Canadian Natl Masters

Old December 2nd 03, 01:17 AM
Rick Mitchell

Default Canadian Natl Masters

I'm interested in heading up to the Canadian Natl Masters scheduled for
February 9 - 14th. I'd like to hear from anyone who has personal experience
with the venue (Onaping Falls) or the nearby town of Sudbury (approx. 400K
north of Toronto)? The race format is pretty straight forward, 20K F on
Monday, 10K F on Wednesday, 10K Cl on Thursday and a 30K Cl on Saturday.

For me, the race series falls between two three day weekends, which makes it
an easy one for travel. Hopefully being that far north, snow availabiltiy
will not be a problem. Anyone have any thoughts or comments on this race
series? Website is
http://x-c.com/clubs/masters/Nationa...0nationals.htm

Rick Mitchell
Springville, CA

Old December 2nd 03, 01:34 AM
Scott Elliot

I have been to Sudbury a few times, many years ago. I have a very fuzzy and
confused memory of spending a wonderful New Year's Eve at the Polish Legion
and the terrible hangover the next day. (Poles can really kick up their
heels and polka.) I also have a memory of spending an evening with a young
lady watching the molten slag from the mines being dumped on the massive
slag piles.

The only time I skied there was quite cold and icy. That was not at Onaping
Falls. I would expect snow to be reliable in February, but have no personal
experience one way or the other at that time of year in that part of the
country.

Scott Elliot
http://www3.telus.net/selliot/

Old December 2nd 03, 02:23 AM

It would be very surprising if there were any problem with lack
of snow at that time of year in Onaping. It is a good ways north,
but there are occasional meltdowns even up there. Onaping gets more
snow than Sudbury itself, but less than the areas near Sault Ste.
Marie, which get lake effect off Superior.

You will undoubtedly find the people in Northern Ontario very friendly,
and maybe find some of the tourist activities (such as Scott mentioned)
quite interesting. I'm originally from the north, and did my last
two years of high school in Sudbury, though that was a very long time
ago. Email me privately if you have any more questions along these
lines.

The trails at Onaping are not huge in total distance, but beautifully
laid out and lots of fun for racing. I did a few races there about
4 years ago (Ontario Championships I think it was) and the event was
very well organized. Unfortunately I can't get away that week
and the 30 classic conflicts with the 50 classic at Keskinada that
Saturday (which is kind of dumb, but something happened which
forced them to move the Masters back one week.) If you wanted to
really waste yourself, you could do the first 3 masters races, then
go down to Ottawa (an easy day's drive) and do two 50's on the
Keskinada weekend.

I hope you are able to make it.

Best, Peter
Old December 2nd 03, 02:46 PM
Rick Mitchell

Actually, I had thought about that. For some reason, I was thinking the
Keskinada events were near Quebec.
If they are near Ottawa, that's a more reasonable drive from Sudbury. 5.5
hrs?

I doubt I would do the two 50's at Keskinada, but maybe some mid-distance
events. That would be a great week of racing!

Old December 2nd 03, 05:08 PM
Chris Pella

() wrote in message ...
[...]

I grew up in Sudbury, and learned to ski out behind Laurentian U,
sometimes on snowmobile tracks, back in the 70s. Now they have nicely
groomed trails back there. There definitely shouldn't be a problem
with snow in February, although I would be prepared for some cold
weather. I'm thinking of doing one of the skating races and coming
back to Ottawa for Keskinada.
Having lived in Guelph for a while, the Ottawa/Sudbury drive is much
nicer than the one from the Toronto area.
There is a largish Finn community around Sudbury, so there is some ski
heritage, although not as much as Thunder Bay.

Chris
Old December 3rd 03, 01:34 AM

It's been decades since I drove Sudbury-Ottawa, but 5.5 hours sounds
reasonable if the weather cooperates. Certainly it's good highway,
mostly 2-lane still I think, but not too much traffic and probably
reasonably quick past North Bay these days. Get the mileage off
a map, and maybe assume 55mph average minus coffee breaks and weather
problems.

Best, Peter

Old December 3rd 03, 02:54 AM
Tony Curran

The Keskinada is held in Gatineau Parc just 15min drive from downtown Ottawa
and yes, it is in Quebec.

Tony
Ottawa

Old December 6th 03, 01:20 PM
Kathy

From: Michael Keating
Date: Thu Dec 04, 2003 05:12:26 PM America/Montreal
Subject: Onaping Falls Cdn Masters

Hey Rick--Kathy Brisco from our club forwarded your query to me: Onaping is
about 45 minutes northwest of Subury, hard in the Laurentian hills of the
Canadian Shield, beyond Sudbury when traveling from Toronto which is of
course south east of Sudbury. Sudbury is about a 31/2 hr drive from Toronto.
The trail system at Onaping is not extensive (less than 40 km, I would say)
but very well maintained by a growing and enthusiastic ski club. The club
has been cutting its teeth in recent years on other competitions and this
will be their most ambitious project to date. I have been to several other
events there over the past several years and have sent teams to still other
events there and all have been well organized and smoothly run , with plenty
of cheerful friendly volunteers. The snow is about as reliable there in
February as any where on earth; it is much more likely that a race there in
Feb would be cancelled or delayed due to cold weather rather than to lack of
snow.....
The course itself is fairly challenging, with numerous short tough climbs
rather than any long continuous grunts....
The biggest drawback to the location is a dearth of lodgings/meal facilities
in the vicinity. Sudbury is a city of 125,000 people with the usual chains
and independent accommodations and restaurants, but that is a 45 min drive
away. This is an achilles heel which they are well aware of, so a call or
email to Lise Leblanc, who is the club president and, I believe, the race
organizer, will probably reveal that they have worked out some specific
solutions to this issue. There are some seasonal fishing resort operators in
the area and I expect the organizers will be trying to work something out
with those people. Come on up.....all things going well, I expect to race
there too....as well as at a couple of the US Masters' races in January in
Marquette, which is also right in our neighbourhood. Let me know if there is
anything else I can do for you.

Cheers,
Michael Keating, M4.