Drying soft boots

Old January 5th 05, 05:08 PM
bri719

Default Drying soft boots

hey guys,

I just had a question if anyone has ever had a problem with drying out
their soft boots after a long day riding. it's been raining all week
(so far), so I couldn't leave my SL-6s outside or anything to help dry
them out. but I towelled off the exterior and set them aside, unlaced,
in my warm living room the past 3 days. after all this time, they're
finally dry enough to not feel any moisture when I stick my hand inside.

we were riding mostly powder all day on Saturday and the inside near the
heel especially ended up getting wetter than ever, even with gaiters.
but I definitely never expected it to take more than 1 day to dry them
out. with my old boots I just stuck a paper towel inside or took them
out of my board bag and in about 24 hrs. they were fine.

thx!
b.

--

* enjoying the karma *
remove LKJSDFJSD from address to email

Old January 5th 05, 08:32 PM
stealtheldorado

Newspaper!!! Put good old fashioned newspaper (i.e., the Wall Street
Journal, NY Times) into your boots crumpled up and packed in pretty
tight. It's an old trick we always used as X-C runners to quickly dry
off our soaked training shoes so we could run in them the next morning.
We balled up pages of newspaper, crammed as much of it as possible into
the shoes, and the next day the paper was wet and the shoes were dry.

It will help to keep your wet boots near a heat source, like a radiator
or the clothes dryer (not in it though!!!). But the newspaper will
absorb all the excess moisture regardless of where you place the boots.

Since snowboard boots are form-fit, don't go crazy stuffing 'em by
trying to force the ABSOLUTE maximum amount of paper in there. I've no
idea how many sheets or pages each boot will hold. But my guess is
about 10 - 20 balled up sheets per boot but not much more. Don't try to
cram the entire Sunday Edition of the NY Times in there! Stuff the
toes pretty good - tight as possible. Then fill the rest nice and tight
but not so much that the boot bulges any more then when empty. Again
you don't want to ruin the form fit. Then lace 'em up so they look
like the display models at the board shop.

My boots have never been so wet that they didn't dry overnight. But
again this was a common practice when I ran cross country in HS and
college. My running shoes were soaked plenty and this never failed to
get them dry overnight for the next run.

Needless to say, take the paper out before your next ride. It'll be
pretty damp.

Good luck!

StealthEldorado

Old January 6th 05, 03:14 AM
todd

bri719 wrote:
hey guys,

I just had a question if anyone has ever had a problem with drying

out
their soft boots after a long day riding...

they should dry overnight with any airflow blowing into them. doesn't
even have to be heated, just the air exchange will draw out the
moisture.
you can blow a fan into them, or i usually turn them upside down
partially
covering a central air vent. even if the heat isn't on, the fan will
take care of it.

airflow.
heat will be quicker, but airflow will work.

that or buy boots with removeable liners. take the liners out and
everything will dry in half the time. (still need airflow to quick dry)

they of course make boot dryers, but that's just another piece to pack
and cart around with you.
-todd

Old January 11th 05, 12:05 AM
Sharkie

todd wrote:
you can blow a fan into them, or i usually turn them upside down
partially
covering a central air vent. even if the heat isn't on, the fan will
take care of it.

Correct. However a small caution he if the air from the air vent
is hot, it might deform your boots. If the air is cold or slightly
warm, it's OK to put your boots on the vents. If it's blowing hot
though, put them close to the vents but not on them.

Old January 11th 05, 12:23 AM

Good point; I delaminated a liner one time putting my boots right on
the furnace vent.

Old January 11th 05, 12:54 AM
Mike T

they of course make boot dryers, but that's just another piece to pack
and cart around with you.

If you are looking for a boot dryer, I can't recommend this one enough:

http://www.peetshoedryer.com/peet_sh...r_products.php

It uses airflow not heat - I think slightly warmer than room temperature -
won't harm boots liners, shoes, etc, but easily leaves your boots dry after
a couple of hours. I bought one for $25 brand new several years ago, I see
they're $50 now but IMHO still worth considering.

Mike T

Soft Boots? MH Alpine Skiing 4 December 14th 04 01:10 AM
Beginner - Starting off with soft boots? Guy Lux Snowboarding 7 January 22nd 04 08:45 PM
New Fangled Soft Boots houseslave Alpine Skiing 1 January 11th 04 07:37 PM
Soft Boots Need Help houseslave Alpine Skiing 0 December 25th 03 04:14 PM
Custom Liners / Soft Boots Chris Devidal Alpine Skiing 1 October 3rd 03 04:24 PM