XC in Scandinavia in April

Old February 28th 06, 05:03 PM

Default XC in Scandinavia in April

I=B4m looking for a place to go skiing in Scandinavia. Time is about MID
APRIL.

Does anyone have recommendations? I think it=B4s too late for
Oslo/Lillehammer?

I would like to do more skating than classic. Good connection to
airport Oslo or Stockholm would be fine.
Any hints? thank you!
Bernd

Old February 28th 06, 05:21 PM

I have just the perfect thing for you:
The worlds second largets XC ski race, April 22nd at Finse/Geilo!
Arrangers set up trains from both Oslo and Bergen.
Many years 14000 participants, 38km freestyle, plenty of snow, many
from Norways national XC and biathlon team race it.

http://www.turrennklubben.no/tur_skarverennet_2005.html
http://geiloil.no/comweb.asp?segment=3&ID=23

Accomodation he
http://www.geilo.no/render_vinter_en...ent=7&session=
Train he
http://www.nsb.no/

Old March 3rd 06, 12:34 AM

Wish I could go...........

Old March 6th 06, 08:37 PM

Alex wrote:
Bernd

April would normally be too late for reliable snow in Oslomarka.

Normally, yes. This year? I won't be surprised if we still have set
tracks some places in early May.

We are currently within grasping distance of the Oslo snow records, and
we had some more today.

I think the mountain resorts north of Oslo normally have snow until
late April. They are mostly at around 800m which helps. There is an

Late April means end of Easter during years when Easter is late, and all
serious mountain resorts have dependable snow at that time.

I know Sjujøen well, which AFAIK, is the most southerly of these. It
can be reached from Lillehammer station. It has 300k plus prepared
tracks. Many are prepared for skating. The latest I have been there is
the third week in April. There was heaps of snow and more fell while
we were there. However, the daytime temperature reached plus 15 C
some days. I wasn't trying to skate, and I don't know whether it would
be good in such conditions.

This is a time of year when conditions are quite variable, but having
+15C is still quite remarkable! :-)

Other possibilities are Beitostølen, near Trondheim, and Østersund,

Trondheim is at sea level, so don't bet on it!

OTOH, I've seen great skiing there in late June, so conditions obviously
vary a lot from year to year! (I was born there, and later lived there
for 8 years getting my degree and first job.)

Terje
--
-
Old March 7th 06, 02:47 PM

Terje Mathisen wrote:
Alex wrote:

Other possibilities are Beitostølen, near Trondheim, and Østersund,

Trondheim is at sea level, so don't bet on it!

Bymarka in Trondheim is several hundred meters above sea level, depending on
where you start.

--
Terje Henriksen
Kirkenes

Old March 7th 06, 09:57 PM

Terje Henriksen wrote:
Terje Mathisen wrote:
Alex wrote:

Other possibilities are Beitostølen, near Trondheim, and Østersund,

Trondheim is at sea level, so don't bet on it!

Bymarka in Trondheim is several hundred meters above sea level, depending on
where you start.

Sure. I was born there, and later lived there 8 years getting my MSc and
first job.

'Når skaren bærer en fullvoksen mann på St. Hans, så blir det sen vår!'

'When the crust can carry a fullgrown man at Midsummer, then you know
it'll be a late Spring'.

I think Bymarka (at Vintervannsmyra) had nearly two meters of snow cover
in June 1977.

Terje

--
-