Donek boards?

Old July 30th 04, 04:57 AM
The Blur

Default Donek boards?

Ok guys, maybe I don't have my snowboard terms correct. I just know at
Whistler it can get real bumpy, especially because they don't groom the runs
much. When I start to hit a lot of the bumps, my board has a tendency to
"launch" and I get air, land in the middle of a bump and crash. Like I
said, maybe I am not good enough yet to handle this and it is probably a
matter of technique. I have ridden softer boards with more flex and had an
easier time on the bumps.

I hope this makes some sense.

"Dean" wrote in message
The Blur wrote:

Except for choppy snow,
the Donek works great for me.

Please explain what you mean by choppy snow and the problem you have
experienced with it.

I find my Wide 161 to be far better in what I would call choppy snow. My
old board would bounce (flex and rebound). My Donek slices right
through.

Dean

Old July 30th 04, 06:12 AM
Brian

I know what you mean. I've experienced on that board myself. Look, the
Wide is a carving board. Plain and simple. And while some of you claim to
like it for all mountain riding - bumps, groomers, trees, etc - I think that
is in spite of how it is designed, not because of it. The board was clearly
capable of speeds faster than I was comfortable taking it to. I don't think
there is anyway I could have taken it to its limit, even on a race course.
And it stuck a carve so well that it was difficult to make it do anything
OTHER than carve!! These were its strengths and undoubtedly what it was
designed for. I don't think anybody would argue.

Brian.

Old July 30th 04, 11:17 AM
Switters

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 04:57:32 GMT, "The Blur"
allegedly wrote:

Ok guys, maybe I don't have my snowboard terms correct. I just know
at Whistler it can get real bumpy, especially because they don't groom
the runs much.

Are you talking about moguls? For example, if you're queuing for the
Jersey Cream Express (I think it's name is) on Blackcomb, then on the left
hand side there's a major mogul run that drops down from the cat track.

Or are you referring more to the general chopped up piste that you get
like the run down to Ravens in the afternoon?

- Dave.

http://www.vpas.org/ - Snowboarding the worlds pow pow -
Securing your e-mail

The Snowboard FAQ lives here - http://rssFAQ.org/
Old July 30th 04, 03:08 PM

Kevin Morrison wrote:
Rick,

We have 6 boards that will work great for what you want to do. All

have a
waist of 25.5 or above. From softest to stiffest here they are.

Twin 161, Phoenix160, Phoenix 163 wide, Phoenix165, and Wide 161 or

Wide 165
.

The Twin and Phoenix aren't on the website yet so if you have any

questions
email or give me a call.

--
Kevin Morrison
Donek Snowboards

Kevin, this is not and has never been an advertising forum.
Thanks.

Brian.

Old July 30th 04, 04:40 PM
Kevin Morrison

Brian,

I'm sorry if you thought it was an advert. I was just trying to help Rick
with board selection. I have been answering his further questions via email
instead of posting in the forum in order to avoid such an accusation. Once
again my apologies.

Kevin

Old July 31st 04, 03:48 AM
Dmitry

"Kevin Morrison" wrote

I'm sorry if you thought it was an advert. I was just trying to help Rick
with board selection. I have been answering his further questions via email
instead of posting in the forum in order to avoid such an accusation. Once
again my apologies.

Kevin, no need to apologise. It was very useful to know we've got a Donek
rep in Seattle. Woo-hoo! Add a Catek rep and I'd be happy.

When the season starts, will you have demos available? This may actually
tip the scales (the plan for now is a Nitro Darkhorse for the next season).

Speaking of Donek boars, is there anything you would recommend
as a powder board (read: second board) for a 160lbs 5'11" guy
foot size 9.5, high-intermediate to good level of riding? I was
on an old 158 Timeless and a 158 Carbon Circle last season, and
they were too short for me even for no-powder days.

--
Dmitry, riding a 17m kite and 137cm board these days :0

Old July 31st 04, 04:31 AM
Kevin Morrison

Dmitry,
I have Twin demos now and will hopefully have Catek Freerides soon.
As for your other questions just send me an email or give me a call. I'll
be at the Highland Games in Enumclaw this weekend so I probably won't be
able to get back to you right away (unless you call tonight).

--
Kevin Morrison
Donek Snowboards

"Kevin Morrison" wrote

Old July 31st 04, 10:35 PM
The Blur

Definately the latter, like on upper Olympic, right after you make the turn
from the Roundhouse. I ususally slow it down until I am past Chickpea.

Old August 2nd 04, 01:18 PM
Barney

wrote in message

Kevin Morrison wrote:
Rick,

We have 6 boards that will work great for what you want to do. All

have a
waist of 25.5 or above. From softest to stiffest here they are.

Twin 161, Phoenix160, Phoenix 163 wide, Phoenix165, and Wide 161 or

Wide 165
.

The Twin and Phoenix aren't on the website yet so if you have any

questions
email or give me a call.

--
Kevin Morrison
Donek Snowboards

Kevin, this is not and has never been an advertising forum.
Thanks.

IMO, Kevin wasn't advertising. Personally, I have no problem with folk from
companies providing helpful info, which is what Kevin did.

Aside from that, Donek are a bit of an institution here on r.s.s, and it
wouldn't be the same without Sean popping in the odd comment about the
boards he makes, and that are clearly so well-loved by a lot of the riders
here.