bitches...

Rob Bradlee