Help! Salomon Active Pilots a good choice? Size?

Old September 28th 06, 04:53 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jan Gerrit Klok

Default Help! Salomon Active Pilots a good choice? Size?

"John Forrest Tomlinson" schreef in bericht

About four years ago someone in this group who'd weighed them said the
Actives (at that time) were lighter than the boot above them (Race 9
Bumblebee?) though heavier than the Carbons.

Are they THAT old??
Well, at least I'm getthing the best deal on the web, less than half of some
prices I see.

Claimed weights at www.globetrotter.de :
Salomon RS Carbon 1211g/8,5 2006/7
Active Pilot 1042g/7

Old September 29th 06, 11:30 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Camilo

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
On 27 Sep 2006 21:33:01 -0700, "Camilo" wrote:

From my experience with those boots, your Active boot will be a little
heavier than the Race 9.

--

****************************

Yes, that could very well be correct. ... now that I think of it, I
seem to remember that the Race 9's weren't even heavier than the
Carbons. I hope that I had enough disclaimers in my post to indicate
that I was really just hypothesizing. Although I will stick to my
opinion that the Actives probably aren't as supportive and tough as the
full blown racing gear.

Old September 30th 06, 01:25 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jan Gerrit Klok

It's funny.
My cheapest cycling shoes ended up really light. My theory : less hard
plastic and composites to ensure ultimate stiffness (whether really needed
or not), less comfy fabrics.
Laces and Velcrow in stead of high-end click mechanisms and overlapping
support flaps.

I'm now just going blind on the 12.5UK size being 13US and Euro 48, and that
that often fits me well, also with my current Crosskates.

Sloppy cycling shoes hardly ever bothered me, I even raced the cheapest Lake
laces shoes I've got, they're comfy.

Perhaps the less racey Active Pilot boots will also be that little bit nicer
to walk on, as I may find courage to actually commute the 9.5 miles to work,
alternating my now daily bike rides, making sure to walk a slight shortcut
to avoid passing everyone's windows. I love how cheap cycling shoes are
actually very nice offroad running shoes, with cleats and all.
When I get to the snow I'll make sure to shop for racier boots, try to get
to fit some, and then do the Dutch thing to do : find the cheapest online
vendor. Unless the sales rep is a really cute girl.

Old October 1st 06, 01:00 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Hi Jan, I found these on the gear west website.

http://gear-west.stores.yahoo.net/atomicrselite.html

I think with the exchange they are cheaper than the salomons and I
think better. I'm not sure about the fit. They have a size 48. You
could buy any NNN bindings in europe if they are too expensive at gear
west.

Old October 1st 06, 04:38 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jan Gerrit Klok

Wow, those are gorgous! Indeed a steal, at least just judging by looks and
claimed MSRP.
Shipping and import+VAT duties would kill the joy for a good part, but if I
were a local, I'd definately consider these. Howcome no-one else jumps on
that deal?
No idea how other boots work, but these seems almost like combi boots, and
just one thin strap?

schreef in bericht
oups.com...

Old October 2nd 06, 11:02 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

these look like salomon active combi boots with an Atomic paint job.

I would get a pair of used Salmon bumblebees, or previous year's
Carbons. I find second tier boots too soft.

Old October 3rd 06, 05:23 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jan Gerrit Klok

I've read some reports that the Carbon fit pretty much everyone too narrow.

I'll start with these softies, try and get used to these better than
stiffies that require no ankle stability from my own. :-)

schreef in bericht
ups.com...

Old October 4th 06, 11:29 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

wrote:
these look like salomon active combi boots with an Atomic paint job.

Salomon don't use Rottefella NNN bindings. Found another pair at
Reliable Racing Supply. They have 48's as well. It may not hurt to send
an email and ask the shipping cost, you never know.

http://www.reliableracing.com/detail...&category=1111

I would get a pair of used Salmon bumblebees, or previous year's
Carbons. I find second tier boots too soft.

But they may be better than nothing

Old October 11th 06, 09:01 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jan Gerrit Klok

I got my 12.5 UK Active Pilot boots in today. www.globetrotter.de treated me
good.

The fit seems ace. Extremely comfortable. Too comfortable for racers, I'm
sure.
Lots of quality for the ?91 somthing I ended up paying, including 19% VAT.

The bindings I guess are just bindings. SNS Pilot. Label says Equipe, but
that's nowhere on the Salomon packaging or product. It'll do.

Weight of the boots :
678g, each, to the gram. They feel very light in the hand.

Now the waiting is for Jenex, I hope they sent me all, and exactly what I
ordered, fingers crossed!

"Jan Gerrit Klok" schreef in bericht

Old October 13th 06, 12:55 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Camilo

Jan Gerrit Klok wrote:

The fit seems ace. Extremely comfortable. Too comfortable for racers, I'm
sure...

Don't think that good comfort means a mediocre boot. Good boots are
and should be comfortable also.

The bindings I guess are just bindings. SNS Pilot. Label says Equipe, but
that's nowhere on the Salomon packaging or product. It'll do.

There are no better or worse bindings. Pilot bindings are pilot
bindings.

Did you consider buying the bindings with the skis so they came
mounted?

Weight of the boots :
678g, each, to the gram. They feel very light in the hand.

I think that's probably an excellent weight.

Now the waiting is for Jenex, I hope they sent me all, and exactly what I
ordered, fingers crossed!

I, for one, am really looking forward to hearing about your first
roller ski! I'm also looking forward to hearing about it after you've
had enough experience to get comfortable. Have fun!

Probability of Getting Good Race Skis at Small Ski Shops ?? Tim Kelley Nordic Skiing 26 October 27th 04 06:41 PM
Good Speed Board? skibum Snowboarding 11 April 30th 04 06:35 PM
Salomon 9 vs Carbon Griss Nordic Skiing 9 January 6th 04 04:25 PM
What is a good size board for me?? brent parker Snowboarding 3 December 6th 03 08:08 PM