XC ski hints wanted!

Old December 9th 12, 02:40 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
gr[_4_]

Default XC ski hints wanted!

I write a newsletter for the Rochester NY XC club and want to list the
best XC ski hints!
OK group.... what do you have on tap?
Thanks,
Gary

Old December 11th 12, 08:47 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Discussions on topics like this pretty much killed the newsgroup.
Here's a quick, safe list:

- dress in layers and wear sunglasses
- take liquid, a snack and keep hydrated
- take a lesson from certified pro
- make it enjoyable

Gene

Old December 13th 12, 05:36 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
gr[_2_]

I had in mind more specific hints such as;
--great products you have found
-ways that work to keeps hands warm
-special wax solutions (I like Start Grip Tape!)
-lights for night skiing
-etc.

Hope that doesn't start "religious" discussions!

Old December 13th 12, 11:11 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Terje Mathisen[_2_]

gr wrote:
I had in mind more specific hints such as;
--great products you have found

Blue Extra wax, either Swix or Rode

-ways that work to keeps hands warm

(Heavy) mittens, not gloves!

-special wax solutions (I like Start Grip Tape!)
-lights for night skiing

Anything works here, but I use my Night-O lamps from Lupine:

A regular old 20W halogen lamp from Mila or similar gives more than
enough light for skiing on snow, but a modern LED gives more light, over
longer durations, at significantly less total weight.

The Betty X Pro at 1800 (or 2700) lumens is like skiing with a card
headlight, perfect for telling snowmobilers or mnt bikers to get "out of
the way": They really shouldn't be in the xc tracks anyway!

Terje

- Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no
Old December 13th 12, 03:52 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Bob Schwartz[_2_]

I bought a couple of those cheap Cree XML lights on ebay this
year as an experiment. So far I'm very happy with the result.
Great light and run time for night skiing or trail riding. At
a cost that allows me to shrug off any quality issues from
Chinese suppliers. I used to use NiteRider lights and have had
to throw out a couple because replacement batteries either cost
too much or were no longer available with the right connectors.

I've tried home brewing replacement batteries with spliced in
connectors and I'm very happy to move beyond that crap.

The number of skis I've been responsible for on race day took
a jump this year. So I will put in a plug for fluorinated
paste waxes, and the Fast Wax Slick Pro line. There are a
couple of pursuit races this season where I expect that stuff
to really save my can.

Bob Schwartz

Old December 14th 12, 02:36 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
gr[_2_]

On 12/13/2012 10:52 AM, Bob Schwartz wrote:
I bought a couple of those cheap Cree XML lights on ebay this
year as an experiment. So far I'm very happy with the result.
Great light and run time for night skiing or trail riding. At
a cost that allows me to shrug off any quality issues from
Chinese suppliers. I used to use NiteRider lights and have had
to throw out a couple because replacement batteries either cost
too much or were no longer available with the right connectors.

I've tried home brewing replacement batteries with spliced in
connectors and I'm very happy to move beyond that crap.

The number of skis I've been responsible for on race day took
a jump this year. So I will put in a plug for fluorinated
paste waxes, and the Fast Wax Slick Pro line. There are a
couple of pursuit races this season where I expect that stuff
to really save my can.

Bob Schwartz

Excellent.... these are handy hints!
Old December 14th 12, 04:47 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Bob Schwartz[_2_]

On 12/13/2012 9:52 AM, Bob Schwartz wrote:
The number of skis I've been responsible for on race day took
a jump this year. So I will put in a plug for fluorinated
paste waxes, and the Fast Wax Slick Pro line. There are a
couple of pursuit races this season where I expect that stuff
to really save my can.

Along these lines I heard from the local Toko rep last night
that aerosol klisters are very popular with high school coaches.
That is, if you've got a short race with 20 skiers or so and
klister conditions, real klister is going to be a challenge in
the timeframe allowed. So the wax coach pulls out his or her
collection of spray cans and before you know it the team is
ready to go.

That aside, the stuff is popular with people that hate klister.
Which is not a small population. My experience with it is that,
like grip tape, the effectiveness of spray grip waxes drops
with air temps above freezing.

Bob Schwartz
Old December 16th 12, 02:40 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Gary Jacobson[_2_]

Looked up a pst I made ten years ago. Here's a cut and past:

Here's a list if some tips that might help some marathon skiers. The first
two I developed myself, but no doubt others have done the same.

1. Copy the ski race course profile and tape it to the top of your ski, or
shrink it and tape it to your pole,. Knowing where the hills, downslopes and
feeds are can help.

2. Carry your klister in a plastic bag under your hat. Works much better tha
aerosol klister which doesn't seem to last and requires a long dry time.

3. To keep your water bottle nipple from freezing, carry your water upside
down, and use cold water to fill the bottle. Hot water, I understand freezes
faster due to less desolved oxygen. [nb: this issue was discussed on the NG, and sceintists say it is not true that hot water freezes faster.]

4. Skip the first feed and use your own goodies. You'll pass a lot of skiers
and face better odds of not crashing due to another skier's mishap.

5. Cut your toe nails about 10 days before the race. I've suffered terribly
in some races, and bloodied my socks by either not cutting them, or cutting
them the night before and not testing the job.

6. If you need more kick, try switching your skis. Kick wax wears a lot
faster on the inside portion of the ski. Try to get to more then half way
into the race before you do it. (There are many wax hints for 50 km. plus,
and that could be another post in itself.... Harder wax inside, softer
outside is another wax tip.)

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY
Old December 16th 12, 02:42 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
gr[_4_]

Gary, now that's just the stuff I want! Little tidbits that are hard
won figured out over the years!
Thanks,
Gary

On 12/15/2012 9:40 PM, Gary Jacobson wrote:
[...]

Skis wanted Derrick Fawsitt Alpine Skiing (moderated) 3 February 2nd 05 11:55 AM
Wanted: Ski Bag Mike Marketplace 0 December 11th 04 03:58 PM
WANTED: Ski Bag Mike Alpine Skiing 1 December 11th 04 03:57 PM
Hints / tips on St Gervais? Roy European Ski Resorts 7 December 8th 04 08:52 PM
CO ski lease wanted Doug Alpine Skiing 0 October 28th 03 03:02 AM