Warning-Mont Tremblant, Quebec

Old February 8th 04, 02:56 AM
Don Bartlett

Default Warning-Mont Tremblant, Quebec

I would like to warn skiiers about the hazard of vehicle theft at
Mont Tremblant and the unconcern of the Intrawest management.

While at a three-day skiing convention at Mont. Tremblant in early
December, my late model truck was stolen from the parking lot at the
base of the mountain .The lost contents included my ski equipment and
other personal items. About 6.30pm after a day skiing, I locked my
equipment in the truck, showered and changed clothes in the chalet.
On returning to the hill for the convention banquet, about 9.00pm, my
truck was gone.

After calling the very understanding St. Jovite police department and
filing my report, I brought the problem to the attention of the ski
hill management. They basically treated the theft of the vehicle on
their property as trivial and brushed me off.

The next day I returned to the police station to add items to the list
of stolen property. An officer told me that they have a serious
problem at the parking area at the base of the mountain with vehicle
theft. On any given day, there can be variety of high priced vehicles
in the lot, a virtual car thieves buffet.

The Friday of my paid convention was a write-off due to no ski
equipment and the shock of the loss. On returning to Ottawa, I wrote
Intrawest Corporation , explaining what had happened and informed them
of the coments of the police, to the effect that they have brought
the problem to the attention of the hills management to no avail. You
would think that a company of their so-called reputation would be
looking to improve the customer experience. Not so, they said that
they are unaware of any problem and that they are sorry that I was
misinformed. While they were "sorry" that I missed my Saturday
skiing, they did not even offer me a complimentary ticket. Since the
theft in early December, I have met two other people that know of
vehicles being stolen at the hill.

I understand that theft is difficult to curb, but when a problem is
totally ignored it is another thing. We would all be shocked to know
how many pairs of skies are stolen every day due to the lack of lock
up facilities provided by the hill.

With the cost of ski equipment, clothing, travel, lift passes and
taxes, skiing is an expensive sport. We accept this for the love of
the sport. But when those profiting from our visits to their
facilities make no effort to minimize the theft hazards, the cost
becomes intolerable.

Len Bartlett Ottawa, Ont
Old February 12th 04, 01:55 PM
Don Bartlett

In addition to the theft hazard at Mont Tremblant, one must factor in
the high taxes which are charged the

Federal Goods & Services 7 %
Quebec Provincial Tax 7.5 % (On G/S and GST)
Intrawest adds their own tax of 2 % Collected everywhere at
Tremblant

Therefore each dollar of lodging, food, beverage, lift, lodging etc.
works out to more than $1.17 total cost.

Old February 14th 04, 03:44 PM
GT

Seems to me that car-theft is a police responsibility, not that of
Intrawest. If my car was parked in your driveway and it was stolen should I
blame you? However, I do agree that it would have been appropriate for them
to issue you a complimentary ticket or some similar gesture.

Also, Mont Tremblant does have plenty of ski racks that support the
near-universal ski-lock. They are no better, or worse, than most resorts in
this respect.

-GT
m...

Old February 14th 04, 03:50 PM
GT

As a Canadian, you must be aware that these taxes are pretty normal, and are
almost identical to what you would pay in Ottawa. The only 'abnormal' tax
is the 2% resort royalty (which I agree is a scam). Non-Canadian residents
can reclaim the 7% GST paid for lodging (and some purchases).

-GT