Snowboarding or skiing?

Old January 5th 04, 04:22 AM
Joe Ramirez

Default Snowboarding or skiing?

"Stephen" wrote in message
2. If you both ski and ride, which do you prefer, and why? If you ride

but
don't ski, do you have any sense that you're missing out on an important
part of the winter mountain experience?

I used to ski on occasion, maybe once or twice a season. Since trying
boarding though there's been no looking back and it gets me out there at
least once a week. I don't miss skiing at all. Never did like the poles,

or
skies being able to go in opposite directions.

Most of the commentary I've read from skiers who have tried snowboading
seriously seems to agree with you -- the people ended up liking snowboarding
better.

4. If I took up snowboarding and persevered long enough to become a

decent
rider, would I be able to hit the slopes with the brother and/or
brother-in-law (I mean the ones within my capabilities)? Or is there
something awkward about going snowboarding with skiers? Does one get

"left
in the dust," so to speak?

There's shouldn't be any real issues but maybe some little things. One

thing
I've found here is that skiers tend to stop on flatter sections of trail

regroup. Getting going after stopping on a flat for a snowboard is a pain,
whereas skiers can just pole along. Another thing may be just style,
snowboards tend to make use of more of the trail, whereas most skiers tend
to just go straight. Makes it a little more awkward trying to go down side
by side.

Is it possible to "just go straight" on a snowboard? Or is constant back and
forth turning required to descend a slope?

I'd say give it a try at least. Take a lesson, maybe request an instructor
of like age, and don't give up after the first day. If after three days,

say
consecutive weekends, you still don't like it, then maybe try skiing
instead.

This is probably what I will do, although I may not be able to count on a
choice of instructors. However, I have no problem learning the sport from
someone half my age, as long as no one tries to steer me toward the
halfpipe.

Thanks,

Joe Ramirez

Old January 5th 04, 04:22 AM
Joe Ramirez

"WeatherCam" wrote in message
As Steve says, it very much depends on your physical condition....if you

are
carrying extra weight and really are not that flexible, then learning to
snowboard at age 42 can be quite painful and you will really feel the

aches
and pains - just getting your straps done up around your boots and then
getting back up on your feet can be quite energetic if you have a bit of a
middle aged stomach....so be honest to yourself, how fit do you think you
are, can you easily touch your toes, do you suffer from a stiff back quite
often do you pull muscles / strain easily....learning to ski is much less
physically demanding than learning to snowboard - I'm now 45 and have been
on the mountains for over thirty years - when we go away with people fresh
to the slopes, I advise them to ski / board based on what I perceive to be
their "Sports" / "balance" aptitude - if they just want to enjoy the
mountains, learn a new sport , but will not be busting a gut, then go with
the skis - if they are more adventurous, mountain bike, wake board play
soccer / run, and are generally all round "sportifs" then I'd reccomend
boarding - one other thing, is the actual conditions - if the snow is rock
hard / ice then go with skis!!!

Well, I wouldn't call myself a "sportif" by any stretch, but I can easily
touch my toes and I am not overweight. I can also still do something I
learned to do as a teenager, which is to squat all the way down, then
balance on one foot and stand up using only one leg. (Though it's a bit
harder than it used to be!)

Part of the reason for my taking up a snow sport in the first place is to
get more active, since my activity level has been waning in recent years. I
used to ride my bike a lot in the summer, but the last couple of years I
haven't. I used to play recreational tennis often, plus competitive
(tournament level) table tennis, but I've taken time off from these
activities as well. I still try to ice skate occasionally. Part of it is
just being busy with the demands of daily life, and part is that my main
hobby is music (I play in an amateur symphonic band and in a saxophone
ensemble), which takes up a lot of time. I have found that learning
something new, and trying to become good at it, motivates me to spend more
time doing it. Hence, new sport = more exercise as well as, hopefully, more
fun. I also want to get my son involved in something he may enjoy doing for
his entire life.

Thanks,

Joe Ramirez

Old January 5th 04, 04:22 AM
Joe Ramirez

"Beloved Leader" wrote in message
om...
"Joe Ramirez" wrote in message

I'm planning to learn either snowboarding or skiing....
I'm interested in taking up
boarding or skiing because (1) they look like a lot of fun, (2) I could

use
more exercise in the winter, and (3) I love the mountains.
I live in Pittsburgh,...

Good for you. 42 is not to old to learn. Realistically, should you
keep up with either skiing or boarding or both, you can expect to
become someone who enjoys skiing or boarding as a social activity
rather than someone who is in the top 1% of skiers or boarders. Either
one is a fun way to get out of the house and enjoy the snow. Going
down a slope by the light of the full moon is a blast no matter what
you're riding.

Yes, I have no delusions about becoming a pro. I just want to become good
enough to enjoy some fast rides on exciting slopes without killing myself.

You, especially, are in luck, as January 8 is "Pennsylvania Learn to
Ski" day. On this day, resorts all over PA will have blocks of
tickets, for $10 each, that include the equipment rental and lift
ticket. How can you go wrong? Google for "pennsylvania learn to ski"
or "Pennsylvania Ski Areas Association". The PSSA website,
http://www.skipa.com/events.htm , says little about the event, so
visit a Pittsburgh ski or board shop or call a nearby ski area for
more information. It's an unbeatable deal. Tickets may be limited, so
don't tarry.

Actually, I'm out of luck, because Jan. 8 is a Thursday, and I have to work.
You're right that it's a great deal, but the timing is not so hot. Of
course, there may not be any snow in these parts anyway. The temperatures
have been in the 40s and 50s for the past week, and we've just had 48
straight hours of steady rain. I don't think it's been snowing anywhere
around here recently, not even in the mountains. I doubt that even Seven
Springs' snow machines can cope with this much rain.

In addtion, learning to board involves (requires?) falling. Much, much
falling. It hurts. Yes, you'll fall on skis too, but learning to ski
strikes me as a less painful experience. Skis, since they can be
spread apart, provide an intrinsic stability not available with a
board. Whatever your choice, don't forget the painkillers.

I certainly don't enjoy falling, but when I was learning to ice skate I was
able to endure what I needed to in order to get through the clumsy stage. In
fact, my first time on skates I ended up in the emergency room. I was in the
middle of the ice holding my wife's hand, and I fell, dragging her down as
well. Her skate blade sliced through my finger, and my brother had to drive
me to the hospital for stitches and a tetanus shot. Anyway, I suppose that
even hard packed snow is not as bad as an ice rink.

Thanks,

Joe Ramirez

Old January 5th 04, 04:28 AM
Joe Ramirez

"Mike T" wrote in message
I'm planning to learn either snowboarding or skiing and would like a

little
advice from enthusiasts about which sport to choose.

Many good points made on this thread... I will not repeat them...

...one approach would be to try both and pick the one you like better!
Most resorts offer lift/lesson/rental packages in both skiing and
snowboarding. That's a great place to start. Perhaps try each one a
few times and see which one you like better. IMHO it's always a good
idea to rent or demo before buying your own gear... making sure to pay
attention to what your renting so you have an idea what to buy.

Yes, I plan to take lessons and rent equipment before buying.

The same clothing can be used for both of course. Sure, pants and
jackets are often marketed specifically to skiers or boarders, but if
you go for function over fashion you'll probably end up with something
good for both. Living in Pittsburgh, you probably have most of
what you need already.

We just bought goggles and gloves yesterday (I already had a couple pairs of
gloves, but no waterproof ones). I also bought ski/board pants. We plan to
use jackets & hats that we already have. If we stick with it, we may buy
helmets.

For the record I skied for about 10 years, did no snowsports for 3, and
then started boarding at age 27. I'm 33 now and I plan to board my
entire life.

Another such vote. May I ask why? What converted you from skiing to
snowboarding?

Thanks,

Joe Ramirez

Old January 5th 04, 04:36 AM
Joe Ramirez

"Neil Gendzwill" wrote in message
om...
"Joe Ramirez" wrote in message

1. Am I correct about the learning curves of boarding vs. skiing? If

not,
what's the reality?

The first 2 days are tougher on a board than skis (you *will* be stiff
and sore). After that, snowboarding is a much faster path to
intermediate skill. Once you're an intermediate, I'd say the learning
curve to get to advanced/expert skill is about the same.

I don't know if I will be able to put in the time to become advanced in
either sport, but I certainly want to become an intermediate, so this is
comforting.

My skiing is rusty and my snowboarding pretty good, so with the
limited time I now have in the hills I tend to ride. If I could get
in more days I'd do both. If I could get in a lot of days I'd take up
telemarking. Sliding downhill on snow == big fun, no matter the
equipment.

Exactly what is telemarking? I've seen this term before but I don't know
what it means.

4. If I took up snowboarding and persevered long enough to become a

decent
rider, would I be able to hit the slopes with the brother and/or
brother-in-law (I mean the ones within my capabilities)? Or is there
something awkward about going snowboarding with skiers? Does one get

"left
in the dust," so to speak?

The best solution to riding with skiers is to use step-in bindings, to
avoid the main problem which is them having to wait around while you
fiddle with straps.

Aha. That sounds like good advice if I reach that stage.

In fact, at your age and with your goals, I'd
recommend hard boots with an Intec-compatible stepin and an
all-mountain board. See www.bomberonline.com for more info on the
hard-booting experience, and one of the friendliest and most helpful
online communities. In particular check out the welcome centre
(http://www.bomberonline.com/articles/welcome_center.cfm) and the
forums

(http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulleti...p?s=&forumid=2).

Why would hard boots be better than soft boots? I've been to the
bomberonline Web site already, but it seems to assume preexisting personal
experience of the difference between the two. Also, are hard boots for
snowboarding, as opposed to ski boots, difficult to find? Do most ski/board
shops carry them, or are they a specialty item?

Thanks,

Joe Ramirez

Old January 5th 04, 05:03 AM
4matic

I do both. Ice skating technique is very similar to alpine skiing and not
like snowboarding at all so skiing will be easier at first for you. I ski
when it's icy or if I'm tired. Boarding requires more concentration and
focus.

At your age you'll have trouble getting passed the intermediate level on
skis after many years. OTOH
you could get to be an advanced snowboarder in a
couple years. IMO it takes about 20 days to become a "good" snowboarder.

Old January 5th 04, 01:56 PM
Dean

Joe Ramirez wrote:

I'm planning to learn either snowboarding or skiing and would like a little
advice from enthusiasts about which sport to choose. I'm 42 and have no
previous experience with snow sports.

Joe, I'm 48. I started boarding at age 47. I have no plans to stop. I did not
downhill ski before starting to snowboard. I'm usually the oldest person on a
board in my area, and often the only adult. I never wanted to ski. Boarding
looked like too much fun to not try it.

Much depends upon your physical condition. If you are out of condition then any
sport can result in serious injury. Ice skating can be good conditioning for
your legs. I skated for several years before starting boarding.

Find a good instructor. Get a helmet.

Dean

Old January 5th 04, 01:59 PM
ACey

"Joe Ramirez" wrote in
:

"Neil Gendzwill" wrote in message
om...
"Joe Ramirez" wrote in message

1. Am I correct about the learning curves of boarding vs. skiing?
If

not,
what's the reality?

The first 2 days are tougher on a board than skis (you *will* be
stiff and sore). After that, snowboarding is a much faster path to
intermediate skill. Once you're an intermediate, I'd say the
learning curve to get to advanced/expert skill is about the same.

I don't know if I will be able to put in the time to become advanced
in either sport, but I certainly want to become an intermediate, so
this is comforting.

This is so true. Unless you live in the mountains and can ski pretty much
all winter, you'll have real difficulty getting beyond intermediate level
skiing - it just demands too much time input to progress. From that
point, boarding is much better, as it seems to be a continuous learning
curve, whereas with skiing you reach a plateau.

My skiing is rusty and my snowboarding pretty good, so with the
limited time I now have in the hills I tend to ride. If I could get
in more days I'd do both. If I could get in a lot of days I'd take
up telemarking. Sliding downhill on snow == big fun, no matter the
equipment.

Exactly what is telemarking? I've seen this term before but I don't
know what it means.

It's the original Scandinavian type of turn - using ski bindings which
are only fixed at the toe. When you turn you slide the inner leg forward
and outer leg back, lifting your back heel from the ski and pressuring
the ski through your forefoot. It's great fun, very elegant, and bl**dy
difficult. (I tele as well as board - like 'em equally, although much,
much better on a board!)

For what it's worth, I say board. Get a few lessons and a helmet, have
fun.

AC.
Old January 5th 04, 03:30 PM
Mike T

Well, remember that I'm no expert, but from what I've read, "freeride"
is
sort of in between freestyle and alpine, though closer to the latter.

The
emphasis is on going down the slope rather than on jumping or doing

tricks,
but perhaps without alpine's emphasis on speed and race-oriented

equipment.

I believe the group FAQ http://rssfaq.org addresses the definition...

-Mike T

Old January 5th 04, 03:34 PM
Mike T

Another such vote. May I ask why? What converted you from skiing to
snowboarding?

My wife did! She tried boarding while we were dating (I wasn't with
her) and gushed about it. So later that winter we went together, and I
haven't looked back since. Little did she know, she was creating a
monster!

Mike T