Christmas 2006 suggestion

Old November 30th 06, 05:00 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Memascii

Default Christmas 2006 suggestion

Hi,

We would like to go skiing at christmas, however the missus' family
are visiting us until Boxing day. This still leaves 6 days until
we have to go back to work on the 2nd (we live near Frankfurt AM, so
can set off somewhere as soon as we've dropped them off at the
airport) but obviously as this is not Sat to Sat, etc. a chalet or
apartment is almost certainly out to the question and quite possibly
hotels won't be too keen/have availability either.

I'm thinking that the best way forward will be to look for a hotel
a distance from some resort and drive up every day. This isn't ideal,
but seems the plan most likely to result in getting any skiing in at
all.

I guess depending on the snow, somewhere like Innsbruck might be a
good start as it looks as if there are a lot of different slopes
within driving distance. Any other ideas would be great?

Cheers.
Iain.

Old November 30th 06, 06:01 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
The Older Gentleman

Memascii wrote:

We would like to go skiing at christmas

Looks at no-snow reports

Wouldn't we all.

--
BMW K1100LT 750SS CB400F CD250 Z650
GAGARPHOF#30 GHPOTHUF#1 BOTAFOT#60 ANORAK#06 YTC#3
Old November 30th 06, 07:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Charles Sweeney

Memascii wrote

Hi,

We would like to go skiing at christmas, however the missus' family
are visiting us until Boxing day. This still leaves 6 days until
we have to go back to work on the 2nd (we live near Frankfurt AM, so
can set off somewhere as soon as we've dropped them off at the
airport) but obviously as this is not Sat to Sat, etc. a chalet or
apartment is almost certainly out to the question and quite possibly
hotels won't be too keen/have availability either.

For the second year in a row I'm going to an apartment in Chamonix,
Wednesday to Wednesday. Can't speak for other resorts, but I wouldn't
instantly rule out the mid-weeks for accomodation.

--
Charles Sweeney
http://CharlesSweeney.com
Old November 30th 06, 07:48 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Rod

as this is not Sat to Sat, etc. a chalet or
apartment is almost certainly out to the question and quite possibly
hotels won't be too keen/have availability either.

My experience last year in Les Gets was that it was pretty quiet on
Christmas Day and the first half of the week. The resorts may not fill
up until closer to New Year.

Rod
Old December 1st 06, 07:50 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Memascii

On Nov 30, 9:11 pm, Charles Sweeney wrote:
Memascii wrote
apartment is almost certainly out to the question and quite possibly
hotels won't be too keen/have availability either.

For the second year in a row I'm going to an apartment in Chamonix,
Wednesday to Wednesday. Can't speak for other resorts, but I wouldn't
instantly rule out the mid-weeks for accomodation.

Chamonix was another place I was considering, can I
ask who you booked your apartment there through?

Cheers.
Iain.

Old December 1st 06, 10:34 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 19:01:15 +0000,
(The Older Gentleman) wrote:

Memascii wrote:

We would like to go skiing at christmas

Looks at no-snow reports

Wouldn't we all.

This'll be the first time in nearly 15 years that we're not skiing at
christmas.

Does that make it all my fault?
--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Ski Club of Great Britain -
Old December 1st 06, 10:58 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Stan Mullery

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 20:48:42 +0000, Rod wrote:

as this is not Sat to Sat, etc. a chalet or
apartment is almost certainly out to the question and quite possibly
hotels won't be too keen/have availability either.

My experience last year in Les Gets was that it was pretty quiet on
Christmas Day and the first half of the week. The resorts may not fill
up until closer to New Year.

Rod

I would suggest that you wait until the week of the 18th. Pick a
shortlist of resorts that you like based upon SNOW.

Call the local tourist offices. Anyone that offers accomodation
through them and has vacancies for 26 - 29th will bite your hand off.

Stan
Old December 1st 06, 12:30 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Matt T

Stan Mullery wrote:

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 20:48:42 +0000, Rod wrote:

as this is not Sat to Sat, etc. a chalet or
apartment is almost certainly out to the question and quite possibly
hotels won't be too keen/have availability either.

My experience last year in Les Gets was that it was pretty quiet on
Christmas Day and the first half of the week. The resorts may not fill
up until closer to New Year.

Rod

I would suggest that you wait until the week of the 18th. Pick a
shortlist of resorts that you like based upon SNOW.

Call the local tourist offices. Anyone that offers accomodation
through them and has vacancies for 26 - 29th will bite your hand off.

Stan

Yup - I think Stan's on the money. Feeling I get at the moment is that
there are a lot of people waiting to see what happens next week before
making Christmas plans. New Years on the other hand is a bit more
booked up. No hard and fast evidence for this - I only have air travel
prices and my wife's childcare bookings to go on.

Matt

International Skier Opens 2006 Instructor Training Programs International Skier Alpine Skiing 0 October 18th 05 09:11 PM
Christmas 2005 Ski Trip BostonJD Alpine Skiing 3 February 3rd 05 06:35 AM
BC Christmas Vacation RR Snowboarding 2 October 22nd 04 03:09 PM
Merry Christmas to all of you in rec.skiing.alpine... :-) (03) Stig Arne Bye Alpine Skiing 11 December 26th 03 03:57 PM
Skiing in North America over Christmas - Do not want to go to Whistler. How about Fernie or Kirkwood? Markus Hornkvist Alpine Skiing 51 October 10th 03 02:48 PM