swiss resorts for the beginner - suggestions please

Old February 2nd 05, 08:32 PM
Alex Heney

On 1 Feb 2005 22:37:33 -0800, (tim) wrote:

I've had a few hours of lessons but still don't have any confidence.

I really need a swiss resort that has really, really easy slopes.

Any ideas ?

This might sound silly, but I would suggest Verbier. (Mind you it is
the only Swiss resort I have skied :-)

Their nursery slopes are VERY easy, and then they have several
reasonable blue runs, and a good few reds that you should be able to
cope with by the end of a week (if you take lessons).

And because it is regarded as an "expert" resort, you tend to get
fewer beginners, so the ski school classes may well be smaller (they
were for me, but that was low season as well).

Old February 2nd 05, 09:17 PM
Gav

On 1 Feb 2005 22:37:33 -0800, (tim) wrote:

I've had a few hours of lessons but still don't have any confidence.

I really need a swiss resort that has really, really easy slopes.

Any ideas ?

Flumserberg (
http://www.flumserberg.com/en/welcome.cfm) has just
about the best beginner area of any of the Swiss resorts that I've
been to. It's reasonably large with a choice of two T-bars and
variable terrain ranging from really easy to moderately steep once you
have gained your ski legs a bit. It's quite handy to Zuerich, just an
hour down the motorway towards Chur. Also quite a lot of decent easy
pistes there generally once you are ready to tackle them.

The problem is that most resorts in Switzerland are geared to people
who already ski, hence the nursery slope often is literally for
kiddies only.

cheers,

Gavan

Old February 2nd 05, 09:42 PM
Johannes

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 11:36:25 +0100, Ace wrote:

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 09:22:00 +0100, Johannes
wrote:

On 1 Feb 2005 22:37:33 -0800, (tim) wrote:

I've had a few hours of lessons but still don't have any confidence.

I really need a swiss resort that has really, really easy slopes.

Any ideas ?

specially: Sörenberg
www.soerenberg.ch

Sedrun www.sedrunbergbahnen.ch
Adelboden/Lenk www.adelboden.ch / www.lenk.ch
Saas Fee www.saas-fee.ch
Got also some easy slopes.

Dunno Sedrun, but the other two are both well-suited to beginners.

If you stay at Adelboden go up with the Gondola and the bus to Geils.
The run Hanenmoos - Geils is easy also the run Bühlberg and
Brenggenmäder.
If you stay at Lenk, you should go up to the Bühlberg Lift with the
Bus. If you got to the Bettelberg the easy runs are on the top. So
perhaps is it better go up an down with the Gondola.

Saas Fee at Morenia(this name is sh... Masten 4 was better) is a
Double T-Bar lift and a Platter Lift. Down: not strait down(red)
follow the Skiway or go with the Gondola down. Also are there 4
Beginer lifts at the village.
Btw the reds from the top are not so difficult as they seams. Only the
hang down to de double T-Barlift is DIFFICULT. Don't go down form
Längflueh to Saas Fee! it's black and red.

Meiringen/Hasliburg http://www.alpenregion.ch also springs to mind.

I was only 2 times at Hasliberg(Last season 1x). But i remeber only 2
easy Runs. 1 is the T-Bar lift that ends at Käserstatt. The other is
the T-Bar lift that ends at Mägisalp.

Johannes
Old February 3rd 05, 08:38 AM
Simon Brown

"Johannes" wrote in message

Sedrun www.sedrunbergbahnen.ch
Adelboden/Lenk www.adelboden.ch / www.lenk.ch
Saas Fee www.saas-fee.ch
Got also some easy slopes.

I agree about Sedrun, nice resort for a beginner and not expensive.

Laax is not that difficult either but it is expensive.
--
Simon Brown
www.hb9drv.ch www.laax.ch

Old February 3rd 05, 11:07 AM
Switters

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 09:38:06 GMT, "Simon Brown"
allegedly wrote:

Laax is not that difficult either but it is expensive.

I think Laax would be scary for a beginner. Asides from the beginner runs
down to Alp Crap and perhaps following onto Dado & Curnius, dropping off
the other side towards Plaun/Nagens would be a scary prospect given that
it's regularly icy.

Flims would probably be a better choice.

- Dave.

http://www.vpas.org/ - Snowboarding the worlds pow pow -
Securing your e-mail

Old February 3rd 05, 12:09 PM
Simon Brown

allegedly wrote:

Laax is not that difficult either but it is expensive.

I think Laax would be scary for a beginner. Asides from the beginner runs
down to Alp Crap and perhaps following onto Dado & Curnius, dropping off
the other side towards Plaun/Nagens would be a scary prospect given that
it's regularly icy.

Flims would probably be a better choice.

- Dave.

I really meant the resort as a whole - lots of very easy skiing, and even if
it's steep it's usually very wide. But for a beginner far too expensive
IMHO.
--
Simon Brown
www.sysgem.com www.hb9drv.ch www.laax.ch

Old February 3rd 05, 08:44 PM
Neil Swingler

Gav wrote:
On 1 Feb 2005 22:37:33 -0800, (tim) wrote:

I've had a few hours of lessons but still don't have any confidence.

I really need a swiss resort that has really, really easy slopes.

Any ideas ?

Flumserberg (
http://www.flumserberg.com/en/welcome.cfm) has just
about the best beginner area of any of the Swiss resorts that I've
been to. It's reasonably large with a choice of two T-bars and
variable terrain ranging from really easy to moderately steep once you
have gained your ski legs a bit. It's quite handy to Zuerich, just an
hour down the motorway towards Chur. Also quite a lot of decent easy
pistes there generally once you are ready to tackle them.

The problem is that most resorts in Switzerland are geared to people
who already ski, hence the nursery slope often is literally for
kiddies only.

I would also recommend the terrain at Flumserberg. The main drawback is
the number of people on the pistes at weekends.

The nursery slopes i.e. the t-bars by the road in Tannenboden should be
fine for adults as well as children. These are also off the main pistes
so you don't get people skiing too fast there.

--
Neil Swingler
Old February 3rd 05, 09:16 PM
Sue

In message , Alex Heney
writes

I really need a swiss resort that has really, really easy slopes.

This might sound silly, but I would suggest Verbier. (Mind you it is
the only Swiss resort I have skied :-)

Their nursery slopes are VERY easy, and then they have several
reasonable blue runs, and a good few reds that you should be able to
cope with by the end of a week (if you take lessons).

Verbier's nursery slope (singular) is steep for a nursery slope, and
short. It doesn't slope evenly, it has flat bits and steep bits,
because it's on a golf course! At the bottom, if you don't stop, you
crash through the lift queue and fetch up in a hedge.

There are a few blue runs, but less steep resorts can offer far more for
the improving beginner to do.

And because it is regarded as an "expert" resort, you tend to get
fewer beginners, so the ski school classes may well be smaller (they
were for me, but that was low season as well).

The OP would get better value elsewhere, if he's got a choice.
Verbier'd be more fun for him when he's more experienced.

--
Sue ];(
Old February 3rd 05, 11:50 PM
Alex Heney

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 22:16:58 +0000, Sue wrote:

In message , Alex Heney
writes

I really need a swiss resort that has really, really easy slopes.

This might sound silly, but I would suggest Verbier. (Mind you it is
the only Swiss resort I have skied :-)

Their nursery slopes are VERY easy, and then they have several
reasonable blue runs, and a good few reds that you should be able to
cope with by the end of a week (if you take lessons).

Verbier's nursery slope (singular) is steep for a nursery slope, and
short. It doesn't slope evenly, it has flat bits and steep bits,
because it's on a golf course! At the bottom, if you don't stop, you
crash through the lift queue and fetch up in a hedge.

Are you sure you are not confusing the Nursery slope with the two
short slopes a couple of hundred yards away?

Which is where the beginners progress to by their second day (IME).

There are a few blue runs, but less steep resorts can offer far more for
the improving beginner to do.

Possibly.

I know it worked well for me, in my very first week skiing.

But I do learn fast :-)

And because it is regarded as an "expert" resort, you tend to get
fewer beginners, so the ski school classes may well be smaller (they
were for me, but that was low season as well).

The OP would get better value elsewhere, if he's got a choice.
Verbier'd be more fun for him when he's more experienced.

Well he would probably get it cheaper, granted, although maybe not
much in Switzerland.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Abandon all hope ye who have entered cyberspace.

Old February 5th 05, 09:25 AM
Adrian D. Shaw

Felly sgrifennodd Gav :
Flumserberg (http://www.flumserberg.com/en/welcome.cfm)

I was wondering where this was until I went to the website and saw Heidiland!
That's how I've seen it marketed before. I've wondered about going there
myself in the past; is it worth it (for two fairly advanced skiers)?

Adrian
--
Adrian Shaw ais@
Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, Cymru ac.