Prior MFR: Initial Impressions

Old January 6th 05, 11:59 PM
lonerider

Mike T wrote:
But all that said, it's definately more work, so something that

feels
more burton, or something out of donek's more freeride/freestyle
oriented new lines might be a better choice.

Sure - depending on what you are looking for.

I would reiterate that I do not think the Incline/Wide/Sasquatch will

"kick
a new rider's butt" so much as they will coerce a new rider into

developing
"crisp" technique. I wish I had gotten on one much earlier in my
snowboarding life. However hindsight is 20/20, I would have

concentrated on
technique earlier as well too if I could do it over again... and not

on
running the steepest slopes that I could!

Yea, I don't think the Donek Freeride boards will destroy beginners...
but at the same time I wouldn't automatically recommend it for them. As
Jason suggested, I would think the Phoenix would be better for a
beginner. For me, I like the crisp handling of the Donek... but I again
stress the differentiation between crisp handling of the board and
crisp technique. If you have crisp technique, you will look good even
on a more sluggish board. Again my worry is that the Doneks might
somehow cover up for some technique inadequacies... but I don't have
any hard proof. I might be just still used to the old school idea of
slowing moving up in board quality as your personal ability level
develops as well.

--Arvin

Old January 7th 05, 12:13 AM
Mike T

Yea, I don't think the Donek Freeride boards will destroy beginners...
but at the same time I wouldn't automatically recommend it for them. As
Jason suggested, I would think the Phoenix would be better for a
beginner. For me, I like the crisp handling of the Donek... but I again
stress the differentiation between crisp handling of the board and
crisp technique. If you have crisp technique, you will look good even
on a more sluggish board. Again my worry is that the Doneks might
somehow cover up for some technique inadequacies... but I don't have
any hard proof. I might be just still used to the old school idea of
slowing moving up in board quality as your personal ability level
develops as well.

Hey, what's wrong with a board that is tolerant of technical errors? If it
makes you feel like a superhero, then great! I don't buy into that "old
school approach". I say, get a board that behaves well and offers enough
stability so you can be comfortable working on your technique.

I know my alpine technique has progressed more on boards such as Coilers
that are tolerant of mistakes than it has on boards such as the Donek
Freecarve which is IMHO quite punishing of mistakes. Coilers are often
called "cheater boards" because their riders often look and feel better than
they are! In my case I work things out on a "cheater board" and then try it
on an "I won't lie to you" board to make sure I really have it. Works
beautifully!

Mike T

Old January 7th 05, 12:13 AM
lonerider

Mike T wrote:
It is true that having better edgehold will give you more

confidence
and allow beginner to work on other technique issues... but that

just
kind of delays the lesson in edge pressure on variable snow

condition.
Maybe it's just an unfounded worry.

I dunno, you're still going to have to learn how to feather edge

pressure on
variable snow. Even longer GS boards which have legendary edge hold

don't
negate that issue!

Yea that exactly is my point... even with a board with great edgehold,
you still need to learn how how to deal with variable snow
conditions... and I know of a few riders here in Tahoe that ride long
GS boards as a crutch to cover for their technique issues. They are so
used to the "board" handling things for them that they are helpless
when the conditions require additional user input. I keep hearing
gripes about the snow during the spring, when it isn't that bad at all
- nearly all of them talk about getting custom boards instead of just
learning how to ride the death cookie / slush mixture.

OK, centered on the midpoint of the total board length, rather than

centered
about the waist... never tried that on my Wide. I never move my

bindings on
that thing, always at 19.25" centered on the inserts which I believe

is also
centered about the waist, or narrowest part of the board...

Mike T

19.25"? How tall are you again? I have 20" on my stance... perhaps I
should shorten my stance a big (Sean's method has me at 18.5" both via
tibia measurement and .6*inseam measurement). I do have 1*/1* and 1*/2*
on tilt/cant on my bindings though.

Old January 7th 05, 12:53 AM
lonerider

Mike T wrote:
[...]

One could describe a super soft, flexy board as being "tolerant of
technical errors" and that's my point... that what ever board your
ride, there is no magical way to become a better rider. Of course if
you buy a cheap "beginner" board you are going to have problems... but
in my opinion, almost any higher end stiff freeride board "behaves well
and offers enough stability" so you can work on your technique.

I know my alpine technique has progressed more on boards such as

Coilers
that are tolerant of mistakes than it has on boards such as the Donek

Freecarve which is IMHO quite punishing of mistakes. Coilers are

often
called "cheater boards" because their riders often look and feel

better than
they are! In my case I work things out on a "cheater board" and then

try it
on an "I won't lie to you" board to make sure I really have it.

Works
beautifully!

I have no doubt that Coilers and to a lesser degree Donek inspire a lot
of confidence... which is crucial to getting better at snowboarding. I
just am hesistant to put so much emphasis on improving through
purchasing gear instead of just practicing more - most people go less
than 8 days a season and never get any type of lessons. Your situation
is unique because you already go well over 30 days a season AND you get
professional lessons.

Old January 7th 05, 02:51 AM
Brian

"lonerider" wrote in message
ups.com...

Apparently Prior are demo'ing boards at Kirkwood on the 29th and I hope to

try out some
boards.

Let us know what you think!! I might show up at Kirkwood that day too, just
to see what the AMF or Khyber is like!

Brian.

Old January 7th 05, 04:14 PM
Mike T

19.25"? How tall are you again? I have 20" on my stance... perhaps I
should shorten my stance a big (Sean's method has me at 18.5" both via
tibia measurement and .6*inseam measurement). I do have 1*/1* and 1*/2*
on tilt/cant on my bindings though.

5'10".

Actually that 19.25" is my softie stance. It's closer to 20" on plates.