Back Country Skiing?

Old March 7th 06, 10:59 PM

In article ,
Martin Thornquist wrote:
I'm not sure about the exact scientific classification, but basically
a valley glacier runs down just one valley, while a plateau glacier
covers several valleys and the ridges between them.

There there are about 4 qualitative glacier types like ice sheets,
valley glaciers, piedmont, etc. Right now only ice sheets (the 2 big ones)
matter. A new beginners DVD on the topic si coming out shortly.

sci.geo.geology topic.

Old March 8th 06, 04:12 AM

Eugene Miya wrote:
Ed net.bear.polar Huesers wrote:

Damn, that's a paragraph in itself.

Grrrr. Great thread guys, thanks.

Not much to it.

Oh, Martin and you have known each other longer... Ulrich, he
painted a picture that fits the picture I have been painting in my mind
of his area.

Low traffic.

Yeah, It'll dry up soon as the only ones skiing are the die hards.
Some people just don't know how long winter really is.

Ulrich, what's this about igloos...?

8^) Trolling!

Well, here I am bitting on your's.
I really am curious as to whether an igloo mania has infused
Ulrich's area. I find things like this:
http://www.igluzern.ch/simo/sm_iglubau_anders.htm and I wonder just what
is really going on.

Ed Huesers
Http://www.grandshelters.com
Old March 8th 06, 09:18 PM

Old March 8th 06, 09:34 PM

In article ,

Eugene Miya wrote:
Not much to it.

Oh, Martin and you have known each other longer... Ulrich, he
painted a picture that fits the picture I have been painting in my mind
of his area.

He, like you, are certainly on the X-mas and post card list.
I have to fix broke addresses.

I just spent over 2 weeks in Ulrich's country, and I work with people
from his Federal govt. [I have to prep for 2 coming to the US as well
as the ones who already work here.] They bought almost $2B in defense
hardware in the 90s, and they have bigger ambitions as well as improving
their economy.

Low traffic.

Yeah, It'll dry up soon as the only ones skiing are the die hards.
Some people just don't know how long winter really is.

Switch hemispheres.
Powder will stop flying in the North. I have to now also prep for
Alaska (this means soon to fill the pockets with 12 gauge slugs).

Ulrich, what's this about igloos...?

8^) Trolling!

Well, here I am bitting on your's.

Merely made note.

I really am curious as to whether an igloo mania has infused
Ulrich's area.

Well, I can tell you, if you made igloos more like teepees, they would
really take off. There are places there very big on North American Indians.
I saw some Western themed restaurant down the Rhone not too far from the
Matterhorn (which has a bar itself also in a teepee). And my last ski
day there was a teepee bar and a fiberglass Indian chief.

Snow shelter building: basic skill.

Old March 8th 06, 10:59 PM

Am Samstag, den 04.03.2006, 19:06 -0700 schrieb Ed Huesers:

Grrrr. Great thread guys, thanks.
Ulrich, what's this about igloos...?

Sorry Ed, that's for my English :-(

What i meant were those emergency huts (bivouac), often built of metall
sheet and in form of a ton or an igloo (an example, it's from Abruzzen
and not the Alps, but the concept is the same:
http://www.montescudaio.com/fabio/im...ccomaiella.jpg
)

Greetings,

Ulrich

Old March 8th 06, 11:35 PM

Am Dienstag, den 07.03.2006, 12:30 +0000 schrieb Champ:
On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 17:59:31 +0100, Ulrich Hausmann
wrote:

No, we have, but not so much. One of the plateau glaciers is just in
front of me (15 km distant in direct line): Plateau du Trient (just as
an example: http://www.christianengl.de/Trient1.jpg )

Ooh, I've snowboarded off that.

That's good! :-)

And, to annoy the purists - I got a heli ride up there :-)

That's less good. Not because i'm a purist but because i'm seriously
convinced that's the wrong way in a that much frequented zone like the
Alps.

Have a look at this (esp. 5.2):
http://www.mountainwilderness.ch/fil.../mb_doc_FR.pdf

Greetings,

Ulrich

Old March 9th 06, 09:56 AM

wrote:

No, we have, but not so much. One of the plateau glaciers is just in
front of me (15 km distant in direct line): Plateau du Trient (just as
an example: http://www.christianengl.de/Trient1.jpg )

Ooh, I've snowboarded off that.

That's good! :-)

It was :-)

And, to annoy the purists - I got a heli ride up there :-)

Just to add - the heli ride dropped us on the edge of the plateau. We
still had a hike of between 1 and 2 hours to get to the route that we
used. The guide told us that heli access to that Plateau was
restricted, with only one drop point. I should also add that while we
were up there a small single engine plan landed on the plateau!

That's less good. Not because i'm a purist but because i'm seriously
convinced that's the wrong way in a that much frequented zone like the
Alps.

Have a look at this (esp. 5.2):
http://www.mountainwilderness.ch/fil.../mb_doc_FR.pdf

My French is only jutt good enough to make sense of that. I'm
agnostic about whether heli access within the alps is good or bad.
While it's allowed, I'll use it.
--
Champ
Old March 9th 06, 12:49 PM

Booker C. Bense
I also find it interesting that the definition makes little sense
to Europeans where even the lift served skiing is generally more
"backcountry" than in the USA.

Hah!

If there's a lift, it ain't backcountry. And coasting
(lift-served "skiing") isn't skiing. Besides, there's much
more to Europe than a few crowded Central European countries,
and especially so backcountrywise.

As discussed before, I think on r.s.nordic rather recently,
in the Nordic countries downhill or alpine "skiing" isn't called
- nor considered - skiing. (Admittably, and unfortunately, this
might be changing though.)
Old March 9th 06, 01:29 PM

MB wrote:

If there's a lift, it ain't backcountry. And coasting
(lift-served "skiing") isn't skiing.

So if I skin/walk up a hill and then coast down, that is skiing, but if
I start at the top, it isn't?

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old March 9th 06, 01:30 PM

On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 12:49:52 GMT, MB *@*.* wrote:

Booker C. Bense
I also find it interesting that the definition makes little sense
to Europeans where even the lift served skiing is generally more
"backcountry" than in the USA.

Hah!

If there's a lift, it ain't backcountry.

It isn't?

So, if I get a lift to the top of a ski area, and then hike for
another 4 hours to cross a ridge and ride down the other side into a
valley which has no other access, then that's not backcountry?

What is it then?
--
Champ

Skid, slip, and carved turn yunlong Alpine Skiing 96 February 22nd 05 08:27 PM
History of "Master" category in cross country skiing?? Tim Kelley Nordic Skiing 8 November 8th 04 05:36 AM
Head Lamp for Night Cross Country Skiing Bill Cotton Alpine Skiing 0 February 3rd 04 09:36 PM
Skiing in Utah BRL Nordic Skiing 5 November 25th 03 07:43 PM
Cross Country Skiing - where to go? Alan Nordic Skiing 2 November 20th 03 08:21 PM