Morzine

Old January 21st 08, 12:18 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe

Default Morzine

Hi,

Me and 18 mates are off to Morzine in a few weeks, and are really
looking forward to it. At the moment we're all just trying to get as
much info about the place as possible, particularly the skiing.

I've read on various websites that it's often best to catch the bus to
Lindarets or Prodain if you're heading up towards Avoriaz from
Morzine, as opposed to getting the Super Morzine and fiddling your way
across that way. Does it really take that much longer? And are the
queues for the Super Morzine lft very bad? The chalet we're staying
in, seems almost half way to Montriond as far as we can tell, so I
suppose a bus to Lindarets/ Ardent wouldn't be too far. Also, looking
on GoogleEarth, there appears to be a cleared track from the top of
the SuperMorzine lift down diagonally to the bottom of the valley.
There doesn't appear to be a lift or a run here. Anyone got any ideas
what it is? Guess I'm being a bit hopeful in hoping that it's a
'secret' track!

Another thing, we're finding it hard to get decent piste maps online.
I'm sure we'll be able to pick up some from the lift pass office when
we arrive, but for now, we can find a detailed one of the Morzine/ Les
Gets area, and one for the whole of the Portes de Soleil which is from
a long way out, and sometimes it's a bit tricky to tell what's going
on. Is there a similar detailed Avoriaz piste map anywhere, or is it a
nightmare to find your way around?

Cheers
Old January 21st 08, 12:39 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Paul S

wrote in message
Hi,

Me and 18 mates are off to Morzine in a few weeks, and are really
looking forward to it. At the moment we're all just trying to get as
much info about the place as possible, particularly the skiing.

I've read on various websites that it's often best to catch the bus to
Lindarets or Prodain if you're heading up towards Avoriaz from
Morzine, as opposed to getting the Super Morzine and fiddling your way
across that way. Does it really take that much longer? And are the
queues for the Super Morzine lft very bad? The chalet we're staying
in, seems almost half way to Montriond as far as we can tell, so I
suppose a bus to Lindarets/ Ardent wouldn't be too far.

IIRC the bus from Lindarets, just goes to the town centre, so you'd have to
change to get to Prodains. To get to Super Morzine you'll have to walk
across the bridge and catch the gondola. BTW We found it quicker to cross
the bridge and catch the little train as a route to the main Morzine pistes

However you're right, it will be quite slow to get out of the super Morzine
section.

Catch the bus to Lindarets and there is a decent choice of places to go,
left to Chatel , right to Avoriaz, and straight & up to Switzerland

Also, looking
on GoogleEarth, there appears to be a cleared track from the top of
the SuperMorzine lift down diagonally to the bottom of the valley.
There doesn't appear to be a lift or a run here. Anyone got any ideas
what it is? Guess I'm being a bit hopeful in hoping that it's a
'secret' track!

Perhaps its the gondola ?

Another thing, we're finding it hard to get decent piste maps online.
I'm sure we'll be able to pick up some from the lift pass office when
we arrive, but for now, we can find a detailed one of the Morzine/ Les
Gets area, and one for the whole of the Portes de Soleil which is from
a long way out, and sometimes it's a bit tricky to tell what's going
on. Is there a similar detailed Avoriaz piste map anywhere, or is it a
nightmare to find your way around?

Cheers

The lift maps are confusing, the area & maps are divided into sectors,
sometimes the interconnections are not at all obvious. IMHO The supplied
lift map is as good as it gets.

Anyway enjoy

--
Paul S

Old January 21st 08, 02:42 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe

Re the piste maps - have a look at the interactive one on the Avoriaz
website:
http://www.avoriaz.com/vacances-ski/...des-pistes.php

I'd second using Lindarets as your starting point - particularly if
you are out that end of Morzine.

Have a good one

Chris
www.skifamille.co.uk
Old January 21st 08, 05:38 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Mister Niceguy

wrote in news:381dc70e-0300-4296-9c30-
:

Re the piste maps - have a look at the interactive one on the Avoriaz
website:
http://www.avoriaz.com/vacances-ski/...des-pistes.php

I'd second using Lindarets as your starting point - particularly if
you are out that end of Morzine.

Have a good one

Chris
www.skifamille.co.uk

A few years ago when there was too little snow at Morzine we used Lindorets
as the main access to the area, partly because the snow was better on that
side of the mountain and partly because the queues funneling through to
Avoriaz were immense.
Old January 22nd 08, 08:53 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Memascii

On Jan 21, 2:18*pm, wrote:
Hi,

Me and 18 mates are off to Morzine in a few weeks, and are really
looking forward to it. At the moment we're all just trying to get as
much info about the place as possible, particularly the skiing.

Hi,

I don't know specifically about Morzine, but in general, the PdS piste
maps
have a difficult to understand map of the whole PdS on one side and a
map
of the sector where you pick up the map on the other. e.g. There's
one
map for Chapelle d'Abondance/Torgon another for Chatel/Linga/Pre de
Loup
another for Morgins/Champery and presumably others for Avoriaz,
Morzine and
Les Gets. It's a bit of a PITA because the first time you're there,
when
you change from one sector to another, you're a bit lost until you get
down
to a base station and pick up the appropriate map.

Actually, I just found this showing the different sectors:

http://www.skimorgins.com/Winter/pistemap.htm

I've heard rumours of a booklet containing detailed maps of all the
sectors,
not chanced upon one yet though.

The cable car up to Avoriaz can get really busy, but there's a two man
chair
a couple of hundred yards away which will get you up there in a round-
about
way.

Cheers.
Iain.
Old January 23rd 08, 07:47 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Paul S

"Memascii" wrote in message
On Jan 21, 2:18 pm, wrote:
Hi,

Me and 18 mates are off to Morzine in a few weeks, and are really
looking forward to it. At the moment we're all just trying to get as
much info about the place as possible, particularly the skiing.

....snipsy...

I've heard rumours of a booklet containing detailed maps of all the sectors,
not chanced upon one yet though.

*** I've been 3 times and have always been given a booklet with my lift
pass, If you don't get one just check at any of the main access points or
tourist offices and you should be able to pick one up.

--

Paul S

Old January 23rd 08, 11:31 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe

Cheers guys, all useful stuff! Seeing as you all seem to know a bit
about the place, I thought I'd pick your brains about a couple of
other things. As we're a mixed ability group, some of our number will
be having lessons, and hiring equipment. Some beginners, and some
intermediate. In past years, when we've stayed in other areas, we've
either gone for ESF or other schools that do group lessons. I know
some people complain about the ESF, and am aware that there's a lot of
variability between different areas branches. Any problems with the
school in Morzine? The other schools I can find don't seem to do the
group lesson thing, and mini-groups or private tuition seems a bit
pricey, and I don't think we're looking to break the bank. We're all
adults, so there's no worries about Kids being forgotten in big groups
etc. Also, we were thinking of hiring from Skiset, any experience with
them here?

Thanks again!

Tim
Old January 23rd 08, 01:36 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Paul S

wrote in message
[...]

Tim, there are several ESF "branches" around that area. If you intend to use
Les Lindarets as your starting point why don't you use the ESF there? My
mate had lessons there and said they were great. If you want to pay more
there are a couple of English ski schools that have a good reputation - IIRC
they are BASS and AASS in Morzine and Avoriaz respectively

Also the Les Gets bowl is really good for mixed ability party as there are
runs of all colours from the top of the lifts, plus a bit of between
piste/under lift skiing if you're feeling up for something different.

--

Paul S

Old January 25th 08, 06:05 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Excess

On Jan 23, 12:31*pm, wrote:
[...]

I can certainly recommend the ESF as they are used to English speaking
clients. For ski equipment I only know Sport2000. Can get you a deal
on 18 people - if you are interested email me xs AT peakretreats DOT
co.UK

XS
Peak Retreats http://www.peakretreats.co.uk/ski/morzine.htm
Ski Collection http://www.skicollection.co.uk

Morzine.... cupra European Ski Resorts 7 October 25th 07 08:06 PM
Morzine accomodation Ace European Ski Resorts 4 January 29th 07 11:25 AM
Les Gets, Morzine & Avoriaz DJHACK European Ski Resorts 3 April 15th 06 06:08 PM
Morzine Hotels Snorer European Ski Resorts 2 January 5th 06 09:58 AM
Where to stay Morzine/les Gets Rod Jenkins European Ski Resorts 5 October 11th 04 08:17 PM