isn't snowboarding better?

Old April 18th 06, 11:23 AM

[ ]

Yebbut, apart from the telemark weirdos, don't you have to remove the
ski to adjust the binding from uphill-free-heel to
downhill-fixed-heel? (You can probably tell that I don't ski :-)

Now, I'm one of those telemark weirdos, but my friend with AT can fix
the heel by just pushing down the lock thing with his pole.

Martin
--
"An ideal world is left as an exercise to the reader."
-Paul Graham, On Lisp
Old April 18th 06, 12:07 PM

Champ wrote:

Yebbut, apart from the telemark weirdos, don't you have to remove the
ski to adjust the binding from uphill-free-heel to
downhill-fixed-heel? (You can probably tell that I don't ski :-)

Not on any halfway decent randonee binding you don't.

Biggest faff in changing modes to Down is doing my boots up tight as the
buckles are inside my gaiters (but with velcro only opening and no zip
that's not exactly a headache).

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old April 18th 06, 09:41 PM

In article ,
Kurt Knisely wrote:
There is the fiddle-factor w/ split boards, but you're saving all that
weight of carrying approach skis or snowshoes. For dyed-in-the-wool (err,

Ssssh! You are letting them on in their prep time and my ski time.

something like that) backcountry snowboarders, the splitboard seems to be
the logical choice. They're not going to be riding a cafeteria tray in
undulating terrain.

Actually, I know guys who would take a tray just to take a tray.

But to match your uphill, I think it was one of the Duckboy books
which has the rocket powered toboggan.

Rocket powered toboggan? What if you miss the switchback?

Hey it's Duckboy humor. It's the last if not next to last photo in the
book. It might be on the guys web site. BUT the postcards I like from
the series are "The militia gets its first battleship" [first I
purchased] and "Honey roll over your are snoring...." with the husband
running, a mountain lion on his sleeping bag and sleepy wife.

Old April 18th 06, 09:42 PM

In article ,
klaus wrote:
Ed Huesers wrote:
Who ever taught you how to *rocket toboggan*?
You'll need a periscope too.

??
Don't they call those SkiDoos?

Alaskans refer to SkiDoo as snow machines.

Old April 18th 06, 09:47 PM

In article , dan wrote:
But if you ski up, you still need to remove the skins, so do you have
someone else do it or take off your skis?

While I go both solo and crewed, most people I know take their own skins off
by themselves.
I've got down with the sticky skins to take them off in 2 pulls in
reasonable conditions (each). But I do no need to remove my skis.
Other people I know take skis and skins off, might take a water and
snack break, etc. Even the couples I know tend to individually take own
skins off (never seen a boyfriend or girlfriend do it for the other).
They might wax one anothers skis. But then they have to living with
waxing mistakes.

Old April 19th 06, 03:48 AM

Eugene Miya wrote:
klaus wrote:
Ed Huesers wrote:
Who ever taught you how to *rocket toboggan*?
You'll need a periscope too.

??

In days of old, we had a toboggan at our snowcave for a couple
seasons. We would build ourselves a flat snow platform to get everyone
on the toboggan and then have someone push us off.
The problem was seeing where you are going when going down powder.
The front guy is the one that was supposed to be able to see and avoid
the boulders but the powder came up over the front of the toboggan
enough that one could hardly breath yet alone see.
We made sure that we started someplace where we couldn't hit any
boulders before we went out on a lake and came to a stop. The toboggan
was quite easy to turn as we did a few blind turns and the turns and the
entire ride were pretty heavenly.
There was another long run that would have required being able to
see so we could miss a few hazards. The run had a drift that we could
have jumped and been airborne for 40 ft. or more and only a couple feet
off the snow.
Well, we always dreamed of shotting a video of us coming out of a
boiling cloud of powder and into the air.
We never got around to the periscope.

Don't they call those SkiDoos?

Alaskans refer to SkiDoo as snow machines.

I thought they were snowmobiles and snow machines make snow at ski
areas.

Ed Huesers
Http://www.grandshelters.com
Old April 19th 06, 07:05 PM

"dan" wrote in message
Yes, certainly- I was picturing an outing with the intention of gaining
altitude, in order to snowboard back down. But don't misunderstand- I
don't snowboard, so it isn't a situation I ever find myself in. I'm
certainly not about to snowshoe up, in order to swap gear and ski down!

-s-

But if you ski up, you still need to remove the skins, so do you have
someone else do it or take off your skis?

As other people have mentioned, with practice, you can remove skins without
taking off your skis (putting them on is a bit harder). In rolling terrain,
I will usually descend small slopes with the skins still on, sometimes
without even locking down my heels. Definetely covering the distance faster
on skis than on snowshoes. But thats all besides the point; whether you
stop to remove skins or not, you still aren't carrying a whole different set
of equipment on your back.

-s-

Old April 19th 06, 07:08 PM

"dan" wrote in message
You mean there are people out there who go snowshoeing
just to snowshoe? :-)

My thoughts exactly

-s-

Balancing is much easier on snowshoes. Skis take quite a bit more
experience before they become easier, so neophytes like shoes, and some
people who don't like falling like the stability on the downhill sections.

Some people just like a hike in the woods, even when it is white.

Dan

I suppose for someone who just wants a way to access the wilderness during
the winter, the initial cost is significantly lower for snowshoes.

-s-