Roller Ski Question

Old February 29th 04, 05:00 AM
Chris Cline

Default Roller Ski Question

--0-732491505-1078034273=:23772

Hi June-
Serge has some very good points regarding what kinds of roller-skis to get, what to stay
away from, etc. Here's my 2 cents on a few other observations--

Roller skis are definitely an acquired skill. The best way I've found with them is to be
conservative, but persistent. At first just try negotiating around in a parking lot, but
devote some time to it-- short sessions 3-4 times/week. It will start coming together, but
it does take a little time. I think a lot of people give it up when they go out and get
intimidated the first time-- they never get to the second time, or the 10th time when
things start coming together.

One of the things that roller skis are GREAT for, and inline skates are not, is double
poling. In general, inline skates are too fast-- it's too easy to just get whipping along on
them. Roller skis are slower, and are much more ski-like for double-poling.

Another thing that roller skis are good for are for developing a strong aversion to falling
and the cat-like reflexes needed to avoid it. One good whapper on asphalt is usually all
it takes to convince yourself that it's not at all like falling on snow. Even icy snow. But
you will be amazed the next winter about your ability to recover from things like ruts,
crossed tips, etc. This is a big part of the reason why you want to go slow with this
"sport" (training tool, diversion, lunacy, etc.).

Also, there are some general safety rules:
Find good pavement (asphalt) with minimal to light to non-existent traffic. Well-paved
bike trails at off-times (when they are not densely packed with people) are very good.

Think and plan ahead, especially with regards to intersections and hills. Make sure you
start slowing down WELL before you come to anywhere you NEED to stop.

Things like drainage dips, railroad tracks and anything else deep enough for your wheel
to drop into and bottom the frame of the roller ski against the lip-- these will mess you
up. Learn to recognize and avoid them, or stop before them so you can step over them.

It's actually a really good idea to ride your potential route on a bike first, so you can
scout hazards.

Wear your helmet always, and wrist guards if they don't bug you with your ski poles
(they bug me, so I usually hope fervently that if I fall, it won't be on my hands. So far, it
hasn't-- knock on wood). Knee and elbow pads too, at first. Yes, you'll look funny. But
you already look funny on the roller skis, so the rest is just details.

Finally, nordic track skiing (classic or skate) is a very technique intensive undertaking.
With bad technique, you can work really hard and get nowhere-- or get there slowly
and/or inefficiently. You will get a good aerobic workout out of it, but if that's all you
want, it would be much safer to go run stairs at the local high school football stadium. I
suspect that's not what you want-- you want to become a better skiier. Bar none, the
best way to do this is to ski with and learn from good skiiers. You may be isolated from
ski clubs, but since you live in the midwest, I suspect you're not as isolated as you think
you are once you start looking around. Failing that, start shopping for videos at places
like New Moon Ski Shop, Sierra Nordic, and other brick & mortar or online XC proshops.
Develop an eye for analyzing what people are doing right (a good instructional video will
tell you what the skiier is doing), and try to copy that to your skiing. Have someone
video you if you can. Ask Ken Roberts how helpful this is.

It's really important to get some instruction at the start of your career if you can, because
if you think it's easy to pick up bad habits on skis, you should see what you can do on a
pair of roller skis. Sitting in the back seat, "pedaling" with your feet, a few other classic
ills. If you're truly on your own, It's actually not a bad idea at all to stick with about 80%
double-poling at first. It will be very skiing specific for your upper body, will help you
learn to get your balance, and will give you some stability before you start skating or
striding. If you can find a group of roller-skiiers in your area, or a ski club, find out if they
are going to have any rollerski clinics, and attend one (clinics are always a good idea). If
you were to do nothing but double-pole all summer, you would be amazingly strong when
you got back on snow next winter.

Regarding cost- keep an eye on eBay, and feel free to ask this group's opinion when you
find a likely candidate. I guarantee they will have one ;- )

Good luck and enjoy. Stay away from the cat skis (heavy, clunky, and tough to get a real ski-specific motion out of, which is the main purpose for rollerskis). Keep the round things down!

Chris Cline
SLC, UT
will be 44 this summer, and definitely not bouncing like I used to. But still springy
enough to enjoy rollerskiing!

--0-732491505-1078034273=:23772

DIV
DIVHi June-/DIV
DIVSerge has some very good points regarding what kinds of roller-skis to get, what to stay /DIV
DIVaway from, etc.  Here's my 2 cents on a few other observations--/DIV
DIV /DIV
DIVRoller skis are definitely an acquired skill.  The best way I've found with them is to be /DIV
DIVconservative, but persistent.  At first just try negotiating around in a parking lot, but /DIV
DIVdevote some time to it-- short sessions 3-4 times/week.  It will start coming together, but /DIV
DIVit does take a little time.  I think a lot of people give it up when they go out and get /DIV
DIVintimidated the first time-- they never get to the second time, or the 10th time when /DIV
DIVthings start coming together./DIV
DIV /DIV
DIVOne of the things that roller skis are GREAT for, and inline skates are not, is double /DIV
DIVpoling.  In general, inline skates are too fast-- it's too easy to just get whipping along on /DIV
DIVthem.  Roller skis are slower, and are much more ski-like for double-poling.  /DIV
DIV /DIV
DIVAnother thing that roller skis are good for are for developing a strong aversion to falling /DIV
DIVand the cat-like reflexes needed to avoid it.  One good whapper on asphalt is usually all /DIV
DIVit takes to convince yourself that it's not at all like falling on snow.  Even icy snow.  But /DIV
DIVyou will be amazed the next winter about your ability to recover from things like ruts, /DIV
DIVcrossed tips, etc.  This is a big part of the reason why you want to go slow with this /DIV
DIV"sport" (training tool, diversion, lunacy, etc.)./DIV
DIV /DIV
DIVAlso, there are some general safety rules:  /DIV
DIVFind good pavement (asphalt) with minimal to light to non-existent traffic.  Well-paved /DIV
DIVbike trails at off-times (when they are not densely packed with people) are very good./DIV
DIV /DIV
DIVThink and plan ahead, especially with regards to intersections and hills.  Make sure you /DIV
DIVstart slowing down WELL before you come to anywhere you NEED to stop./DIV
DIV /DIV
DIVThings like drainage dips, railroad tracks and anything else deep enough for your wheel /DIV
DIVto drop into and bottom the frame of the roller ski against the lip-- these will mess you /DIV
DIVup.  Learn to recognize and avoid them, or stop before them so you can step over them./DIV
DIV /DIV
DIVIt's actually a really good idea to ride your potential route on a bike first, so you can /DIV
DIVscout hazards./DIV
DIV /DIV
DIVWear your helmet always, and wrist guards if they don't bug you with your ski poles /DIV
DIV(they bug me, so I usually hope fervently that if I fall, it won't be on my hands.  So far, it /DIV
DIVhasn't-- knock on wood).  Knee and elbow pads too, at first.  Yes, you'll look funny.  But /DIV
DIVyou already look funny on the roller skis, so the rest is just details./DIV
DIVBRFinally, nordic track skiing (classic or skate) is a very technique intensive undertaking.  /DIV
DIVWith bad technique, you can work really hard and get nowhere-- or get there slowly /DIV
DIVand/or inefficiently.  You will get a good aerobic workout out of it, but if that's all you /DIV
DIVwant, it would be much safer to go run stairs at the local high school football stadium.  I /DIV
DIVsuspect that's not what you want-- you want to become a better skiier.  Bar none, the /DIV
DIVbest way to do this is to ski with and learn from good skiiers.  You may be isolated from /DIV
DIVski clubs, but since you live in the midwest, I suspect you're not as isolated as you think /DIV
DIVyou are once you start looking around.  Failing that, start shopping for videos at places /DIV
DIVlike New Moon Ski Shop, Sierra Nordic, and other brick & mortar or online XC proshops.  /DIV
DIVDevelop an eye for analyzing what people are doing right (a good instructional video will /DIV
DIVtell you what the skiier is doing), and try to copy that to your skiing.  Have someone /DIV
DIVvideo you if you can.  Ask Ken Roberts how helpful this is./DIV
DIV
DIV /DIV
DIVIt's really important to get some instruction at the start of your career if you can, because /DIV
DIVif you think it's easy to pick up bad habits on skis, you should see what you can do on a /DIV
DIVpair of roller skis.  Sitting in the back seat, "pedaling" with your feet, a few other classic /DIV
DIVills.   If you're truly on your own, It's actually not a bad idea at all to stick with about 80% /DIV
DIVdouble-poling at first.  It will be very skiing specific for your upper body, will help you /DIV
DIVlearn to get your balance, and will give you some stability before you start skating or /DIV
DIVstriding.  If you can find a group of roller-skiiers in your area, or a ski club, find out if they /DIV
DIVare going to have any rollerski clinics, and attend one (clinics are always a good idea).  If /DIV
DIVyou were to do nothing but double-pole all summer, you would be amazingly strong when /DIV
DIVyou got back on snow next winter./DIV
DIV /DIV
DIVRegarding cost- keep an eye on eBay, and feel free to ask this group's opinion when you /DIV
DIVfind a likely candidate.  I guarantee they will have one ;- )/DIV
DIV /DIV
DIVGood luck and enjoy.  Stay away from the cat skis (heavy, clunky, and tough to get a real ski-specific motion out of, which is the main purpose for rollerskis).  Keep the round things down!/DIV
DIV /DIV
DIVChris Cline/DIV
DIVSLC, UT/DIV
DIVwill be 44 this summer, and definitely not bouncing like I used to.  But still springy /DIV
DIVenough to enjoy rollerskiing!/DIVS/DIV/DIV/Sphr SIZE=1
Do you Yahoo!?br
Get better spam protection with a href="http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mailtag_us/*http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools"Yahoo! Mail/a
--0-732491505-1078034273=:23772--

Old February 29th 04, 01:45 PM
Diva

Thanks for all of this, Chris.

June

"Chris Cline" wrote in message =
o.com...
--0-732491505-1078034273=3D:23772

Hi June-
Serge has some very good points regarding what kinds of roller-skis to =
get, what to stay=20
away from, etc. Here's my 2 cents on a few other observations--
=20
Roller skis are definitely an acquired skill. The best way I've found =
with them is to be=20
conservative, but persistent. At first just try negotiating around in a =
parking lot, but=20
devote some time to it-- short sessions 3-4 times/week. It will start =
coming together, but=20
it does take a little time. I think a lot of people give it up when =
they go out and get=20
intimidated the first time-- they never get to the second time, or the =
10th time when=20
things start coming together.
=20
One of the things that roller skis are GREAT for, and inline skates are =
not, is double=20
poling. In general, inline skates are too fast-- it's too easy to just =
get whipping along on=20
them. Roller skis are slower, and are much more ski-like for =
double-poling. =20
=20
Another thing that roller skis are good for are for developing a strong =
aversion to falling=20
and the cat-like reflexes needed to avoid it. One good whapper on =
asphalt is usually all=20
it takes to convince yourself that it's not at all like falling on snow. =
Even icy snow. But=20
you will be amazed the next winter about your ability to recover from =
things like ruts,=20
crossed tips, etc. This is a big part of the reason why you want to go =
slow with this=20
"sport" (training tool, diversion, lunacy, etc.).
=20
Also, there are some general safety rules: =20
Find good pavement (asphalt) with minimal to light to non-existent =
traffic. Well-paved=20
bike trails at off-times (when they are not densely packed with people) =
are very good.
=20
Think and plan ahead, especially with regards to intersections and =
hills. Make sure you=20
start slowing down WELL before you come to anywhere you NEED to stop.
=20
Things like drainage dips, railroad tracks and anything else deep enough =
for your wheel=20
to drop into and bottom the frame of the roller ski against the lip-- =
these will mess you=20
up. Learn to recognize and avoid them, or stop before them so you can =
step over them.
=20
It's actually a really good idea to ride your potential route on a bike =
first, so you can=20
scout hazards.
=20
Wear your helmet always, and wrist guards if they don't bug you with =
your ski poles=20
(they bug me, so I usually hope fervently that if I fall, it won't be on =
my hands. So far, it=20
hasn't-- knock on wood). Knee and elbow pads too, at first. Yes, =
you'll look funny. But=20
you already look funny on the roller skis, so the rest is just details.

Finally, nordic track skiing (classic or skate) is a very technique =
intensive undertaking. =20
With bad technique, you can work really hard and get nowhere-- or get =
there slowly=20
and/or inefficiently. You will get a good aerobic workout out of it, =
but if that's all you=20
want, it would be much safer to go run stairs at the local high school =
football stadium. I=20
suspect that's not what you want-- you want to become a better skiier. =
Bar none, the=20
best way to do this is to ski with and learn from good skiiers. You may =
be isolated from=20
ski clubs, but since you live in the midwest, I suspect you're not as =
isolated as you think=20
you are once you start looking around. Failing that, start shopping for =
videos at places=20
like New Moon Ski Shop, Sierra Nordic, and other brick & mortar or =
online XC proshops. =20
Develop an eye for analyzing what people are doing right (a good =
instructional video will=20
tell you what the skiier is doing), and try to copy that to your skiing. =
Have someone=20
video you if you can. Ask Ken Roberts how helpful this is.
=20
It's really important to get some instruction at the start of your =
career if you can, because=20
if you think it's easy to pick up bad habits on skis, you should see =
what you can do on a=20
pair of roller skis. Sitting in the back seat, "pedaling" with your =
feet, a few other classic=20
ills. If you're truly on your own, It's actually not a bad idea at all =
to stick with about 80%=20
double-poling at first. It will be very skiing specific for your upper =
body, will help you=20
learn to get your balance, and will give you some stability before you =
start skating or=20
striding. If you can find a group of roller-skiiers in your area, or a =
ski club, find out if they=20
are going to have any rollerski clinics, and attend one (clinics are =
always a good idea). If=20
you were to do nothing but double-pole all summer, you would be =
amazingly strong when=20
you got back on snow next winter.
=20
Regarding cost- keep an eye on eBay, and feel free to ask this group's =
opinion when you=20
find a likely candidate. I guarantee they will have one ;- )
=20
Good luck and enjoy. Stay away from the cat skis (heavy, clunky, and =
tough to get a real ski-specific motion out of, which is the main =
purpose for rollerskis). Keep the round things down!
=20
Chris Cline
SLC, UT
will be 44 this summer, and definitely not bouncing like I used to. But =
still springy=20
[...]

SIZE=3D1
Do you Yahoo!?br
Get better spam protection with a =
href=3D"http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mailtag_us/*http://antispam.yahoo.com/tool=
s"Yahoo! Mail/a
--0-732491505-1078034273=3D:23772--

Old February 29th 04, 03:33 PM
J999w

Not that you can't double pole on inlines, you can. You also get a fairly good
double pole doing V2.

jw
milwaukee
Old February 29th 04, 04:38 PM
Gene Goldenfeld

Hey John, there's a Tim Wilkie from Luck, WI, who raced the Brule River
Loppet yesterday. Is that a relation -- or your racing name? ;-) see
http://www.skinnyski.com/racing/resu...iewloppet.html

Gene

Old February 29th 04, 05:02 PM
J999w

Nope. Not me and not relation.

There is another ham radio operator here in Milwaukee (I am one - WB9UAI) who
is also John Wilke with a different middle initial ... talk about confusion
when ordering electronic parts!

Skiing done ... mud and slush.

Will get either the roller blades or roller skis out later this afternoon after
I wash a very dirty Subaru station wagon.

jw
milwaukee