Cross country skiing and Eye wear?????

Old February 20th 06, 09:41 PM

Default Cross country skiing and Eye wear?????

Does anyone know of sun glasses that I can use while cross country skiing?
All mine fog up so badly I just cannot see.

Old February 21st 06, 02:29 AM

News wrote:
Does anyone know of sun glasses that I can use while cross country skiing?
All mine fog up so badly I just cannot see.

I'd advise going for actual ski goggles. Generally, you can get some
good ones for not too much.

If you're looking for prescription stuff, well, my experience hasn't
been great - I got the Adidas Robin goggles with inserts, and the
inserts constantly fog up once I start working toward a sweat. Anti-fog
spray helps a little bit.

DJ Daimon
Old February 21st 06, 09:19 AM

DJ Daimon wrote:
News wrote:

Does anyone know of sun glasses that I can use while cross country
skiing? All mine fog up so badly I just cannot see.

I'd advise going for actual ski goggles.

Depends what you're meaning by "cross country skiing". For light track
skiing I don't wear goggles because I find they're too hot and
(relatively) uncomfortable. I only get goggles out for serious Incoming
or if it's /very/ cold.

I use wraparound lightweights, a bit like those fit folk you can
currently see doing the rounds at the Olympics. They only seem to fog
up if I blow upwards.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Old February 22nd 06, 08:32 PM

Peter Clinch wrote:

I use wraparound lightweights, a bit like those fit folk you can
currently see doing the rounds at the Olympics. They only seem to fog
up if I blow upwards.

One of the sprinters in todays Sprints at the Olys got stabbed in the chest by a pole of the guy in front when they were both in downhill tuck, it could have caught his face.
There was a call some time ago for stronger lenses to be put into sports glasses to protect the eyes of the following skier in an incident like the above.
Its something to consider when forest skiing. Branches extending across the trail can get snapped off by harvesting vehicles leaving a sharp point behind.
Old February 22nd 06, 11:25 PM

"Peter Clinch" wrote in message
DJ Daimon wrote:
News wrote:

Does anyone know of sun glasses that I can use while cross country
skiing? All mine fog up so badly I just cannot see.

I'd advise going for actual ski goggles.

Depends what you're meaning by "cross country skiing". For light track
skiing I don't wear goggles because I find they're too hot and
(relatively) uncomfortable. I only get goggles out for serious Incoming
or if it's /very/ cold.

I use wraparound lightweights, a bit like those fit folk you can currently
see doing the rounds at the Olympics. They only seem to fog up if I blow
upwards.

Pete.

I go into the mountains where if there is a trail is it a hiker's trail. The
trail is thin, the trees are close to the edge of the trails and there are
steep hills. At times it is slow, hard work and I get fairly sweaty. The pay
off for me is the solitude, the peace and the thrill of going where few
others will go.

I have two pair of wraparound glasses that don't work at all, not even when
I am on the flat as they fog. I have never tried goggles.

I find I have the same problem with fog on my lenses when running. Makes me
wish some genius would solve this problem and makes me wonder what the
skiers are using in Turin.

Old February 22nd 06, 11:26 PM

"DJ Daimon" wrote in message
News wrote:
Does anyone know of sun glasses that I can use while cross country
skiing? All mine fog up so badly I just cannot see.

I'd advise going for actual ski goggles. Generally, you can get some good
ones for not too much.

If you're looking for prescription stuff, well, my experience hasn't been
great - I got the Adidas Robin goggles with inserts, and the inserts
constantly fog up once I start working toward a sweat. Anti-fog spray
helps a little bit.

DJ Daimon

I suppose I will have to try goggles as I have never tired them. Thanks

Old February 23rd 06, 03:14 AM

I have two pair of wraparound glasses that don't work at all, not even when
I am on the flat as they fog. I have never tried goggles.

I find I have the same problem with fog on my lenses when running. Makes me
wish some genius would solve this problem and makes me wonder what the
skiers are using in Turin.

If you like toys...

Somebody makes goggles with a fan. (battery) I've never tried them.

--
The suespammers.org mail server is located in California. So are all my
other mailboxes. Please do not send unsolicited bulk e-mail or unsolicited

Old February 23rd 06, 04:32 AM

DJ Daimon wrote:
News wrote:

[...]

As I noted previously, I have problems with the prescription lens insert
fogging up in my goggles - I'm currently trying out an anti-fog spray
(fog master) - thus far, it works a little bit, but I've only really
tried on a single run, when I really shouldn't have been using the
goggles anyways.

I'll probably be doing some track/trail skiing this weekend, so I'll let
you know how it works for that run.

DJ Daimon
Old February 23rd 06, 08:02 PM

Old February 24th 06, 04:25 AM

Booker C. Bense wrote:

_ Goggles will be much, much worse. Even the best don't ventilate
as well as sunglasses. Many XC racers use a kind of tiltable
shield glass rather than standard sunglasses.

I find I have the same problem with fog on my lenses when running. Makes me
wish some genius would solve this problem and makes me wonder what the
skiers are using in Turin.

_ The only way to truly solve this problem is to wear less or
more breathable clothes. Basically what's happening is that a lot
of moist air is coming up around your neck and contacts the
cold lenses and condenses. Goretex is the primary culprit.
Fogging glasses is a sign of being overdressed, when your glasses
start fogging take off a layer of clothes.

It really depends on the weather - I don't want to be taking off too
many more layers at -30 to -40, which tends to be some of my favourite
weather for skiing, and after 6 km's I find that my glasses have been
etched with frost to the point where I can't see the trail.

Probably one of the problems with the goggles I've currently got is that
this winter has been way too mild, although I will agree that they don't
breathe as well as I would like.

DJ Daimon